[sci.space.shuttle] NASA SELECT in UK

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (01/29/90)

From article <41223@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, by yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee):
> It's easy to get -- aim you satellite receiving dish up in the sky in the
> right direction.  I don't believe you need permission to receive NASA Select.
> After all, it is part of NASA's charter to inform the public of its work.

Further to this (and this query is aimed primarily at UK readers), does
anyone know if it's possible to receive NASA SELECT with currently
available satellite TV equipment in the UK (i.e. Sky and/or BSB stuff etc)?
Does NASA Select use the same ComSats as the commercial channels?

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, England
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) (02/02/90)

In article <2064@syma.sussex.ac.uk> andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:
>Does anyone know if it's possible to receive NASA SELECT with currently
>available satellite TV equipment in the UK (i.e. Sky and/or BSB stuff etc)?
>Does NASA Select use the same ComSats as the commercial channels?

I don't think you'll be able to se the direct feed in the UK or at least
anywhere near 0 deg. longitude. NASA's Select TV feed is carried on SatCom
2 (F2) which sits at 72 deg. W. long. From my experience it's very dificult
to see anything beyond 60 degs. away from your longitude. Ie., I'm at
approx. 81 deg. W. and have a bear of a time picking up Satcom 1 (F1) which
is at 139 deg. W. and I live on a pretty good sized hill with an excellent
view to the southwest. In other words, it'll "appear" below your horizon.

Also, rather unfortunately, F2 is one of the eastern most commercial type
"birds"; I believe only Spacenet 2 is further east. So, while some of the
other channels on other satellites might carry an occasional feed, they'll
be even further below your horizon.

Sorry,
jb@aablue.UUCP
--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
UUCP:	   {uunet!}aablue!jb	(John B. Scalia)

Just a little more nonsense to clutter up the net.