[sci.space.shuttle] Acronym Overload

dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) (01/16/90)

Houston, this is Columbia,... we have Acronym Overload, I repeat, Acronym
Overload... please advise.

In article <1641BARRY@RICEVM1> BARRY@RICEVM1.BITNET writes stuff with too
many acronyms.  Some of them I knew but could someone else fill in the
rest:

OMS-{1,2} - Orbiter (? Orbital) Maneuvering System (This was a guess)
MECO - ?
TAL - ?
RCS-1 - ?

---
Dan Tilque	--	dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM

"The Mars mission won't be cheap -- the cost is currently estimated at
$400 billion, not including reality -- but the potential benefits are
enormous.  For openers, we will earn as a nation, more than 500 million
Frequent Flyer miles."

				-- Dave Barry

mskucherawy@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Murray S. Kucherawy) (01/16/90)

In article <1393@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> dant@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) writes:
>Houston, this is Columbia,... we have Acronym Overload, I repeat, Acronym
>Overload... please advise.
>
>In article <1641BARRY@RICEVM1> BARRY@RICEVM1.BITNET writes stuff with too
>many acronyms.  Some of them I knew but could someone else fill in the
>rest:
>
>OMS-{1,2} - Orbiter (? Orbital) Maneuvering System (This was a guess)
>MECO - ?
>TAL - ?
>RCS-1 - ?

OMS is Orbiter Maneuvering System (your guess was correct).
MECO is Main Engine Cut Off, an event in launch and ascent proceedings.
I don't know the other two off-hand, but I have them in my collection
of postings at home... if nobody has answered by the time I'm next on,
I'll post answers to the other two.

Murray S. Kucherawy                                    "Betcha byte a chip!"
E-Mail: mskucherawy@{dahlia | crocus}.{waterloo.edu | UWaterloo.ca | UUCP}
Faculty of Mathematics (Comp Sci), University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario
Postmaster, UW Computer Science Club (watcsc.waterloo.edu)
System Manager, VAX/VMS Network, Board of Education, London, Ontario

demodmb@iitmax.IIT.EDU (Dean M. Bleess) (01/16/90)

RCS is Reaction Control System ,TAL souns kinda bogus to me.

D.M. Bleess

hoyme@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Ken Hoyme) (01/16/90)

TAL = Trans-Atlantic Abort
Ken Hoyme                    Honeywell Systems and Research Center
(612)782-7354                3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
Internet: hoyme@src.honeywell.com

hoyme@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Ken Hoyme) (01/17/90)

>TAL = Trans-Atlantic Abort
>Ken Hoyme                    Honeywell Systems and Research Center
>(612)782-7354                3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
>Internet: hoyme@src.honeywell.com

Please ignore this posting...the author of it must be suffering from a
brain disorder that results in an inability to spell or form acronyms.
He is receiving treatment, but occasionally sneaks onto the net without
supervision.  :-)

cheehh@jane.uh.edu (01/17/90)

In article <54016@srcsip.UUCP>, hoyme@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Ken Hoyme) writes:
>>TAL = Trans-Atlantic Abort
>>Ken Hoyme                    Honeywell Systems and Research Center
>>(612)782-7354                3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
>>Internet: hoyme@src.honeywell.com
>
> Please ignore this posting...the author of it must be suffering from a
> brain disorder that results in an inability to spell or form acronyms.
> He is receiving treatment, but occasionally sneaks onto the net without
> supervision.  :-)
>
> Ken Hoyme

Well, TAL *is* Trans-Atlantic Landing abort [along with RTLS (Return To
Launch Site abort, AOA (Abort Once Around) and ATO (Abort To Orbit)].
                .............                    |       Rikhit Arora
 And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod  |    cheehh@uhupvm1.bitnet
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,	 |    cheehh@jane.uh.edu
Put out my hand, and touched the the face of God.|    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (01/22/90)

In article <3243@iitmax.IIT.EDU> demodmb@iitmax.iit.edu (Dean M. Bleess) writes:
>RCS is Reaction Control System ,TAL souns kinda bogus to me.

TAL is Trans-Atlantic Landing........Peter Jarvis

4223_5403@uwovax.uwo.ca (Ket M'thau) (01/30/90)

In article <2953@phred.UUCP>, petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:
> In article <3243@iitmax.IIT.EDU> demodmb@iitmax.iit.edu (Dean M. Bleess) writes:
>>RCS is Reaction Control System ,TAL souns kinda bogus to me.
>>

> TAL is Trans-Atlantic Landing........Peter Jarvis

 Don't forget TLA, standing for Three Letter Acronym...

   V  Ket M'thau >or< JHGR        I *am* a number.
   O  USS Kepler                  In fact, I'm several.
   +  Star Trek Toronto           4223_5403 is just one of many.

 If I had had more time, I could have written you a shorter letter.
                                     -- Blaise Pascal