[sci.space.shuttle] Fourth Shuttle?

berger@edpl21.enet.dec.com (Michael Berger) (12/12/89)

I was wondering what was going on with the new fourth
shuttle Endeavour (sp?).   I haven't read anything about
it in quite a while.  Is it currently under construction?
When is it expected to be completed?  Or is it another
victim of the budgeting process?

	Michael P. Berger
	berger@edpl21.enet.dec.com

In article <6795@shlump.nac.dec.com> berger@edpl21.enet.dec.com (Michael Berger) writes:
>I was wondering what was going on with the new fourth
>shuttle Endeavour (sp?).   I haven't read anything about
>it in quite a while.  Is it currently under construction?
>When is it expected to be completed?  Or is it another
>victim of the budgeting process?

It's still being built.  The rollout date is something like 1992.  Bear
in mind that the orbiters are essentially hand-built and the production
line (insofar as there ever was a production "line") was almost shut
down, so it's taking a long time.
--
1755 EST, Dec 14, 1972:  human |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
exploration of space terminates| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (12/13/89)

In article <1989Dec12.022557.6690@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>1755 EST, Dec 14, 1972:  human
>exploration of space terminates

After all, why send humans when Soviets will do?

--
"Nature loves a vacuum.  Digital    \O@/    Tom Neff
  doesn't." -- DEC sales letter     /@O\    tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

In article <14990@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>>1755 EST, Dec 14, 1972:  human
>>exploration of space terminates
>
>After all, why send humans when Soviets will do?

Send them where?  On death-defying missions into the depths of space,
300km up?  The human *exploration* of space ended with Apollo 17.  Low
Earth orbit was quite well explored rather earlier.
--

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (12/14/89)

In article <6795@shlump.nac.dec.com> berger@edpl21.enet.dec.com (Michael Berger) writes:
>I was wondering what was going on with the new fourth
>shuttle Endeavour (sp?).   I haven't read anything about
>it in quite a while.  Is it currently under construction?
>When is it expected to be completed?  Or is it another
>victim of the budgeting process?

Endeavour is still under construction in Palmdale, CA. It is scheduled
to be completed in 1991.
Peter Jarvis, Physio-Control

razeh@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Robert A. Zeh) (12/15/89)

In article <1989Dec12.022557.6690@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
[Question about the fourth orbiter.]

>It's still being built.  The rollout date is something like 1992.  Bear
>in mind that the orbiters are essentially hand-built and the production
>line (insofar as there ever was a production "line") was almost shut
>down, so it's taking a long time.

Does anyone know what they are planning to do with the production line
when they have finished the fourth orbiter? Keep it open for spare
parts? A replacement for the next orbiter loss?  Or is NASA still in
the "we'll never lose another orbiter" mode?

--
Robert A. Zeh
razeh@rodan.acs.syr.edu   |   "Conditioning is an explanation, not an

In article <1549@rodan.acs.syr.edu> razeh@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Robert A. Zeh) writes:
>Does anyone know what they are planning to do with the production line
>when they have finished the fourth orbiter? Keep it open for spare
>parts? A replacement for the next orbiter loss?  Or is NASA still in
>the "we'll never lose another orbiter" mode?

There is *talk* about building another one, likewise *talk* about keeping
the line going at a low rate to provide a supply of replacements.  The NRC
report on such matters a couple of years ago was most explicit about this
being an absolute necessity if the shuttle fleet was to be relied on for
future programs.  Trouble is, it's expensive.  Nobody has yet committed
to anything.
--

rogers@wlf.isi.edu (Craig Milo Rogers) (12/16/89)

In article <1549@rodan.acs.syr.edu> razeh@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Robert A. Zeh) writes:
>Does anyone know what they are planning to do with the production line
>when they have finished the fourth orbiter? Keep it open for spare
>parts? A replacement for the next orbiter loss?  Or is NASA still in
>the "we'll never lose another orbiter" mode?

	According to an item on page D2 of the Friday 15 Dec 89 issue
of the Los Angeles Times, Rockwell Int'l and NASA have completed
negotiations on a $375 million agreement to build a new set of
structural spare components.  The work is to be completed by June,
1994.

					Craig Milo Rogers

Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu (Commander Krugannal) (12/16/89)

      One reason the Endavour will be finished sooner than normal
   is for some reason NASA had the foresight to order some key
   important spare parts, such as WINGS! As for keeping it open, it
   would make sense to me. A) I think chances are high enough that
   we will lose another orbiter. (As unfortunate as that will be.)
   B) I would not be suprised if we could actually use it! Finally,
   it would make sense that if Shuttle-C is built, keeping a
   production line open would keep costs down.

      Gee, we sell a shuttle to Japan and swap their Mir and a few
   sundry.... nah... they would only copy the shuttle and put us
   out of business.

   Greg d. Moore at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
   Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu

   Disclaimer: Why do I need one?

In article <10556.886.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu> Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu (Commander Krugannal) writes:
>      One reason the Endavour will be finished sooner than normal
>   is for some reason NASA had the foresight to order some key
>   important spare parts, such as WINGS! ...

