[sci.space.shuttle] How does the tailcone get around?

arppeter@ac.dal.ca (02/02/90)

Here's a logistical question I thought of, and don't know the answer to.
Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

How does the protective tailcone get to Edwards each time?
Is it collapsable?
Disposable?

I would think it is too large to fit on a truck or ride alone atop the 747.

Anyone know?

Peter J. Russell
ARPPETER@AC.DAL.CA

dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) (02/02/90)

In article <1195@ac.dal.ca> arppeter@ac.dal.ca writes:
#I would think it is too large to fit on a truck or ride alone atop the 747.

"And we're now offering preboarding for all unattended tailcones."  :-)

Douglas Krause                     One yuppie can ruin your whole day.
University of California, Irvine   Internet: dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu
Welcome to Irvine, Yuppieland USA  BITNET: DJKrause@ucivmsa

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (02/07/90)

In article <1195@ac.dal.ca> arppeter@ac.dal.ca writes:
>Here's a logistical question I thought of, and don't know the answer to.
>How does the protective tailcone get to Edwards each time?
>I would think it is too large to fit on a truck or ride alone atop the 747.
>Peter J. Russell

I would think they would put it indise the 747. There should be plenty
of room without the seats inside.........Peter Jarvis

belle@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Steve Belle) (02/10/90)

In article <1195@ac.dal.ca> arppeter@ac.dal.ca writes:

 >Here's a logistical question I thought of, and don't know the answer to.
 >How does the protective tailcone get to Edwards each time?
 >I would think it is too large to fit on a truck or ride alone atop the 747.
 >Peter J. Russell

After STS-26 landed back in 1988, I toured the shuttle area with a group
of other employees.  That question was asked and the answer was by truck.

Steve Belle
belle@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov
"not a civil servant"