[sci.space.shuttle] Modifications completed to Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39-A

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (12/01/89)

          Bruce Buckingham
          Kennedy Space Center, Florida                Nov. 29, 1989

          KSC RELEASE NO. 125 - 89

          MODIFICATIONS COMPLETED TO SPACE SHUTTLE LAUNCH PAD 39-A

               Kennedy Space Center managers have declared Launch Pad 39-A
          ready to support the December 18 launch of the Space Shuttle
          Columbia on mission STS-32. The use of Pad A will be the first
          since the launch of Shuttle mission 61-C in January 1986 and the
          first since NASA's return-to-flight status last year.

               Pad A was NASA's launch facility workhorse for the first 24
          liftoffs of shuttle missions STS-1 through 61-C. The complex was
          temporarily deactivated following the Challenger mishap as
          mission managers chose to concentrate efforts to modify Pad B
          first for the resumption of flight. Pad B has been the launch
          facility used for the first seven missions beginning since the
          return to flight in September 1988.

               Prior to the shuttle program, Pad A was the embarkation
          point for all but one of the Apollo/Saturn V missions which
          carried American astronauts to the surface of the moon.

               Since the Apollo program, Pad A has undergone several
          significant changes. Replacing the launch umbilical tower, needed
          to support and service the giant Saturn V vehicle, was a Fixed
          Service Structure (FSS) and a Rotating Service Structure (RSS).
          Both of these modifications are critical structures in the
          current processing and launching of the Space Shuttle.

               Geographically, Pad A is located about 18,000 feet from the
          Vehicle Assembly Building. At the center of the pad is a 390 by
          325 foot hardstand from which the shuttles are launched. From
          this hardstand the Fixed Service Structure rises 347 feet to the
          tip of the fiberglass lightning mast. The mast itself is 80 feet
          tall. Also, there are 12 access platforms on the service
          structure.

               The RSS is a mobile service structure that pivots on a
          vertical axis. It rotates 120 degrees, over the pad's flame
          trench, and provides access to the orbiter for servicing of
          payloads. The major payloads of the Space Shuttle are installed
          into the RSS's Payload Changeout Room (PCR), an environmentally
          controlled room that supports payload delivery and installation
          into the orbiter's payload bay.

               Following the Challenger accident, no facilities or ground
          support equipment failures at the pads were identified as
          problems during the ensuing investigation. However, NASA decided
          to take advantage of the down time and implement modifications
          planned prior to the accident as well as several improvements
          suggested by the Presidential Commission on the Space Shuttle
          Challenger Accident. In addition, improvements were made to the
          pad as required by the redesigned solid rocket boosters.

               As safety continues to maintain the highest priority in the
          space program, the crew emergency egress system was a primary
          target for modification. The extensive network of temperature and
          flame detectors, water spray conduits and slidewire baskets was
          improved. Also, two additional baskets were constructed and
          modifications were made to the slidewire bunker area.

               Another modification included work to the solid rocket joint
          heater umbilical. This was an area listed for improvement by the
          Challenger investigation panel. A new requirement was established
          to maintain the SRB field joints at a constant temperature. Here,
          a new umbilical was installed on the MLP to provide power to heat
          the SRB joints to a temperature of about 75 degrees F.

               In the end, a total of 138 modifications were made to Pad A
          at a cost of about $50 million. Other modifications include work
          in the following areas:

          * on the Rotating Service Structure, improvements were made to
            the environmental control system within the payload changeout
            room to better keep out foreign contaminants;

          * protection against the freezing of water services used at the
            pad;

          * modifications to improve the clearance between the solid rocket
            booster's aft skirts as the Shuttle clears the tower during
            ascent;

          * installation of new weather protection systems (a series of
            mobile panels) to guard the orbiter from wind swept debris and
            other possible damage;

          * installation of new elevators on the RSS;

          * upgrades in the communications systems at the pad;

          * modifications were made to service the orbiter Columbia's 5th
            fuel cell cryogenic tank, needed for longer duration missions;

          * installation of an additional payload clean access platform in
            the PCR.

               With the exception of the clean access platform and the
          Orbiter Columbia's fifth cryo-tank modification, improvements to
          Pad A are identical to those made to its twin, Pad B, prior to
          the launch of STS-26.

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (12/02/89)

>                Geographically, Pad A is located about 18,000 feet from the
>           Vehicle Assembly Building. At the center of the pad is a 390 by
>           325 foot hardstand from which the shuttles are launched. From
>           this hardstand the Fixed Service Structure rises 347 feet to the
>           tip of the fiberglass lightning mast. The mast itself is 80 feet
>           tall. Also, there are 12 access platforms on the service
>           structure.

There is a fiberglass lightning mast?  Can I assume that there is a wire
running alongside the fiberglass mast, since the last time I checked,
fiberglass was an insulator, not a conductor.
                         - tom
--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas

--
The UUCP Mailer

In article <122.UUL1.3#5131@mvac23.UUCP> mvac23!thomas@udel.edu writes:
>There is a fiberglass lightning mast?  Can I assume that there is a wire
>running alongside the fiberglass mast, since the last time I checked,
>fiberglass was an insulator, not a conductor.

That's correct.  The fiberglass is just the structure of the mast.
--
Mars can wait:  we've barely   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
started exploring the Moon.    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (12/04/89)

In article <122.UUL1.3#5131@mvac23.UUCP> mvac23!thomas@udel.edu writes:

>There is a fiberglass lightning mast?  Can I assume that there is a wire
>running alongside the fiberglass mast, since the last time I checked,
>fiberglass was an insulator, not a conductor.
Yes you can. I think the mast is just to keep the wires (I think there
are four) clear of, and above, the tower. The tower was originally added
to the Launch Umbilical Towers in their mobile days, for ASTP if memory
serves (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Nick

--
Nick Watkins, Space & Plasma Physics Group, School of Mathematical
& Physical Sciences, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, BN1 9QH, ENGLAND