[sci.space.shuttle] Hawaii as a launching site

IA80024@MAINE.BITNET (Nicholas C. Hester) (12/19/89)

After reading the responses to my query on shuttle landings at KSC and the
use of Vandenburg for future launches, I was wondering about the possibility
of using Hawaii.  I had heard that it was up for consideration regarding the
launching of commercial vehicles and was wondering what the chance was of
building a new shuttle launch facility there.  It has ocean to protect against
a debri from another Challenger type accident as well as nice weather.

Comments?

-------
 Nicholas C. Hester
ia80024@Maine.Bitnet
ia80024@Maine.Maine.edu

dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) (12/19/89)

In article <IA80024.89352200552@MAINE.BITNET> IA80024@MAINE.BITNET (Nicholas C. Hester) writes:
#After reading the responses to my query on shuttle landings at KSC and the
#use of Vandenburg for future launches, I was wondering about the possibility
#of using Hawaii.  I had heard that it was up for consideration regarding the
#launching of commercial vehicles and was wondering what the chance was of
#building a new shuttle launch facility there.  It has ocean to protect against
#a debri from another Challenger type accident as well as nice weather.

Could a shuttle-loaded 747 make it to Hawaii?  The closest mainland city
is probably San Francisco and that's about 2200? miles away.

Douglas Krause                     One yuppie can ruin your whole day.
University of California, Irvine   Internet: dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu
Welcome to Irvine, Yuppieland USA  BITNET: DJKrause@ucivmsa

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (12/19/89)

> Could a shuttle-loaded 747 make it to Hawaii?  The closest mainland city
> is probably San Francisco and that's about 2200? miles away.

A shuttle-loaded 747 doesn't need to travel from San Francisco to Hawaii. . .
the shuttle can be put on a low-tech, unglamorous boat for the trip.

Just make sure the first mate's name is something other than Gilligan.
--
	Arthur David Olson   ado@alw.nih.gov   ADO is a trademark of Ampex.

ables@lot.ACA.MCC.COM (King Ables) (12/19/89)

From article <3831@orion.cf.uci.edu>, by dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause):
> In article <IA80024.89352200552@MAINE.BITNET> IA80024@MAINE.BITNET (Nicholas C. Hester) writes:
> #of using Hawaii.
>
> Could a shuttle-loaded 747 make it to Hawaii?  The closest mainland city
> is probably San Francisco and that's about 2200? miles away.

So put it on a boat (I know, "but it's too slow").

I suspect much of why they use KSC is historical (all the stuff is there,
it's already built and paid for, staffed, etc.).  Now *originally* why
didn't they put it in Hawaii is another question.

That probably had to do with the little amount of expertise we had in
what kinds of things could go wrong with a launch (and just not wanting
to chance it).  In Hawaii, a path to orbit will cross over the United
States or at least Canada, probably before orbit is achieved.  While an
accident like Challenger would have "safely" (for everyone else) happened
over water if launched from Hawaii, an accident further along in the mission
but still before orbital insertion could be disasterous to a populated area.

Is orbital insertion achieved before the shuttle passes over Europe?
Does anybody know an average figure for miles downrange when orbit is
achieved?  (and please, in *real* miles, not nautical!  ;-)  I know, I
could convert it).

King Ables
ables@mcc.com
Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation (MCC)
3500 West Balcones Center Drive
Austin, TX  78759
(512) 338-3749 (office)
(512) 343-0978 (switchboard)

"George Bush has been in the presence of other Soviet leaders.
 But that was at their funerals."
			- Bernard Shaw, CNN

In article <IA80024.89352200552@MAINE.BITNET> IA80024@MAINE.BITNET (Nicholas C. Hester) writes:
>After reading the responses to my query on shuttle landings at KSC and the
>use of Vandenburg for future launches, I was wondering about the possibility
>of using Hawaii.  I had heard that it was up for consideration regarding the
>launching of commercial vehicles and was wondering what the chance was of
>building a new shuttle launch facility there...