Actually, what happened was a bit more complex.  The Office of Mismanagement
and Beancounting persistently refused to fund another orbiter.  However,
it was pointed out that relatively minor accidents like hard landings could
significantly damage an orbiter.  Auxiliary systems -- electronics, plumbing,
tiles, etc. -- are being replaced in small ways all the time, so it would
not be difficult to replace them.  Major structural parts, on the other hand,
would be impossibly difficult to obtain after the production line closed.
This could mean writing off an orbiter which was only lightly damaged.  And
since the auxiliary systems are a large part of the cost of an orbiter, it
is *relatively* cheap to make a set of "structural spares".  OMB bought that
one, and authorized one set of structural spares.  This was lucky in more
than one way, because it's the only reason the production line was still
running when we lost Challenger.

Endeavour is being built from the current set of structural spares.  I
believe the funding package for Endeavour included approval to build a
new spares set.
--

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (12/19/89)

In article <10556.886.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu>, Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu (Commander Krugannal) writes:
>      Gee, we sell a shuttle to Japan and swap their Mir and a few
>   sundry.... nah... they would only copy the shuttle and put us
>   out of business.
>
>   Greg d. Moore at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
>   Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu

If we DON'T sell a shuttle to Japan, the Soviets will.

Given the record the Japanise have for improving upon products they copy
from others - I would prefer to get the money money up front rather than
try to second guess what they could do with the Soviet shuttle.

Sad to say: It might cost us less to have the Japanise build the shuttles
for us - unlike US companies, cost and time overruns are the exception
rather than the rule for Japanise companies.

johnsonr@boulder.Colorado.EDU (JOHNSON RICHARD J) (12/19/89)

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) writes:
)Sad to say: It might cost us less to have the Japanise build the shuttles
)for us - unlike US companies, cost and time overruns are the exception
)rather than the rule for Japanise companies.

Which Japanese companies have bid for contracts under the US government's
military industrial complex system?  The system where if companies don't
follow the lead of their federal agency customers and low-ball the cost
estimates their project doesn't make it at all.  What amazes me is that
some companies still manage to give the agencies a decent product that
works as advertised and was actually developed on shedule and under cost.
That almost never happens on the big technical welfare projects, but has
happened often enough on smaller deals.

I suspect that if Japanese companies tried to compete in the US federal
procurement and tech development system that they'd either come out much
the same as the best US companies, or not win contracts.

Are cost and time overruns the exception rather than the rule for US
*commercial* development projects?  Are they really the exception for
Japanese companies?  If there is a difference, can it be explained by
something as simple as Japanese schedules having more slack than the
corresponding US schedules?  I honestly don't know the answers here.

Perhaps if a Japanese company had built the shuttle, they would have begun
with a more realistic funding peak and not increased the overall
development and operations costs of the system by trimming much smaller
amounts of moolah up front.  They wouldn't have won the contract.  Perhaps
if the shuttle could have been funded as a commercial venture ;-) ;-)
a US company would have been able to do the same.

It's foolish to compare Japanese commercial performance to US military
industrial complex performance.  The two games are played by different
rules.  A "winning" strategy in one isn't necessarily a winning plan in
the other.

| Richard Johnson                           johnsonr@spot.colorado.edu |
|    CSC doesn't necessarily share my opinions, but is welcome to.     |
|  Power Tower...Dual Keel...Phase One...Allison/bertha/Colleen...?... |
|   Space Station Freedom is Dead.  Long Live Space Station Freedom!   |

johnsonr@boulder.Colorado.EDU (JOHNSON RICHARD J) (12/19/89)

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) writes:
)Sad to say: It might cost us less to have the Japanise build the shuttles
)for us - unlike US companies, cost and time overruns are the exception
)rather than the rule for Japanise companies.

Which Japanese companies have bid for contracts under the US government's
military industrial complex system?  The system where if companies don't
follow the lead of their federal agency customers and low-ball the cost
estimates their project doesn't make it at all.  What amazes me is that
some companies still manage to give the agencies a decent product that
works as advertised and was actually developed on shedule and under cost.
That almost never happens on the big technical welfare projects, but has
happened often enough to notice on smaller deals.

[...]

pflueger@thewav.enet.dec.com (Free speech is a sound investment) (12/21/89)

In article <2393@ttardis.UUCP>, rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) writes...
[*]

>Given the record the Japanise have for improving upon products they copy
>from others - I would prefer to get the money money up front rather than
>try to second guess what they could do with the Soviet shuttle.
>
>Sad to say: It might cost us less to have the Japanise build the shuttles
>for us - unlike US companies, cost and time overruns are the exception
>rather than the rule for Japanise companies.

Hmm, I kinda like that ideal.  Why don't we let the Japanese build a heavy
lift boost - ala Saturn-V, then we can get down to business!

Jim Pflueger(=Jp=)| "Idealism is fine, but as it      | pflueger@thewav.dec.com
Digital Equipment |  approaches reality, the costs    | pflueger@swam2.dec.com
Costa Mesa, Ca.   |  become prohibitive" W.F. Buckley | (714) 850-7745