[sci.space.shuttle] ELV launched boosters for shuttle payloads

andrew@tvcent.uucp (Andrew Cowie) (01/30/90)

In article <1990Jan28.012650.19697@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

[ Talking about not putting Hubble into geostationary orbit ]

>The reason is economic: a low orbit maximizes payload with a given launcher.
>HST is just too big for the boost up to Clarke (geostationary) orbit.

[ I presume you mean STS in this case. ]

Something I have been meaning to mention for quite a long time:

I know that it is often said not to give ideas to NASA because they all ready
thought of them, but would it not be practical idea to launch a booster package
(say a couple of Inertial Upper Stages stacked together) using an Expendable
Launch Vehicle, (Titan IV) Then using the shuttle launch the main payload, (see
below) mate it to the booster, and fire it?

Specifically, this applies to Galileo, and to Hubble. Galileo will take 5+ years
to reach Jupiter, because NASA no longer likes the idea of lanching a shuttle
with a large liquid fuel booster (Centaur?) in the payload bay. It must use
three Gravity assist passes to attain sufficent speed to reach Jupiter
escape velocity. If it had been directed towards Jupiter with a large,
seperately launched booster attached, then there would be a much better chance
of its arriving sooner.

In Hubble's case, the telescope fills the entire bay. Thus there can be no
booster to send it to geostationary orbit. If, however, the telescope was mated
to a seperately launched booster, then it could attain a higher orbit without
to much difficulty.

I recognize that it is to late for this method to be applied to either mission,
but this could probably be a workable alternative for future missions. It would
also provide practice for astronuats in *real* orbital assembly.

Comments?

--
Andrew F. Cowie at TVC Enterprises, Toronto, Canada.
uunet!mnetor!lethe!tvcent!andrew  andrew@tvcent.uucp

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (01/30/90)

andrew@tvcent.UUCP (Andrew Cowie) writes:
> launch a booster [...] using an Expendable Launch Vehicle [...] using then
> shuttle launch the main payload [...] mate it to the booster, and fire it?

	Why use an ELV to launch the booster?  Why not send the booster up
in another shuttle?  Isn't the plan to eventually be able to launch two
shuttles at the same time, or at least in quick (1-2 weeks?) sucession?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

In article <1990Jan29.233938.8795@tvcent.uucp> andrew@tvcent.UUCP (Andrew Cowie) writes:
>>The reason is economic: a low orbit maximizes payload with a given launcher.
>>HST is just too big for the boost up to Clarke (geostationary) orbit.
>
>[ I presume you mean STS in this case. ]

I'm not sure anything currently in inventory could put HST in Clarke orbit,
actually, although it might be possible if you were willing to wait a
couple of years for a Titan IV.  Regardless of booster, of course, doing
so means forgoing any plans to replace the instruments with second-generation
ones (which are already under development) and likewise forgoing any hope of
maintenance in the event of trouble.  These limitations would be less
troublesome if there were any plans for a successor to HST.

>... would it not be practical idea to launch a booster package
>(say a couple of Inertial Upper Stages stacked together) using an Expendable
>Launch Vehicle, (Titan IV) Then using the shuttle launch the main payload...
> mate it to the booster, and fire it?

In-orbit assembly is officially Not A Problem for the space station and
Far Too Difficult for anything else.  Damned if I know why.  It seems an
eminently sensible approach.

(Actually, I think I can guess part of the reason.  The upper stages are
not designed to sit in parking orbits for weeks at a time waiting for
their payloads.  Safety and manpower issues argue against trying to
launch two shuttles in fast sequence, and NASA still prefers to do its
launches in house [i.e. on the shuttle] rather than buying them from
somebody else who NASA doesn't control.  So in-orbit assembly is not
politically feasible even though there's nothing wrong with it from
a technical standpoint.)
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (01/31/90)

In article <1990Jan30.191717.9035@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>I'm not sure anything currently in inventory could put HST in Clarke orbit,
>actually, although it might be possible if you were willing to wait a
>couple of years for a Titan IV.  Regardless of booster, of course, doing
>so means forgoing any plans to replace the instruments with second-generation
>ones (which are already under development) and likewise forgoing any hope of
>maintenance in the event of trouble.  These limitations would be less
>troublesome if there were any plans for a successor to HST.

They would also be less troublesome if there were a real Orbital Transfer
Vehicle (OTV) in development.  With an OTV you can de-orbit what you orbit,
so putting an observatory into a higher orbit wouldn't preclude manned
maintenance or upgrades, or even recovery.  Some kind of OTV is a must
if we're going to get better use out of near earth space in the coming
decades.

However I must agree with the previous poster that geostationary altitudes
are NOT too friendly a place for delicate instrumentation.  The detectors
would be bathed in exo-Van Allen levels of radiation.

Of course it would be nice to station an observatory directly above one
ground facility wouldn't it.

Let's hope that when a successor IS designed, we'll have the luxury of
deploying it either geostationary or on the Moon.

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (02/06/90)

In article <15140@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>In article <1990Jan30.191717.9035@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Of course it would be nice to station an observatory directly above one
>ground facility wouldn't it.
Or even in  the kind of orbit that the (1978) International Ultraviolet
Explorer uses, which allows coverage from GSFC and Villafranca ... :-)

>Let's hope that when a successor IS designed, we'll have the luxury of

Lets hope someone capitalises on IUE and IRAS soon as well (yes I know
there are successor missions).,

Nick

--
Nick Watkins, Space & Plasma Physics Group, School of Mathematical
& Physical Sciences, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, BN1 9QH, ENGLAND