Roughly zero.  In some ways it is a better place to launch from, but the
cost of building a new shuttle facility would be enormous, and I doubt very
much that it could be justified.  I'd also expect some practical problems;
in particular, I'm not sure the shuttle-carrier 747 can make it from the
mainland to Hawaii with an orbiter on its back.  (Although there has been
talk of adding flight refuelling facilities to the carrier.)
--
1755 EST, Dec 14, 1972:  human |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
exploration of space terminates| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

doug@hokulea.hig.hawaii.edu (Doug Myhre) (12/20/89)

In article <9222@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>> Could a shuttle-loaded 747 make it to Hawaii?  The closest mainland city
>> is probably San Francisco and that's about 2200? miles away.
>
>A shuttle-loaded 747 doesn't need to travel from San Francisco to Hawaii. . .
>the shuttle can be put on a low-tech, unglamorous boat for the trip.

If NASA built the orbiter processing facilities here (very unlikely),
they could just land the shuttle here.  Our reef runway at Honolulu
International Airport is supposedly one of the emergency landing sites
for the shuttle.  We had some NASA folks down here a few months ago
doing some preparations on the landing strip for that purpose.

As for using South Point on the Big Island (Island of Hawaii) as a lanching
point, good luck.  The people who want to make it a commercial space port
are having enough problems with the environmentalists.  There would be
lengthy court battles, with much local resistance.

*=================================================*
*  Douglas Myhre   <doug@loihi.hig.hawaii.edu>    *
*  Hawaii Institute of Geophysics                 *
*  Research Computing Facility                    *
*  2525 Correa Rd.                                *
*  Honolulu, HI 96822                             *
*=================================================*

phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) (12/20/89)

In article <1989Dec19.172843.10529@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <IA80024.89352200552@MAINE.BITNET> IA80024@MAINE.BITNET (Nicholas C. Hester) writes:
>>After reading the responses to my query on shuttle landings at KSC and the
>>use of Vandenburg for future launches, I was wondering about the possibility
>>of using Hawaii.  I had heard that it was up for consideration regarding the
>>launching of commercial vehicles and was wondering what the chance was of
>>building a new shuttle launch facility there...
>
>Roughly zero.  In some ways it is a better place to launch from, but the
>cost of building a new shuttle facility would be enormous, and I doubt very
>much that it could be justified.  I'd also expect some practical problems;...

Correct me if I'm wrong.....aren't the SRB segments sent to some place
other than KSC for refurbishing and repacking?  And aren't they sent
by rail?  I seem to recall that one of the constraints on the length
of the segment (and one of the arguments in favor of segmented SRBs)
was the requirement that they be carriable via freight train.

Such a processing facility would have to be built on the same island
as the launch facility to make Hawaii work.  And that seems to be a
bit of a steep start-up penalty.

		William LeFebvre
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

mark@watsnew.waterloo.edu (Mark Earnshaw) (12/20/89)

In article <1989Dec19.172843.10529@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>                                  I'd also expect some practical problems;
>in particular, I'm not sure the shuttle-carrier 747 can make it from the
>mainland to Hawaii with an orbiter on its back.  (Although there has been
>talk of adding flight refuelling facilities to the carrier.)

Wouldn't another problem be the fact that if anything goes wrong with the 747,
there's nowhere to land in the middle of the Pacific.  Kind of an expensive
way to lose an orbiter.

--
Mark Earnshaw, Systems Design Engineering      {uunet,utai}!watmath!watsnew!mark
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada        mark@watsnew.waterloo.{edu,cdn}

net8709@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Mary Jane Pees) (12/20/89)

From article <3831@orion.cf.uci.edu>, by dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause):
< In article <IA80024.89352200552@MAINE.BITNET> IA80024@MAINE.BITNET (Nicholas C. Hester) writes:
< #a debri from another Challenger type accident as well as nice weather.

< Could a shuttle-loaded 747 make it to Hawaii?  The closest mainland city
< is probably San Francisco and that's about 2200? miles away.

And is there anywhere that an emergency landing strip could be built (or any
existing facility) that would be used in an early post-launch failure?

In article <445@lot.ACA.MCC.COM> ables@lot.ACA.MCC.COM (King Ables) writes:
>I suspect much of why they use KSC is historical (all the stuff is there,
>it's already built and paid for, staffed, etc.).  Now *originally* why
>didn't they put it in Hawaii is another question.

