[sci.space.shuttle] SRB solutions

rossh@umd5.umd.edu (Hollis "NeXT-Dood" Ross) (10/17/89)

What was the results of the Rogers Commision, ie what did
NASA change.  I seem to recall that just another O-Ring was
added.

Someone mentioned (in this newsgroup) that he thought that
a segmented SRB is a very bad idea.  Is a non-segmented
SRB actually feasible without costing 1/2 of the current
defense budget? How much more expensive would it be to make
a Double wall SRB and would that be too heavy?.

An off the wall question:  If enough fuel were available,
would it be possible for the shuttle to make a journey to
lunar orbit.  How long can the shuttle stay up, what are
the constraints for power, air, ect.

Hollis Ross
rossh@umd5.umd.edu

/*****************************************************************************/
For a transcript of this posting, send $3 (Usenet dollars or I-Net Express only)
to rossh@umd5.umd.edu or rossh@umdd (Bitnet).  Taxes, tags, titles, destination
charges, dealer prep and Usenet Flame Guards(C) extra. "Bo knows IBM 360 JCL"

goldader@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Jeff Goldader) (10/18/89)

In article <5474@umd5.umd.edu> rossh@umd5.umd.edu (Hollis "NeXT-Dood" Ross) writes:
>What was the results of the Rogers Commision, ie what did
>NASA change.  I seem to recall that just another O-Ring was
>added.

Well, it was more than that.  The SRBs are made in segments, as you know;
some of these segments are connected at the factory; in a fit of fancy,
they were named "factory joints;" some are put together in the field (i.e.
at KSC); they are called "field joints."  The old design used a "tang and
clevis" design, which was basically like this:

                 |	Upper segment
  Segment A      |
                 ^
	  	/ \
	       |   |
  Tang  --->   | | |
	       |o| |
	       |o| |
     Clevis ---> |
   Segment B	 |	Lower segment

where the two O-rings were on the inner side of the tang, shown here as two
small "o"s.  For various reasons, although the design was supposed to ensure
that at least one of the two O-rings always seated properly in its gap,
the design failed.  For Challenger, they failed to seat because they were
so cold that they had lost sufficient resiliency (springiness) that they
didn't deform correctly to fit the gap in the few milliseconds they had
to do so (before the pressure of combustion deformed the booster to such
an extent that proper seating was impossible).

The new design helps fix this.  It's called a "double tang" design:

                 |	Upper segment

                 ^
	  	/ \
	       |   |
  Tang  --->   | | | |
	       |o|o| |
	       |o| | |
		 |   | <--- Tang
		 |   |
		  \ /	Lower segment

The "double tang" design helps the new third O-ring seat, even of the inner two
fail to properly seat.  It's supposed to be tolerant ofinstallation error
and such.  The basic idea is that if the pressure is so great that the
joint is deformed to such an extent that the inner O-rings cannot seat, it will
be great enough to *force* the outer O-ring to seat.

I haven't heard of any O-ring problems since the resumption of flights;
such things were very common with the old design (it was called "blow-by,"
at term which meant that the O-rings had not seated correctly, and hot gas
was blowing by the rings)

>Someone mentioned (in this newsgroup) that he thought that
>a segmented SRB is a very bad idea.  Is a non-segmented
>SRB actually feasible without costing 1/2 of the current
>defense budget? How much more expensive would it be to make
>a Double wall SRB and would that be too heavy?.

Well, you don't need a double wall.  What you need is the ability to cast
the solid fuel in a long motor.  The reason they were segmented in the
first place was that the technology didn't exist at the time to make
a consistent grain the size of an SRB (the fuel is poured in as a very
viscous fluid, and allowed to harden in the motor).

I remember Aerojet (or was it Hercules?) saying that they had the know-how
to cast the fuel into something the size of an SRB, but NASA didn't listen.
They are using another segmented design for the Advanced SRM, rather than
a single-section or (better yet) a liquid-fueled booster.

Of course, the idea of a non-segmented booster is that you can't have
Challenger-type joint failures....

As to expense, NASA is spending $$$ for the Advanced Solid Rocket Motor,
and I don't see how the no-joint version could cost much more.  I'd rather
spend the money making a safe booster than replacing the next lost shuttle.

>An off the wall question:  If enough fuel were available,
>would it be possible for the shuttle to make a journey to
>lunar orbit.  How long can the shuttle stay up, what are
>the constraints for power, air, ect.

Well, no.  I mean, *if* you had an infinitely large fuel tank, you could,
but the shuttle carries just about as much fuel as possible.
No one has any good and reasonable ideas about how to get fuel into
orbit, and the shuttle engines are not restartable.

Currently, the limit for on-orbit time is about 10 days, with a few days
just in case.  I heard rumblings about modifying Columbia to have
solar panels or a tank of LH2/LOX in the cargo bay so it would have
power to saty in orbit for ~2-4 weeks, but I think NASA will kill
that idea (it would conflict with Freedom; can't replace the $40G
space station with a $300M retrofit to a 10-year-old shuttle, now,
can we?  :-(   )

Jeff Goldader                        University of Hawaii
uhifa.ifa.hawaii.edu                 Institute for Astronomy

"So, Lonestar, now you see that Evil will always win- because Good is stupid."
-The Dark Lord Dark Helmet, _SPACEBALLS_

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my responsibility alone.
The University of Hawaii and the Institute for Astronomy neither support
nor are in *any way* responsible for these opinions.

tindle@ms.uky.edu (Ken Tindle) (10/18/89)

I have heard that the SRB joint redesign has heaters and sensors to detect
hot gases that would signal O-ring failure.

What I wonder is: are said sensors being read by the flight computers with
the control program itself able to kick off the boosters?

To avoid a faulty sensor causing major trouble, I would guess that Houston
would have to order any such emergency manuver.  Or is it necessary to have
the boosters burn out first?  It might not be possible to fire the ordinance
devices while under thrust, but I can't speak on that.  I have a feeling
someone here does know, however.  :-)

--------------------------\ /------------------------------------------
INTERNET:tindle@ms.uky.edu | "I heard you." -Kirk
BITNET:tindle@ukma.bitnet  | "He simply could not believe his ears."
Ken Tindle - Lexington, KY | -Spock, The Trouble With Tribbles
--------------------------/ \------------------------------------------

In article <12973@s.ms.uky.edu> tindle@ms.uky.edu (Ken Tindle) writes:
>What I wonder is: are said sensors being read by the flight computers with
>the control program itself able to kick off the boosters?

Can't be done.  There is no way to "kick off" the SRBs until they burn out.
It's perhaps not theoretically impossible, but it would require considerable
redesign.  (For one thing, the SRBs would have to stay under some sort of
control for at least a few seconds to avoid problems like having their
exhaust hit the external tank, and they rely on the orbiter for control
at present.)
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <5474@umd5.umd.edu> rossh@umd5.umd.edu (Hollis "NeXT-Dood" Ross) writes:
>What was the results of the Rogers Commision, ie what did
>NASA change.  I seem to recall that just another O-Ring was
>added.

There were a number of changes, actually.  An extra flange was added to
the joint to reduce flexing ("joint rotation") when the booster ignites.
Another O-ring was added under that flange.  The sealing putty was deleted
entirely in favor of bonding the fuel in adjacent segments together.
Heaters were added to keep the joints warm.  I believe they did something
about better weather protection to make sure that rain didn't get in and
freeze.  Rules for booster assembly were tightened up to ensure that proper
clearances were maintained in the joints.  Those are the high points that
I recall.

>Someone mentioned (in this newsgroup) that he thought that
>a segmented SRB is a very bad idea.  Is a non-segmented
>SRB actually feasible without costing 1/2 of the current
>defense budget? How much more expensive would it be to make
>a Double wall SRB and would that be too heavy?.

Double wall would add a lot of weight, I'd say.  But a non-segmented SRB
is quite feasible.  Large non-segmented solid motors were test-fired
successfully in the 60s.  At least one of Thiokol's competitors, Aerojet,
proposed a non-segmented replacement SRB after Challenger.  One practical
problem with non-segmented SRBs is that transporting them is harder, so
manufacturing really needs to be near the launch site.  There is also
some concern about uniformity of casting in such large motors, which
affects things like matching the thrust of the two SRBs (which is critical,
because the shuttle can't handle too much of an imbalance).

>An off the wall question:  If enough fuel were available,
>would it be possible for the shuttle to make a journey to
>lunar orbit.  How long can the shuttle stay up, what are
>the constraints for power, air, ect.

It would be kind of marginal with a stock orbiter, but with the changes
planned to turn Columbia into an extended-duration orbiter, it would be
practical if propulsion were up to it and things like navigation were
sorted out.  In practice it's a waste, because things like the wings
are dead weight on such a trip.  It's better done with a specialized
vehicle.
--

goldader@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Jeff Goldader) (10/19/89)

In article <12973@s.ms.uky.edu> tindle@ms.uky.edu (Ken Tindle) writes:
>I have heard that the SRB joint redesign has heaters and sensors to detect
>hot gases that would signal O-ring failure.
>
>What I wonder is: are said sensors being read by the flight computers with
>the control program itself able to kick off the boosters?

Can't be done.  If you try to sep the boosters before they're supposed
to separate, you'd kill the shuttle with the aerodynamic stress of the
separation.  The system's designed to work... well... the way it's
designed to work.  In the same line of thought, it's impossible to
separate the orbiter from the ET while the SRBs are still firing, since
simulations show that the orbiter would hang up on its aft attach
points, pitch down (um, towards the ground) and break up.  Also, I really
doubt that the orbiter could survive the SRB plumes, anyway.

iiitsh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) (10/23/89)

In article <1989Oct18.172311.22863@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Can't be done.  There is no way to "kick off" the SRBs until they burn out.

I've been wondering about this recently. Wouldn't it be possible to design
the SRB casing to have a venturi nozzle at both ends, but with the top one
usually plugged by the igniter? If the igniter could be blown off the top
in case of emergency, you'd be left with an SRB thrusting at both ends. The
result *ought* to be that you could separate from the boosters.

However, what the consequence of doing this with air rushing by at Mach N
would be I have no idea. Maybe the booster would end up looking more like
a ram-jet.

Also, of course, if you blow the igniter off the top, you'll have to arrange
for it not to hit the orbiter..

Any comments?

>It's perhaps not theoretically impossible, but it would require considerable
>redesign.  (For one thing, the SRBs would have to stay under some sort of
>control for at least a few seconds to avoid problems like having their
>exhaust hit the external tank, and they rely on the orbiter for control
>at present.)

Couldn't they have fins fitted to give them some degree of independant
steering?

Steve
iiitsh@pyr.swan.ac.uk

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (10/24/89)

In article <1989Oct18.172311.22863@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Can't be done.  There is no way to "kick off" the SRBs until they burn out.

Are you sure about that? What is the manual SRB sep switch for and when
can it be used? I read (I forget where) that there is a quick-disconnect
procedure to disconnect them early if need be.

Peter Jarvis............

hogg@db.toronto.edu (John Hogg) (10/25/89)

In article <838@cybaswan.UUCP> iiitsh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) writes:
>Wouldn't it be possible to design
>the SRB casing to have a venturi nozzle at both ends, but with the top one
>usually plugged by the igniter? If the igniter could be blown off the top
>in case of emergency, you'd be left with an SRB thrusting at both ends. The
>result *ought* to be that you could separate from the boosters.

That sounds roughly equivalent to the SRB destruct charges, except that
the goal of these is simply to reduce thrust to zero by reducing
chamber pressure.  SRB fuel only burns effectively at high pressure.

If this were a valid abort procedure, NASA would have adopted it.  A
small selection of problems includes avoiding debris, the reverse
drag in thick atmosphere (remember, normal SRB staging occurs at a
considerable altitude) and the simple aerodynamics of separation in
atmosphere.  I'm sure that there are other (and probably more
significant) difficulties, which somebody else can point out.

>>(For one thing, the SRBs would have to stay under some sort of
>>control for at least a few seconds to avoid problems like having their
>>exhaust hit the external tank, and they rely on the orbiter for control
>>at present.)
>Couldn't they have fins fitted to give them some degree of independant
>steering?

While thrusting, they have independent steering via nozzle gimballing.
This, of course, wouldn't apply after shutdown.  However, the actual
*control* circuitry is in the orbiter; the only signal that the SRBs
receive independently is ``destruct''.  There's no reason in principle
why control packages couldn't be added.  It's just that they'd have to be
man-rated and salt-water-splashdown proof, and would be yet another mass
penalty and source of potential failure.  The same would apply to fins.
Sometimes, safety in increased by leaving things out.
--
John Hogg			hogg@csri.utoronto.ca
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (10/25/89)

The standard range safety approach for SRM's is to detach the nosecone
so that the combustion chamber becomes an open cylinder with no net
thrust.  This would be dangerous to do to an assembled SRB/orbiter stack
in flight.  The whole thing would become an aerodynamic nightmare when
the SRB thrust stopped.  But separating the SRBs while still firing
would be equally unpredictable and dangerous.  "Forget it" would be a
good summation.

It would be more useful to have either liquid boosters which could be
throttled down in a controlled manner, and/or a means to eject the
entire crew compartment of the orbiter as a unit for separate recovery.
The standard roll program orients the orbiter dorsal-down for
the entire ascent, so rocket ejection of the compartment would pose
difficulties.

Needless to say this whole discussion is about some other orbiter, as
what we have now will stay the way it is.
--
Machines will never think, for "thought"   ?!     Tom Neff
will be redefined, as often as needed,      !?    tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

In article <2816@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:
>>Can't be done.  There is no way to "kick off" the SRBs until they burn out.
>
>Are you sure about that? What is the manual SRB sep switch for and when
>can it be used? I read (I forget where) that there is a quick-disconnect
>procedure to disconnect them early if need be.

The quick-disconnect procedure is just a variant of the normal disconnect
procedure, for use in certain cases of malfunctions in the separation
process.  The manual sep switches are in case the automatic separation
system acts up.  None of these will work until the SRBs have burnt out.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <838@cybaswan.UUCP> iiitsh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) writes:
>>It's perhaps not theoretically impossible, but it would require considerable
>>redesign.  (For one thing, the SRBs would have to stay under some sort of
>>control for at least a few seconds to avoid problems like having their
>>exhaust hit the external tank, and they rely on the orbiter for control
>>at present.)
>
>Couldn't they have fins fitted to give them some degree of independant
>steering?

The problem is not steering; they already have gimballed nozzles for that.
The trouble is that they're not equipped to make their own decisions.
Normally they just take orders from the orbiter.  Yes, this could be fixed...
at some substantial cost and probably at some weight penalty.

Effort spent proposing complex redesigns of the SRBs to make them a bit
more manageable is probably better spent proposing liquid-fuel boosters,
which have a lot of other advantages.
--

In article <1989Oct25.100345.2672@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> hogg@db.toronto.edu (John Hogg) writes:
>>Wouldn't it be possible to design
>>the SRB casing to have a venturi nozzle at both ends, but with the top one
>>usually plugged by the igniter? ...
>
>That sounds roughly equivalent to the SRB destruct charges, except that
>the goal of these is simply to reduce thrust to zero by reducing
>chamber pressure...

A small correction:  while some people have said in the past that the
SRB destruct charges work by blowing off the nose of the SRBs, and this
sort of procedure in fact is used in other solid motors, it is not what
the shuttle SRB destruct charges use.  The shuttle SRB destruct charges
are linear charges in the wiring tunnel up the side of each SRB; they
split the casing open lengthwise.