[sci.space.shuttle] Agena Docking

Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu (Commander Krugannal) (02/02/90)

      Point well taken Henry about the Agena going up first. It
   seems though that the idea would still be feasible even in that
   case. We did it 25 years ago, I think we could still do it
   today. (In fact, let's keep it simple, and use Agena again!)

     On one of the Gemini flights though didn't they end up
   launching a alternate docking mechanism. (I think this was the
   same incident know as the "Angry Alligotor")

   Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu

In article <10556.1206.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu> Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu (Commander Krugannal) writes:
>      Point well taken Henry about the Agena going up first. It
>   seems though that the idea would still be feasible even in that
>   case. We did it 25 years ago, I think we could still do it
>   today...

Yeah, it would make a lot of sense.  Apart from the anti-expendable
politics within NASA, I can't see any problem with it.  It baffles me
that the people planning things like Mars sample-return missions are
obviously greatly inconvenienced by limited launch weights, and yet
won't consider in-orbit assembly.

>     On one of the Gemini flights though didn't they end up
>   launching a alternate docking mechanism. (I think this was the
>   same incident know as the "Angry Alligotor")

Yes, the Agena they originally put up ran out of on-orbit lifetime due
to repeated Gemini launch delays.  The cobbled-together docking test
vehicle that replaced it went up fine, except that its nose shroud did
not release properly.  (The astronauts wanted to try an EVA to remove
it, but Mission Control vetoed that.)
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

moe@nuchat.UUCP (Norman C. Kluksdahl) (02/04/90)

In article <1990Feb3.205522.22047@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>     On one of the Gemini flights though didn't they end up
>>   launching a alternate docking mechanism. (I think this was the
>>   same incident know as the "Angry Alligotor")
>
>Yes, the Agena they originally put up ran out of on-orbit lifetime due
>to repeated Gemini launch delays.  The cobbled-together docking test

The Augmented Target Docking Adapter, aka the 'angry aligator'.  Gemini
IX.  The thing was thrown together after the Atlas-Agena failed.  It did
not make it to orbit, due to a fault in the Atlas, which caused the
sustainer engine to gimbal to one extreme.  Telemetry from the Atlas-Agena
lasted only a few (fifteen or fewer) minutes.

Ref:  David Baker, History of Manned Spaceflight.  If you don't have it,
get it.

(Sorry, Henry  :-) )
Norman Kluksdahl
  ...!nuchat!moe

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (02/06/90)

In article <10556.1206.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu> Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu (Commander Krugannal) writes:

>   today. (In fact, let's keep it simple, and use Agena again!)
I fear you'd have to restart the (closed) Agena production line. Last
Agena was several years ago.

Nick

--
Nick Watkins, Space & Plasma Physics Group, School of Mathematical
& Physical Sciences, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, BN1 9QH, ENGLAND

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (02/07/90)

In article <10556.1206.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu> Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu (Commander Krugannal) writes:
>     On one of the Gemini flights though didn't they end up
>   launching a alternate docking mechanism. (I think this was the
>   same incident know as the "Angry Alligotor")

Same docking mechanism as all the others, except the shroud did not
fully separate and fall away as it was supposed to.

Peter Jarvis........Physio-Control