Actually, a site on South Point was considered for what is now KSC, as was
Christmas Island.  The overwhelming argument against was simply that both
sites were thousands of miles from most of US industry, which would have
meant higher costs and transportation problems.  A secondary issue was the
lack of islands downrange for tracking stations.  Cape Canaveral already
had a lot of relevant support facilities, including tracking stations,
and was handy to both rail and barge transport.

(The missile test facilities on the Cape, in turn, were located there to
get a long clear flight path over water, with enough islands for tracking
stations, relatively convenient to water transport, with an existing Air
Force station nearby.)

>...In Hawaii, a path to orbit will cross over the United
>States or at least Canada, probably before orbit is achieved...
>Is orbital insertion achieved before the shuttle passes over Europe?

I'm not sure exactly where insertion occurs, but the debris "footprint"
for a disaster late in flight is a more relevant issue.  Remember that
an *early* abort leads to the orbiter landing in Europe, and the external
tank normally crashes in the Pacific or Indian Ocean depending on trajectory.
You bet your booties the footprint passes over Europe if the flight track
passes over Europe (which it does for high-inclination missions -- Africa
is downrange for more normal missions).
--

In article <2274@accuvax.nwu.edu> phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>Correct me if I'm wrong.....aren't the SRB segments sent to some place
>other than KSC for refurbishing and repacking?  And aren't they sent
>by rail?  I seem to recall that one of the constraints on the length
>of the segment (and one of the arguments in favor of segmented SRBs)
>was the requirement that they be carriable via freight train.

That's right.  They go to Morton Thiokol (accursed be their name) in Utah
for refurbishing.  NASA has its own fleet of special railcars for the job.

>Such a processing facility would have to be built on the same island
>as the launch facility to make Hawaii work...

It would probably be possible to move them by ship, possibly even by air.
But it does run the price up.  For that matter, moving them by rail runs
the price up -- it would make a lot more sense to have most of the KSC-
related facilities located near KSC, but the combination of existing
plants and pork-barrel politics works against that.
--

In article <1711@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil> net8709@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Mary Jane Pees) writes:
>And is there anywhere that an emergency landing strip could be built (or any
>existing facility) that would be used in an early post-launch failure?

Not that I know of.  The eastern Pacific is *very* empty.  Mind you, the
Atlantic isn't exactly full of islands either -- there is no shuttle
emergency landing site between the Cape and Europe.
--

carl@ritcsh.cs.rit.edu (Captain Carl) (12/21/89)

In article <9222@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:

>A shuttle-loaded 747 doesn't need to travel from San Francisco to Hawaii. . .
>the shuttle can be put on a low-tech, unglamorous boat for the trip.

Just exactly how feasable would that be, putting the Shuttle on a Boat
to send across the ocean.  I don't think that NASA would be to keen
about that idea.  Especially with the tropical storms that pop up from
nowhere in the middle of the ocean.

Also, wouldn't it be a bad idea to launch the shuttle from the Islands
with all the active volcanoes and bad weather they have??

--
            "Captain" Carl Johnson @ Computer Science House
                   Rochester Institute of Technology

sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Stuart Warmink) (12/21/89)

In article <445@lot.ACA.MCC.COM>, ables@lot.ACA.MCC.COM (King Ables) writes:

> I suspect much of why they use KSC is historical (all the stuff is there,
> it's already built and paid for, staffed, etc.).  Now *originally* why
> didn't they put it in Hawaii is another question.

Florida was originally chosen because of the benign climate and ice-free
ports. Easy access to barge traffic was a major consideration.
All the larger pieces of hardware (Saturn 1st stage, Shuttle ET) are delivered
in such a manner.

Also, downrange tracking stations are convenient from Florida: Bermuda and
Ascension (assuming 28 degree or so inclination orbits). There isn't much
out there around Hawaii :-).

