[sci.space.shuttle] LDEF

skippy@jhunix (Ian Chesterton) (10/31/89)

Just a quickie. After reading so much about the LDEF's predicament, I'd like
to know if NASA's will do anything about getting it before it does a
SKYLAB. Is it possible for the shuttle to fly a dual mission? For example
launch a satellite and retrieve the LDEF.

--- Ian ---

In article <3115@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> skippy@jhunix (Ian Chesterton) writes:
>Just a quickie. After reading so much about the LDEF's predicament, I'd like
>to know if NASA's will do anything about getting it before it does a
>SKYLAB.

They're going to try, with the December shuttle launch.

>Is it possible for the shuttle to fly a dual mission? For example
>launch a satellite and retrieve the LDEF.

This is exactly what's going to happen in December.  Dual missions are
not at all uncommon; for example, LDEF was launched by the same mission
that repaired Solar Max.  (I saw it go up.  Quite different from watching
on TV, even from the cheap seats far away from the pad.)

Mind you, this particular mission should have been flown earlier.  Blame
politics and the glacially-slow Challenger recovery.  As it is, it's going
to be close for LDEF.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (11/01/89)

In article <3115@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, skippy@jhunix (Ian Chesterton) writes:
> Just a quickie. After reading so much about the LDEF's predicament, I'd like
> to know if NASA's will do anything about getting it before it does a
> SKYLAB. Is it possible for the shuttle to fly a dual mission? For example
> launch a satellite and retrieve the LDEF.

I belive that that is exactly what is planned, on the December mission.
DoD is launching a spooksat mission of some flavor in November.

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (11/02/89)

In article <3115@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> skippy@jhunix (Ian Chesterton) writes:
>Just a quickie. After reading so much about the LDEF's predicament, I'd like
>to know if NASA's will do anything about getting it before it does a

NASA is going to use Columbia in December to retrieve LDEF. Otherwise
in would re-enter the atmoshere in Jan. or Feb. and burn up.

Peter Jarvis....

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (11/04/89)

In article <2831@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:
>NASA is going to use Columbia in December to retrieve LDEF. Otherwise
>in would re-enter the atmoshere in Jan. or Feb. and burn up.

Gee, why does this remind me of all the projects I ever waited
until the last minute to get started on?

I don't think a smiley is called for.  Sigh.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 270249  Houston, Texas  77277

bobal@microsoft.UUCP (Bob Allison) (11/07/89)

In article <1989Nov1.024354.6148@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

> [...]
>This is exactly what's going to happen in December.  Dual missions are
>not at all uncommon; for example, LDEF was launched by the same mission
>that repaired Solar Max.  (I saw it go up.  Quite different from watching
>on TV, even from the cheap seats far away from the pad.)
>
>Mind you, this particular mission should have been flown earlier.  Blame
>politics and the glacially-slow Challenger recovery.  As it is, it's going
>to be close for LDEF.

And we're losing Solar Max for sure.  Coming down in November-December I hear.
NASA thinks chunks ranging in size from 75 to 300 pounds could reach the
surface.  Only a small land area is involved, though, and NASA estimates
chances of a human being hit as 1 in 3800 (which sure seems high to me).

That's one defect with designing a satellite which must be serviced by the
shuttle at regular intervals (much less if we ever had a dozen up at once;
so far the plans only include HST and the space station as far as I know).

Bob Allison
uunet!microsoft!bobal

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (11/07/89)

Bob Allison reminds us Solar Max will soon join Skylab and says:
>That's one defect with designing a satellite which must be serviced by the
>shuttle at regular intervals (much less if we ever had a dozen up at once;
>so far the plans only include HST and the space station as far as I know).

There is a useful distinction between building a satellite that must be
SERVICED by the shuttle (boards replaced, film collected, whatever) and
one that must actually be REBOOSTED by it.  The former is merely
questionable, the latter is downright dangerous.

It ought to be an international agreement that anything large enough to
be dangerous on re-entry must orbit high enough to stay up for decades.
LDEF, Max, Skylab, and all that Soviet iron are Damoclean hazards.  Not
to mention damn expensive to lose at a year's slippage.
--
There's nothing wrong with Southern California that a    || Tom Neff
rise in the ocean level wouldn't cure. -- Ross MacDonald || tneff@bfmn0.UU.NET

henry@hutto.UUCP (Henry Melton) (11/07/89)

I have been attempting to keep an 'eye' on LDEF using the sat data
posted by T. Kelso and using a couple of tracking programs; MACSAT and a
ported version of SEESAT.  The MACSAT program shows it at 381 km and not
dropping at all over the next couple of months.  SEESAT has it slightly
lower and dropping about a half a km per day.  Does anyone out there
have any better information?  I assume the decay rate will increase --
but how fast?  And at what altitude will the tumbling begin, (if we
don't catch it first)?

--
Henry Melton ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!hutto!henry
1-512-8463241 Rt.1 Box 274E Hutto,TX 78634

bobal@microsoft.UUCP (Bob Allison) (11/10/89)

In article <14861@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>Bob Allison reminds us Solar Max will soon join Skylab and says:
>>That's one defect with designing a satellite which must be serviced by the
>>shuttle at regular intervals (much less if we ever had a dozen up at once;
>>so far the plans only include HST and the space station as far as I know).
>
>There is a useful distinction between building a satellite that must be
>SERVICED by the shuttle (boards replaced, film collected, whatever) and
>one that must actually be REBOOSTED by it.  The former is merely
>questionable, the latter is downright dangerous.

Well, I did say "must be serviced by the shuttle at regular intervals", not
"can be serviced if necessary".  If it can be reached by the shuttle and
"must be serviced", then that service is going to include fuel.

Anyway, what is the estimated time between "fill-ups" for HST?  Hopefully,
it is longer than the interval between the launch before Challenger and the
launch afterwards (which is the only data point we've got for shuttles,
although presumably next time the delay will be less).  And I do mean "when"
and not "if".

In regards to how fast LDEF is deteriorating, I don't know, but the article
said Solar Max was dropping a mile a day.

That article in SciAm about Space Shuttle glow was pretty interesting: yet
another reason we don't want to be in quite-that-low-earth-orbit.  Looks
like they've incorporated some changes into HST for it, though.

Bob Allison
uunet!microsoft!bobal

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (11/10/89)

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:

> It ought to be an international agreement that anything large enough to
> be dangerous on re-entry must orbit high enough to stay up for decades.
> LDEF, Max, Skylab, and all that Soviet iron are Damoclean hazards.  Not
> to mention damn expensive to lose at a year's slippage.
> --

Why should things which could hit earth on re-entry be required to stay
up for decades?  It just means that our generation doesn't have to worry
about it, but a future earth (with a denser population -- more chance of
it hitting someone).

                         - tom
--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas

--
The UUCP Mailer

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (11/10/89)

In article <8739@microsoft.UUCP> bobal@microsoft.UUCP (Bob Allison) writes:
>That article in SciAm about Space Shuttle glow was pretty interesting: yet
>another reason we don't want to be in quite-that-low-earth-orbit.

Wasn't it though!  I was going to post about it but procrastinated.
The gist: LEO is definitely *in* the atmosphere -- a billion atoms
per cubic centimeter, much of it monatomic oxygen which proves HIGHLY
reactive on all sorts of surfaces.  Kapton film, used for many structural
purposes because of its strength and lightness, erodes at several mm/yr.
The films supporting the Space Station solar array, as currently planned,
might be gone in a year!  Coatings disappear, clear plastic turns opaque,
and the black-painted shuttle tail *glows* visibly yellow at night when
it's facing the wind.

>                                                                   Looks
>like they've incorporated some changes into HST for it, though.

The paint that glows so brightly will no longer line the optical tube :-)
Let's hope we know enough about what else can happen.

I wonder if the cradle they're building for LDEF will work if it's HALF AN
INCH SMALLER in diameter as is possible extrapolating some of the SciAm
numbers...
--
When I was [in Canada] I found their jokes like their   | Tom Neff
roads -- not very long and not very good, leading to a  | tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

In article <104.UUL1.3#5131@mvac23.UUCP> thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) writes:
>Why should things which could hit earth on re-entry be required to stay
>up for decades?  It just means that our generation doesn't have to worry
>about it, but a future earth (with a denser population -- more chance of
>it hitting someone).

It improves the odds on a reboost.

And if they don't, hey -- what has the future earth ever done for US?  :-)