[sci.space.shuttle] Are launches really running as smoothly as they seem?

greg@rapid.Berkeley.EDU (Greg Shippen) (01/11/90)

I heard on the news yesterday that the shuttle lauch went "nearly
flawlessly".  My impression has been that the last 4 or 5 launches
have been very, very smooth overall with only the weather throwing
any significant wrenches into the work.  Am I off-base or aren't
preparations and launches going surprisingly smoothly compared to
pre-Challenger attempts?  Seems like there might be hope of reaching
NASA's "optimistic" lauch schedule...  Comments?

Gregory B. Shippen
MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.                    {ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!greg
928 Arques Ave.                                greg@mips.com
Sunnyvale, CA  94086 (408) 991-0441

In article <34337@mips.mips.COM> greg@rapid.Berkeley.EDU (Greg Shippen) writes:
>I heard on the news yesterday that the shuttle lauch went "nearly
>flawlessly"...

Well, after delays totalling nearly a month...  although one can make a
case for at least some of that being one-time teething troubles of getting
pad 39A back into operation.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (01/17/90)

In article <1990Jan11.195201.4981@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Well, after delays totalling nearly a month...  although one can make a
>case for at least some of that being one-time teething troubles of getting
>pad 39A back into operation.
>--

Some of the delays were due to weather.

Peter Jarvis.........