Stuart Warmink, Whippany, NJ, USA  |  sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM  |  Pretentious? Moi?
-------------------------> My opinions are just that <------------------------

shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer (OFV)) (12/22/89)

In article <IA80024.89352200552@MAINE.BITNET> IA80024@MAINE.BITNET (Nicholas C. Hester) writes:

>After reading the responses to my query on shuttle landings at KSC and the
>use of Vandenburg for future launches, I was wondering about the possibility
>of using Hawaii.  I had heard that it was up for consideration regarding the
>launching of commercial vehicles and was wondering what the chance was of
>building a new shuttle launch facility there.  It has ocean to protect against
>a debri from another Challenger type accident as well as nice weather.

>Comments?

There's no way to get the Shuttle to Hawaii safely and uncorroded.  It
would have to be deck cargo on a ship and would be damaged before it
ever arrived, since Hawaii is beyond 747 range.

I suppose you could land there from orbit, but I'm not sure the
weather is enough better than Florida to make this viable.  The times
I've been in Hawaii, there's been a lot of rain and you can't land the
Shuttle in rain.
--

Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov or ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

johnob@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (John Obendorfer) (12/22/89)

In article <771@ritcsh.cs.rit.edu> carl@ritcsh.cs.rit.edu.UUCP (Captain Carl) writes:
>Also, wouldn't it be a bad idea to launch the shuttle from the Islands
>with all the active volcanoes and bad weather they have??

   Well, the last time I was hopping around the south point of the big
island, down below the Kiliuea (sp) volcano, I was literally hopping on
a 2-week old lava flow, watching the *really* hot stuff drop into the
ocean.  I can see it now:

   "STS-37 will be launched now no sooner than February 18, 1990.  The
launch will slip as NASA technicans must clear the pad of now-hardened
lava from recent eruptions ... "

   The Hawaii volcanoes are the most active volcanos in the world.

   Hail Pele,

   John

bj@gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM (Brion Johnson) (12/22/89)

In article <5766@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> doug@loihi.hig.hawaii.edu (Doug Myhre) writes:
>they could just land the shuttle here.  Our reef runway at Honolulu
>
>As for using South Point on the Big Island (Island of Hawaii) as a lanching
>point, good luck.  The people who want to make it a commercial space port
>are having enough problems with the environmentalists.  There would be
>lengthy court battles, with much local resistance.

If you were to put in an installation on the Big Island, it would make
sense to put a runway there as well.  You could make it as big as desired.

However, isn't the weather often rainy? And with some amount of consistant
winds?

And also not to forget that there are active volcanos in the area, that have
a tendency to coat manmade objects with lava on occasion.

Manaua Kea is nice and high, but already occupied with several delicate
astronomical installations. That, however, brings up a thought - is there
any advantage to launching from the top or near top of some mountain, say at
15,000 feet or so?  Henry, what do you think?

Just thoughts.
Brion

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (12/22/89)

In article <7641@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> johnob@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (John Obendorfer) writes:
>In article <771@ritcsh.cs.rit.edu> carl@ritcsh.cs.rit.edu.UUCP (Captain Carl) writes:
>>Also, wouldn't it be a bad idea to launch the shuttle from the Islands
>>with all the active volcanoes and bad weather they have??

>   Well, the last time I was hopping around the south point of the big
>island, down below the Kiliuea (sp) volcano, I was literally hopping on
>a 2-week old lava flow, watching the *really* hot stuff drop into the
>ocean...
>   The Hawaii volcanoes are the most active volcanos in the world.

The current active flow (since the '83 Kilauea eruption) is located well
up the Ka'u coast to the NE of South Point, about halfway to Kohala.
The flows covering southern Ka'u are over a thousand years old.  You
can see the terrain well from the upper reaches of Chain of Craters
Road leading down from the National Park and the Kilauea caldera.  It
is forbidding and actually well isolated for dangerous work.

But, and these are big buts: The Pacific is not friendly along most of
the Big Island's coasts.  Barge and small craft access would be chancy
at times.  Kona storms, when they come, could shut things down for days
at a time.

Another thing that could shut things down for WEEKS at a time is "volcano
weather."  This happens when Pele breathes extra sulfur and fine ash into
the air from her numerous vents around Kilauea and Mauna Loa; the result
is stagnant, hazy weather with lots of fog and rain, BIG lightning and
sharp, tangy, corrosive sulfur vapors day and night.   There are also
numerous low grade seismic tremors from Pele's internal goings-on.

