[sci.space.shuttle] Challenger Last Words

robiner@iris.usc.edu (Steve Robiner) (02/28/90)

Does anyone out there know if the last minutes of the Challenger
flight recorder were ever released.  If so, where can I get a copy
or transcript.

About a month or so after the crash, I heard that the NYT was suing
NASA for the tape, but that's the last I heard of it.

I now see accounts of the crash where NASA officials publicly indicate the
crew died at impact (with the ocean) and not during the explosion as originally
speculated.

=Steve=

clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) (02/28/90)

In article <23146@usc.edu>, robiner@iris (Steve Robiner) writes:
>Does anyone out there know if the last minutes of the Challenger
>flight recorder were ever released.  If so, where can I get a copy
>or transcript.
>
>About a month or so after the crash, I heard that the NYT was suing
>NASA for the tape, but that's the last I heard of it.
>
>I now see accounts of the crash where NASA officials publicly indicate the
>crew died at impact (with the ocean) and not during the explosion as originally
>speculated.
>
>=Steve=

The transcripts of the in-cabin voice recorders were released.  These pick up
conversation in the flight deck (but not the mid-deck) including stuff not
transmitted over the radio.  I remember reading them in AW&ST.  The tape was a
continuous loop, I believe, and starts from several minutes before the launch
and ends with the explosion, at which time power was lost to the crew cabin.
The things I recall were some bantering among the crew concerning the nose cap
prematurely retracting (it wasn't), Judy Resnick saying "[shit] hot" at
ignition (expletive inferred; NASA censored), and, the last words on the tape,
Michael Smith saying "Uh, oh."  In one of a string of events in which NASA
tarnished its image, they stated two days or so before the transcripts were
released that there was no evidence that the crew had any knowledge that things
were going wrong, then said that further sound analysis of the tape had
revealed Smith's words.

NASA's behavior in the aftermath of the accident often seemed to me to be an
obvious exercise in damage control to the detriment of finding out what went
wrong.

As to the morbid details of what happened in the crew cabin after the
accident, there is no way of knowing.  Certainly the crew's fate was sealed
after the breakup, and the only way they would have had to communicate was via
handwritten notes (a la the passengers on the JAL 747 which crashed several
years ago).  In every respect, what happened to the Challenger was
non-survivable, and the time spent wondering about the crew's fate is better
spent on preventing such accidents.  It seems to me that the details of what
*caused* the accident are sufficiently well known, and I don't feel a need to
know all the lurid details of the tragedy.
--
Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    uunet!ksr!clj    harvard!ksr!clj

sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) (03/03/90)

In article <610@ksr.UUCP> clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) writes:
+non-survivable, and the time spent wondering about the crew's fate is better
+spent on preventing such accidents.  It seems to me that the details of what
+*caused* the accident are sufficiently well known, and I don't feel a need to
+know all the lurid details of the tragedy.

 Chris' point is an exellent one, but unfortunately it is lost on the real
target  group;  namely  the  big-shot, NASA MBA-managers that were all too
willing to let political oneupsmanship superceed crew safety.  The problem
is  not  a  NASA exclusive!  In general American management is technically
incompetent, and unwilling to look  at  the  long-term  effects  of  their
decisions.  They  rely  on  'seat-of-the-pants'  decisionmaking techniques
that are normally driven by short-term gain preceptions.  This  is  what's
killing  business  in  America!..  ..to  say  nothing  of  the  loss  of 7
volunteers.

 Management is always SOOO damn busy tryiny to 'put-the-pickle' to someone
in the next meeting they simply fail to do their advowed task:  MANAGE THE
TALENTS AND RESOURCES IN ORDER TO GET A JOB DONE.  Hence, I  feel  that  a
large  fraction of the multilayered management infrastructure has outlived
it's usefulness...it is obsolete, in a word!

 When a solid propellent engineer tells his manager that a launch  is  not
safe  below  a certain temperature, that manager has ONLY ONE REAL CHOICE,
to scrub the launch.  The idea that politics superceed safety reminds  one
of  the  old joke about the accountant who when interviewing for a job was
asked: "How much is 2 + 2?"..his answer, which got him the job, was:  "How
much  do  you want it to be?".  This is faulty thinking when the sceneario
includes limits in materials science!

 The sooner we (the scientists, engineers, technicians,  etc.)  decide  to
insist  on  decisional-autonomy  in such matters, the sooner we cast-off a
majority of the management "Charm-School" thinking..and the kind of people
that  go  for  such  crap - the sooner will come the day when decisions of
this type are NOT just another political gambit.

 comments welcome, flames from MBA-assholes to /dev/null! '73!
--
-Avatar-> (aka: Erik K. Sorgatz) KB6LUY           +-------------------------+
Citicorp(+)TTI                          *----------> panic trap; type = N+1 *

shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer (OFV)) (03/05/90)

In article <10432@ttidca.TTI.COM> sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) writes:

    Chris' point is an exellent one, but unfortunately it is lost on the real
   target  group;  namely  the  big-shot, NASA MBA-managers that were all too
   willing to let political oneupsmanship superceed crew safety.  The problem
   is  not  a  NASA exclusive!  In general American management is technically
   incompetent, and unwilling to look  at  the  long-term  effects  of  their
   decisions.

Virtually all of NASA's line management have _only_ engineering
degrees.  Here at Dryden, for example, I would bet that the only MBA's
are in staff positions and there aren't even very many of them (maybe
one or two in Procurement or Financial Management).

The same is true for the rest of Ames Research Center.

NASA does send its managers to training programs, but these are
structured to deal with government situations and bear no resemblence
to an MBA.  (My exposure to MBAs tells me this is no great loss :-).

I'm not prepared to estimate when such managers did their last
"Hands-on" engineering, but to criticize them for being MBAs is
incorrect.  They are also not technically illiterate, although
I will admit that some of them are not state-of-the-art.

Perhaps the moral is, you don't have to be an MBA to make mistakes.

--

Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov or ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA