[sci.space.shuttle] Minimum Shuttle Crew Size

henry@hutto.UUCP (Henry Melton) (11/10/89)

After watching Mission Impossible, my son asked:  What is the smallest
number of people it would take to successfully crew a USA shuttle
flight?
--
Henry Melton ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!hutto!henry
1-512-8463241 Rt.1 Box 274E Hutto,TX 78634

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (11/11/89)

The first shuttle mission or two (Columbia) were manned by two-man
crews.

Mark
--
Mark Smith, KNJ2LH                All Rights Reserved
RPO 1604               You may redistribute this article only if those who

In article <765@hutto.UUCP> henry@hutto.UUCP (Henry Melton) writes:
>After watching Mission Impossible, my son asked:  What is the smallest
>number of people it would take to successfully crew a USA shuttle
>flight?

It depends on what the mission is doing.  Most of those folks are aboard
to tend to payloads and such, not to fly the bird.  If the payloads are
assumed to be undemanding, it's a known fact that you can get by with
two (since the first test flight just had Young and Crippen aboard),
and I'd guess that one person could manage the essentials in a pinch.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) (11/11/89)

In article <765@hutto.UUCP> henry@hutto.UUCP (Henry Melton) writes:
>After watching Mission Impossible, my son asked:  What is the smallest
>number of people it would take to successfully crew a USA shuttle
>flight?

The first space shuttle flight just had 2 people, Crippen and Young.
I don't think NASA would send someone up by themselves in a space
shuttle. :-).

 Ron Baalke                       |    baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov
 Jet Propulsion Lab  M/S 301-355  |    baalke@jems.jpl.nasa.gov
 4800 Oak Grove Dr.               |
 Pasadena, CA 91109               |

cunniff@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ross Cunniff) (11/11/89)

> After watching Mission Impossible, my son asked:  What is the smallest
> number of people it would take to successfully crew a USA shuttle
> flight?

I don't know for sure, but Columbia had two astronauts aboard for its
first launch.  I suspect that is the minimum (or are you talking
about ground crew?  If so, the number is in the hundreds...)

> Henry Melton ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!hutto!henry
> 1-512-8463241 Rt.1 Box 274E Hutto,TX 78634

				Ross Cunniff
				Hewlett-Packard Colorado Language Lab
				...{ucbvax,hplabs}!hpfcla!cunniff
				cunniff%hpfcla@hplabs.HP.COM

rossd@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (David Ross) (11/18/89)

In article <Nov.10.11.29.32.1989.29066@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>The first shuttle mission or two (Columbia) were manned by two-man
>crews.

 And the Soviets, with a shuttle that should seem just a LITTLE familiar,
have made their first launches without the aid (extra bother?) of a crew.

 -D

(Disclaimer: With material this bad, why would I steal it?)

df1y+@andrew.cmu.edu (David James Foremsky) (11/19/89)

Just a question from a naive shuttle fan:

Isn't it possible to launch a shuttle with no crew?  That is, allow
everything to be computer controlled.  I think I read somewhere that the
shuttle crew could technically 'fly' the shuttle with their hands folded
in their lap.  No flames, please.  Just trying an idea I thought I read
somewhere.

Later,
DJ

In article <UZNTh0W00V4AE_fUNS@andrew.cmu.edu> df1y+@andrew.cmu.edu (David James Foremsky) writes:
>Isn't it possible to launch a shuttle with no crew?  That is, allow
>everything to be computer controlled...

Not with the current hardware.  The shuttle wasn't designed for totally
unmanned operation, so although many things are under computer control,
there are still a good scattering of operations that are manual only.
The classic example is that the computers cannot lower the landing gear.
(This is partly a safety precaution, because the gear cannot be raised
once it is lowered.)  As far as I know, there is no fundamental reason
why completely automatic operation is impossible, but some modifications
would be needed.
--

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (11/21/89)

rossd@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (David Ross) writes:

>In article <Nov.10.11.29.32.1989.29066@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>>The first shuttle mission or two (Columbia) were manned by two-man
>>crews.

> And the Soviets, with a shuttle that should seem just a LITTLE familiar,
>have made their first launches without the aid (extra bother?) of a crew.

Don't forget that the Soviets had two items going for them:

1.	An extra ten years of technology

2.	All the research done for them by the US.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.