The hazards of orbiter transportation to Hawaii have already been
discussed.  The existing 747 fleet could be upgraded for midflight
refueling, but there would be no emergency landing options in case
of problems on the way.  We could build a new shuttle runway on the
huge, gently sloping lava fields along Kona side, but Hawai'i is
one of the WINDIEST places around on average.  There'd be lots of
safety holds (or worse, safety waivers).

Net-net, the Big Island would be a lousy deal for the program.  It would
also add much-regretted light pollution to the headaches of the Keck
Observatory staff at Mauna Kea...

Canal Zone spaceport, anyone? :-) <ducking>

--
"We plan absentee ownership.  I'll stick to       `o'   Tom Neff
 building ships." -- George Steinbrenner, 1973    o"o   tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

hogg@db.toronto.edu (John Hogg) (12/22/89)

In article <SHAFER.89Dec21092942@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer (OFV)) writes:
>There's no way to get the Shuttle to Hawaii safely and uncorroded.  It
>would have to be deck cargo on a ship and would be damaged before it
>ever arrived, since Hawaii is beyond 747 range.

While a number of major problems with Hawaii as a launch site have been
pointed out, I think that Mary's a bit harsh on shuttle transportation
by ship.  Aircraft are regularly carried by specialized vessels
(they're called ``aircraft carriers''); launchers right up to Saturn
first stages have been moved to KSC by barge; and the SRBs *land* in
salt water after each flight.

Granting that shuttles are a bit more delicate than these other
examples, they still spend most of their lives in the middle of a salt
marsh on a seacoast.  By comparison, a special Basic Orbiter Aquatic
Transporter could give velvet-glove treatment.  A simple hangar
structure could seal out the spray, and even allow air conditioning and
dehumidification.  The shuttle wouldn't simply be dumped on the top
layer of a container ship's cargo!

I'm sure that *somebody* looked into building such an animal.  For the
present setup, of course, it makes absolutely no sense.  Edwards lacks
a year-round ice-free harbour.
--
John Hogg			hogg@csri.utoronto.ca
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

In article <1989Dec21.174304.9072@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> hogg@db.toronto.edu (John Hogg) writes:

   In article <SHAFER.89Dec21092942@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer (OFV)) writes:
   >There's no way to get the Shuttle to Hawaii safely and uncorroded.  It
   >would have to be deck cargo on a ship and would be damaged before it
   >ever arrived, since Hawaii is beyond 747 range.

   While a number of major problems with Hawaii as a launch site have been
   pointed out, I think that Mary's a bit harsh on shuttle transportation
   by ship.  Aircraft are regularly carried by specialized vessels
   (they're called ``aircraft carriers''); launchers right up to Saturn
   first stages have been moved to KSC by barge; and the SRBs *land* in
   salt water after each flight.

   Granting that shuttles are a bit more delicate than these other
   examples, they still spend most of their lives in the middle of a salt
   marsh on a seacoast.

I keep thinking about that "convertible" Hawaiian 737.  The Hawaiian
climate, characterized as extremely adverse for aircraft, was regarded
as a major factor in that accident by the NTSB.  Hawaii is a lot warmer
that Florida year-round and this accelerated corrosion damage.

The planes that go on carriers were built just for that purpose and
corrosion control is an extremely important issue, starting before
they cut metal.

The Shuttle can barely stay out in the rain without everyone getting
excited.

   A simple hangar
   structure could seal out the spray, and even allow air conditioning and
   dehumidification.  The shuttle wouldn't simply be dumped on the top
   layer of a container ship's cargo!

And how long would we have to wait and what would we pay for this?
The 747 is pretty minimum-care--it sits here in our nice dry desert.
It's not out growing barnacles in somebody's dock.

   For the
   present setup, of course, it makes absolutely no sense.  Edwards lacks
   a year-round ice-free harbour.

Well, it's not a deep-water harbour, but Dryden is on Lakeshore Drive.
We do have waterskiing in the winter--we just use a helicopter! :-)