[sci.space.shuttle] Direct ascent trajectory

goldader@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Jeff Goldader) (01/12/90)

Does anyone know what advantages the direct ascent launch trajectory
gives? I've heard of it being used several times, but never really
heard *why* it's used.  I do know it makes the OMS-1 burn unnecessary,
which leads me to believe it gives a higher apogee on the initial
orbit, but that's about it.

Thanks in advance...

Jeff Goldader				University of Hawaii
goldader@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu		Institute for Astronomy

UH and the IfA don't know what I say, and I don't care what they think,
and we're happy that way.

In article <6124@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> goldader@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Jeff Goldader) writes:
>Does anyone know what advantages the direct ascent launch trajectory
>gives? I've heard of it being used several times, but never really
>heard *why* it's used.  I do know it makes the OMS-1 burn unnecessary,
>which leads me to believe it gives a higher apogee on the initial
>orbit, but that's about it.

I was hoping somebody who knew for sure would answer this, but since nobody
has...  The old OMS-1 burn was a result of cutting off the main engines
on reaching a very low, in fact too low, orbit.  This gave better control
of where the external tank ended up, but required an immediate OMS burn
to prevent the orbiter from reentering with the tank.  Essentially this
amount to flying a "dip" maneuver, which cost something in itself, and
doing the last little bit of the ascent with the less-efficient OMS
engines, which ran up the cost further.  Going straight into orbit costs
less in fuel and hence gives either greater payload or a higher orbit.

I'd rather not be quizzed on the details, since I don't understand it
very well myself.  (In particular, at first glance I don't understand
why the tank ends up in the Pacific instead of doing one orbit and going
down into the Atlantic at perigee.)
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

moe@nuchat.UUCP (Norman C. Kluksdahl) (01/14/90)

In article <1990Jan12.213536.7453@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <6124@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> goldader@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Jeff Goldader) writes:
>>Does anyone know what advantages the direct ascent launch trajectory
>>gives?
>
>to prevent the orbiter from reentering with the tank.  Essentially this
>amount to flying a "dip" maneuver, which cost something in itself, and
>doing the last little bit of the ascent with the less-efficient OMS
>engines, which ran up the cost further.  Going straight into orbit costs
>less in fuel and hence gives either greater payload or a higher orbit.
>
>I'd rather not be quizzed on the details, since I don't understand it
>very well myself.  (In particular, at first glance I don't understand
>why the tank ends up in the Pacific instead of doing one orbit and going
>down into the Atlantic at perigee.)

I'm not absolutely certain of the details myself, but as near as I can
figure, the direct ascent trajectory results in a highly elliptical
orbit, which requires the OMS 2 burn to circularize.  Now, from my
reference on ballistic trajectories, the perigee and apogee can be
uniquely determined from the flight-path-angle at burnout and the velocity.
We know that the shuttle must do an OMS-2 to circularize, but the tank
doesn't.  Thus, from an approximation of the altitude of non-negligible
atmospheric drag, one can determine the 'range angle' of the ET's trajectory.
Simple ballistic missile calculation.

What does all that mean?  My interpretation is that the flight-path-angle
at burnout is relativly near zero, giving the ET a very large range angle,
and thus putting the ET down in the Pacific.  Remember, just because
the burnout is over the Atlantic, the perigee might be elsewhere, especially
if the flight-path-angle is nonzero at burnout.

(Ref: Bate, Mueller, & White, "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics"  Dover Press,
ISBN 0-486-60061-0.  Copyright 1971.  From the USAF Academy, hence the
details on ballistic trajectories.  Good book.  theory and examples,
unsolved excercises, but unfortunately no answers.)

Norman Kluksdahl
  ...!nuchat!moe

BARRY@RICEVM1.BITNET (01/15/90)

The OMS-1 maneuver is by no means obsolete.  The need for an OMS-1
is determined by the flight design -- orbital characteristics, ET-impact
footprint (hopefully it lands in the Indian Ocean), propellant loadings,
etc.  An OMS-1 is almost always required, regardless of the flight plan,
if a MECO underspeed occurs or an Abort to Orbit trajectory is selected.
OMS-1 is not performed with the ET attached (as I interpreted Henry's
posting).  In fact, for TAL cases, an OMS burn is performed in order to
avoid the probable violent rupture of the ET when it reenters the
atmosphere.  This, however, is not an "OMS-1" maneuver.

An OMS-2 maneuver is always required.  In some problematic cases, the
maneuver may be performed with the RCS, though it might be called an
OMS maneuver.  Consider the upcoming HST deploy mission, STS-31.  The
deploy altitude is 330nm, which requires protecting about 530fps
velocity change in order to deorbit to "steep" targets using the OMS
engines.  The OMS-2 maneuver is on the order of 480fps to raise
perigee to about 310nm.  These two maneuvers require a full OMS load!
Therefore, an OMS-1 cannot be performed, so the ascent must be a direct
insertion.  Post OMS-2, the orbit will be 330x310nm.  To circularize the
orbit, an RCS-1 maneuver will be performed a few hours after OMS-2 in
order to achieve 330x330nm.  Some folks refer to this maneuver as an
"OMS-3" maneuver, though it uses RCS thrusters and RCS propellant.

Hope this help clear things up.

Matthew R. Barry
Department of Mechanical Engineering      Guidance and Propulsion Systems
Rice University                           NASA/Johnson Space Center DF63
Houston, TX  77252                        Houston, TX  77058
barry@ricevm1.rice.edu                    mbarry@nasamail.nasa.gov