[sci.space.shuttle] Satellite reentry

pubtendr@xroads.UUCP (Steve Roberson) (12/08/89)

This week I saw a news report that 'Solar Max' reentered the atmosphere
in the ocean near India. But the station showed a picture of LDEF!

Which one did we loose? Don't you just hate it when the media gets it's
space vehicals confused?
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200 Baud 24 hrs/day

In article <889@xroads.UUCP> pubtendr@xroads.UUCP (Steve Roberson) writes:
>This week I saw a news report that 'Solar Max' reentered the atmosphere
>in the ocean near India. But the station showed a picture of LDEF!
>Which one did we loose? ...

Solar Max is dead.  LDEF isn't, yet, although it will be soon if the
retrieval mission doesn't go up pretty much on schedule.  Apart from the
shared issue of reentry, another reason for confusing the two is that
the Solar Max repair and the LDEF deployment were the same shuttle
mission.  (I remember it pretty clearly because I was there for the
launch...)
--
1233 EST, Dec 7, 1972:         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
last ship sails for the Moon.  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu