[sci.space.shuttle] Space Shuttle Operator's Manual

jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop) (02/23/90)

     A few years back there was a book out called The Space Shuttle Operator's Manual.  It was full of general procedures, checklists, and diagrams of the forward flight deck controls.  It was revised following Challenger to include the new escape procedures.  I have been looking for this revised edition for the last few months; I wonder if it is out of print...  Anyway, its a great book if you can find it.

--
The opinions expressed by Mr. Bishop should not be construed to be those of the United States government, the U. S. Air Force, or any other agency.

"We meet again, Obi Wan. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but a learner. Now I am the Master."  -- Darth Vader

shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer (OFV)) (02/23/90)

You might try the Dryden Gift Shop for this book; I thought I saw it
there before Christmas.  You could also call the JSC and/or KSC gift
shops.

I only know the address for Dryden's shop--
     NASA ADFRF
     Gift Shop
     P.O. Box 273
     Edwards, CA  93523
     (805) 258-3311 between 0800 and 1530 Pacific, weekdays

(Actually this is the general Dryden address and phone, but it's late
Thursday evening and I won't be back at work until Monday.)
--

Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov or ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

fcs@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Fred Sabernick) (02/26/90)

In article <1990Feb23.051147.995@uokmax.uucp> jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
(Jonathan A Bishop) writes:

>     A few years back there was a book out called The Space Shuttle Operator's
>Manual.  It was full of general procedures, checklists, and diagrams of the
>forward flight deck controls.  It was revised following Challenger to include
>the new escape procedures.

>I have been looking for this revised edition for the last few months;
>I wonder if it is out of print...  Anyway, its a great book if you can find
>it.

I have never seen the revised edition, but I have the original in front of me
right now. Assuming it is the same publisher, you might try contacting
Ballantine Books directly to see if it is still in print or where you could
find it.

	       (My edition)     Library of Congress Catalog # 82-90220
	                        ISBN 0-345-33103-6 (Paperback)
	                        ISBN 0-345-30751-8 (Hardcover)

Sorry I don't have the address of Ballantine. They are somewhere in NYC, NY.

______________________
Fred Sabernick
fcs@hdw.csd.harris.com

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (02/26/90)

In article <1990Feb23.051147.995@uokmax.uucp> jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop) writes:

>     A few years back there was a book out called The Space Shuttle Operator's Manual.  It was full of general procedures, checklists, and diagrams of the forward flight deck controls.  It was revised following Challenger to include the new escape procedures.  I have been looking for this revised edition for the last few months; I wonder if it is out of print...  Anyway, its a great book if you can find it.

The revised edition of the "Space Shuttle Operator's Manual" is still in
print and doing well. I picked up my copy at the Space and Rocket Center
in Huntsville, Alabama a few months ago.

Peter Jarvis

danbe@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM (Dan Beougher) (03/03/90)

In article <2993@phred.UUCP>, petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:
> In article <1990Feb23.051147.995@uokmax.uucp> jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop) writes:
> >
> >     A few years back there was a book out called The Space Shuttle Operator's Manual.  It was full of general procedures, checklists, and diagrams of the forward flight deck controls.  It was revised following Challenger to include the new escape proced> ures.  I have been looking for this revised edition for the last few months; I wonder if it is out of print...  Anyway, its a great book if you can find it.
> >

> The revised edition of the "Space Shuttle Operator's Manual" is still in
> print and doing well. I picked up my copy at the Space and Rocket Center
> in Huntsville, Alabama a few months ago.
>
> Peter Jarvis

I just recently purchased one at the Smithsonian Air and Space
Museum in D.C.  Interesting, but fundamental.