[sci.space.shuttle] New Shuttle Name?

sylvain@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (Nicholas Sylvain) (01/14/90)

	In a recent article, the name of the new shuttle flashed past. I
can't remember the name or in which article I saw it. Would someone please
e-mail or post the name of the new shuttle? Also, does anyone have information
on how far long the construction process is? Thanks.

--
"If you want to play the game, you better know the rules."
                          -- Inspector Harry Callahan (_The Dead Pool_)

Nicholas Sylvain     sylvain@udcps2.cps.udayton.edu or sylvain$n@dayton

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (01/14/90)

Nicholas Sylvain writes:
>In a recent article, the name of the new shuttle flashed past. I
>can't remember the name or in which article I saw it.

Here is the long answer.  A short version should be in the Frequently
Asked Questions list.

----

5/10/89: PRESIDENT BUSH NAMES REPLACEMENT ORBITER "ENDEAVOUR"

  President Bush today chose the name "Endeavour" for the new Space
Shuttle orbiter, currently under construction.

  The name Endeavour resulted from a nationwide orbiter-naming
competition supported by educational projects created by student teams
in elementary and secondary schools.

  These two national winning teams were selected from over 6,100
entries.  The judging criteria was: 80 percent for the quality and
creativity of the educational project to support and justify the name;
20 percent for the name's pronounceability for transmission and the
ability to capture the spirit of the American pioneer spirit. The name
had to be that of a seafaring vessel used in research or exploration.
Both winning teams proposed the name "Endeavour."

  Endeavour was the first ship commanded by James Cook, a British
explorer, navigator and astronomer. In August 1768, on Endeavour's
maiden voyage, Cook observed and recorded the transit of the planet
Venus. In the view of the students, Cook's navigations, explorations and
discoveries eventually led man to the possibilities of space
exploration.

  "In selecting the name Endeavour, the students and the President have
identified a name that symbolizes perfectly NASA's goals of space
exploration and discovery," said Dale D. Myers, NASA's Acting
Administrator. "The nation can rest assured that we will use this ship
with the same commitment that Captain Cook used his in the pursuit of
new knowledge to benefit all mankind."

  The new orbiter, previously designated OV-105, is being built by
Rockwell International, Downey, Calif., to replace the Space Shuttle
orbiter lost in the Challenger accident. Endeavour is scheduled to be
completed in 1991 with her maiden voyage scheduled for March 1992.

"ENDEAVOUR"

  Endeavour was the first ship commanded by James Cook, the 18th century
British explorer, navigator and astronomer. In August 1768, on
Endeavour's maiden voyage, Cook sailed to the South Pacific, around
Tahiti, on a mission to observe and record the important and seldom
occurring event when the planet Venus passes between Earth and the sun.
Determining the transit of Venus allowed early astronomers to determine
the distance of the sun from Earth. This distance then could be used as
a unit of measurement essential in calculating the parameters of the
universe. On June 3, 1769, Cook completed this mission and continued his
voyage to explore the southern hemisphere. He discovered and charted New
Zealand and surveyed the eastern coast of Australia and navigated the
Great Barrier Reef.

  In addition, Cook's voyage on the Endeavour set a precedent of
establishing the usefulness of sending scientists on voyages of
exploration. Joseph Banks and Carl Solander, who sailed with Cook,
became the first naturalists to examine plants and animals in an
organized manner. The wealth of scientifically collected material was
unique. They collected specimens from more than 100 new plant families
with 800 to 1,000 new species. They also encountered hundreds of new
species of animals. Cook also had astronomers and artists onboard.

  Endeavour and her crew made the first long-distance voyage on which no
crewmen died from scurvy, the dietary disease caused by the lack of
ascorbic acids. Cook is credited with being the first to use diet as a
cure for scurvy, making his crew follow a strict diet that included
cress, sauerkraut and an orange extract. He also ensured cleanliness and
ventilation in the crew's quarters.

  The Endeavour was small, 368 tons, about 100-feet long and 20-feet
wide.  She had a round bluff bow and a flat bottom that provided
uncommon spaciousness and helped prevent her from being torn apart by
coral.  However, in 1795, Endeavour ended her career on a reef along
Rhode Island.

----

[Somehow I suspect NASA rigged this 'contest' to rubber stamp the name
they already wanted... who knows, who cares.  At least it's not a maudlin
thumbsucker like 'Phoenix'.

Endeavour with a 'u' was entered by 20 teams.  Want to hear the other
state winner names?

Adventure (4), Blake, Calypso (7), Chatham, Deepstar (2), Desire, Dove,
Eagle, Endeavor (12), Endurance, Godspeed (3), Griffin, Gulf Stream,
H.M.S., Hokule'a, Horizon (4), Investigator, Meteor, Nautilus (6), North
Star, Pathfinder, Phoenix (6), Polar Star, Resolution (12), Rising Star,
Royal Tern, Trieste (2), Victoria (12), Victory (4).

Notice all the people who dropped the 'u' and lost.

I dunno, I kind of like 'Royal Tern', don't you?  'Royal Tern, this is
Houston; we have an update on some of those OMS numbers...'  'CNN Live
TV Pictures from Royal Tern.'

Of course even this way we'll get headlines like 'Tricky Endeavour'
every time there's a delay or problem...]

--
"A man came into the the office one day and said he  \|/  Tom Neff
was a sailor.  We cured him of that." - Mark Twain,  -O-  tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (01/18/90)

In article <1990Jan14.000134.7751@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu> sylvain@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (Nicholas Sylvain) writes:

>	In a recent article, the name of the new shuttle flashed past. I
>can't remember the name or in which article I saw it. Would someone please
>e-mail or post the name of the new shuttle? Also, does anyone have information
>on how far long the construction process is? Thanks.

The new Shuttle name is Endeavour and it is due about 1991-1992.

Peter Jarvis....