[sci.space.shuttle] shuttle landing path and speed

bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) (01/18/90)

Does anyone know the route the shuttle will take just prior to
landing and its general approach speed?   This seems like a
golden opportunity for those of us with shortwaves and would
like to hear it - I'd think there would be a lot of communication
during the landing, and its closer to earth (and in the middle of
the night, to boot).  Thanks for any help.

--
Dave Bakken				Internet:  bakken@cs.arizona.edu
721 Gould-Simpson Bldg			UUCP:	   uunet!arizona!bakken

In article <16934@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) writes:
>Does anyone know the route the shuttle will take just prior to
>landing and its general approach speed?   This seems like a
>golden opportunity for those of us with shortwaves and would
>like to hear it - I'd think there would be a lot of communication...

Unfortunately, practically all shuttle communications use microwave
frequencies.  I don't think it has anything that emits in the shortwave
bands, in fact, although shuttle communications are sometimes rebroadcast
on ham frequencies by the JPL hams, if I haven't misremembered something.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

pfluegerm@valley.UUCP (Mike Pflueger) (01/19/90)

In article <1990Jan18.060828.2266@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <16934@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) writes:
> >Does anyone know the route the shuttle will take just prior to
> >landing and its general approach speed?   This seems like a
> >golden opportunity for those of us with shortwaves and would
> >like to hear it - I'd think there would be a lot of communication...
>
> Unfortunately, practically all shuttle communications use microwave
> frequencies.  I don't think it has anything that emits in the shortwave
> bands, in fact, although shuttle communications are sometimes rebroadcast
> on ham frequencies by the JPL hams, if I haven't misremembered something.
> --
> 1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
> 1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

There ARE HF and UHF frequencies you can hear the shuttle on, an landing is
one of the most active times on those bands.

These were recently posted (within the past week) to rec.ham-radio and
rec.radio.shortwave.

I have personnally monitored the shuttle and related communications on several
of these freqs.  Good ones are the ones around 20 MHz, also 10MHz on HF (all
USB), but these are mostly support operations.

I've heard the shuttle itself on the UHF channels (all AM), 259.7 I think is
the primary (from memory; check the list).  I see Dave is in AZ like me, so
shuttle landings at Edwards are in range on UHF when the shuttle makes its
loop.  I've even heard quick (clear voice) calls on here at the end of
classified missions; might be part of a landing checklist to check the
UHF radios.

For VHF/UHF, I use an Icom R-7000 with a radio shack 30-50/150-170/450-470 MHz
ground plane at about 20 ft.  On HF, I have a Kenwood TS-440 with a ground
mounted Butternut HF6V vertical.

Recently discovered 279.0 MHz is used by the spacesuits.  Can't
wait for the next EVA to see if I can hear those...

--
Mike Pflueger @ AG Communication Systems (formerly GTE Comm. Sys.), Phoenix, AZ
  UUCP: {...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!hrc | att}!gtephx!pfluegerm