[sci.space.shuttle] When does the official name change?

jim@hardees.rutgers.edu (Jim Martin) (11/19/89)

A quick question from a novice... When does the name change in the
official reports? I realize that sounds confusing, so for example,
right now STS-32 has flown, and is recieving post flight service.  My
question is when will they start refering to it with the name
referencing its next flight (STS-whatever). Is there a specific step
where they say "After I do this it won't be called STS-32 any more"?
Thanks in avance.
					Jim

bdz@sam.cs.cmu.edu (Brian Zill) (11/19/89)

jim@hardees.rutgers.edu (Jim Martin) writes:
>A quick question from a novice... When does the name change in the
>official reports? I realize that sounds confusing, so for example,
>right now STS-32 has flown, and is recieving post flight service.  My
>question is when will they start refering to it with the name
>referencing its next flight (STS-whatever).

From my observations, the designation changes when the Shuttle arrives back
at KSC.  All post flight service is done under the next flight's number, they
seem to consider post flight service as part of prepping the craft for the
subsequent mission.  Flying the craft back to KSC aboard the 747 shuttle
carrier aircraft appears to be the last step of any given mission.

I believe you are confused by the fact that the STS numbers are not being
flown in stict numerical order.  STS-32 [LDEF retrieval] has NOT been flown
yet, and in fact it will follow STS-33 [DoD mission].

					--Brian

johna@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (john.a.welsh) (11/21/89)

In article <7036@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, bdz@sam.cs.cmu.edu (Brian Zill) writes:
> jim@hardees.rutgers.edu (Jim Martin) writes:
> >A quick question from a novice... When does the name change in the
> >official reports?

> From my observations, the designation changes when the Shuttle arrives back
> at KSC.

> 					--Brian

When if ever will they start regularly landing the shuttles at that
landing strip in Florida?  How far is it from the VAB at Kennedy?
One more question, it must cost a lot to fly the shuttles piggyback
on the 747, so wouldn't it be more cost effective to start landing
in Florida, or is there some other reason for California?

Brian,
Thanks for the explanation on why the STS numbers are sometimes not
seemingly right.

John Welsh  mtgzy!jaw

In article <2394@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> johna@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (john.a.welsh) writes:
>When if ever will they start regularly landing the shuttles at that
>landing strip in Florida?  How far is it from the VAB at Kennedy?

It's right next door to the VAB.  NASA originally wanted to land most
every shuttle there, to save transportation problems.  This plan is on
the shelf, probably permanently, as a result of post-Challenger safety
reviews.  The fact is, KSC is a lousy place to land a shuttle.  Most
especially and in particular, it is quite possible to get a surprise
thunderstorm brewing up between retrofire and landing.  KSC gets *lots*
of short-notice thunderstorms.  At Edwards the weather is much more
predictable -- and usually perfect -- and the runways are much longer
and run in various directions to suit current winds.  Edwards is the
primary landing site for the foreseeable future.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) (11/23/89)

In article <1989Nov21.051136.18065@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
 >                                ...NASA originally wanted to land most
 > every shuttle [at KSC], to save transportation problems...
 >        ...The fact is, KSC is a lousy place to land a shuttle.  Most
 > especially and in particular, it is quite possible to get a surprise
 > thunderstorm brewing up between retrofire and landing.  KSC gets *lots*
 > of short-notice thunderstorms.  At Edwards the weather is much more
 > predictable -- and usually perfect -- and the runways are much longer
 > and run in various directions to suit current winds.  Edwards is the
 > primary landing site for the foreseeable future.
 > --
 > A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
 > megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Why don't they launch from Edwards as well then?

--
Bruce W. Mohler
Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (11/23/89)

In article <5315@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:
> In article <1989Nov21.051136.18065@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>  >                                ...NASA originally wanted to land most
>  > every shuttle [at KSC], to save transportation problems...
>  >        ...The fact is, KSC is a lousy place to land a shuttle.  Most
> 	[...*why* it's a lousy place...]

> Why don't they launch from Edwards as well then?

For non-polar orbits, it helps to launch to the east (getting a free
couple hundred miles/hr toward orbit velocity needed).  East of KSC
is lots of water.  East of EAFB is lots of land, contaminated (as it
were :} ) with people.

------------

"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise
anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear
and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded..."

		Plato, _Phaedrus_ 275d

In article <5315@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:
> > ... Edwards is the
> > primary landing site for the foreseeable future.
>
>Why don't they launch from Edwards as well then?

Life would be simpler if they could.  Apart from historical complications
(all the heavy launch facilities are at KSC), the problem is that the range-
safety people want to see several hundred kilometers, at least, of ocean or
uninhabited land downrange of a launch site.  Edwards and related sites
simply can't meet that requirement.  That's why missile testing moved from
White Sands (in New Mexico) to Cape Canaveral in the first place.  NASA
considered various other sites when deciding where the heavy-launch base
for spaceflight should be, but the physics of the situation make it very
desirable to launch eastward from as near the equator as possible, and
the Cape already had a lot of the infrastructure needed.
--

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (11/27/89)

> I believe you are confused by the fact that the STS numbers are not being
> flown in stict numerical order.  STS-32 [LDEF retrieval] has NOT been flown
> yet, and in fact it will follow STS-33 [DoD mission].

Is the reason that the flight numbers are not sequential due to the fact
that the order of the manifest changed after it was originally planned?

                         - tom
--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas

--
The UUCP Mailer

In article <115.UUL1.3#5131@mvac23.UUCP> mvac23!thomas@udel.edu writes:
>Is the reason that the flight numbers are not sequential due to the fact
>that the order of the manifest changed after it was originally planned?

Correct.  The manifest has changed several times.
--
That's not a joke, that's      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
NASA.  -Nick Szabo             | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (11/29/89)

> In article <5315@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> bruno@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:
> > > ... Edwards is the
> > > primary landing site for the foreseeable future.
> >
> >Why don't they launch from Edwards as well then?
>
> Life would be simpler if they could.  Apart from historical complications
> (all the heavy launch facilities are at KSC), the problem is that the range-
> safety people want to see several hundred kilometers, at least, of ocean or
> uninhabited land downrange of a launch site.

Just to bring the point home, if Challenger had been launched from Edwards,
where would the pieces have hit the earth?

I imagine it would have been more of a mess than what happened when
the Pan Am 747 rained down upon Lockerbie, Scottland (No, I'm not trying
to be funny here -- I lost a high-school classmate in that one).