[sci.space.shuttle] INTERESTED IN REVIEWS OF CHALLENGER

ain149e1@merrimack.edu (02/27/90)

HELLO!

I'D BE CURIOUS TO KNOW PEOPLE'S OPINIONS OF THE MOVIE "CHALLENGER" THAT AIRED
SUNDAY NIGHT ON ABC.  I THOUGHT THEY DID A GOOD JOB OF SHOWING THE CONCERN
THE PEOPLE AT MORTON THIOKOL(SP?) HAD ABOUT LAUNCHING IN THE COLD, BUT I THINK
THEY DID A LOUSY JOB IN SHOWING NASA'S RESPONSE.  I WISH THEY HAD ALSO SHOWED
SOMETHING ABOUT THE BLAST, HOW THE CREW CAPSULE FOR THE MOST PART, SURVIVED
INTACT.  I BELIEVE (PERSONALLY) THAT THE ASTRONAUTS SURVIVED THE BLAST, BUT
DROWN WHEN THE SHUTTLE HIT THE WATER.

KEVIN

In article <18626.25e9591a@merrimack.edu> ain149e1@merrimack.edu writes:
>... I BELIEVE (PERSONALLY) THAT THE ASTRONAUTS SURVIVED THE BLAST, BUT
>DROWN WHEN THE SHUTTLE HIT THE WATER.

No, actually, they were killed by the impact when the cabin hit the water.
They were *probably* unconscious from hypoxia, although that is not certain.
It is virtually certain that they were neither killed nor fatally injured
by the breakup itself.  (Technically there was no "blast"; the shuttle did
not explode, it disintegrated.)

(This isn't just personal opinion, it's what the NASA medical/forensic
report concluded.)
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/28/90)

In article <18626.25e9591a@merrimack.edu> ain149e1@merrimack.edu writes:
> I'D BE CURIOUS TO KNOW PEOPLE'S OPINIONS OF THE MOVIE "CHALLENGER" THAT AIRED
> SUNDAY NIGHT ON ABC.  I THOUGHT THEY DID A GOOD JOB OF SHOWING THE CONCERN
> THE PEOPLE AT MORTON THIOKOL(SP?) HAD ABOUT LAUNCHING IN THE COLD, BUT I THINK
> THEY DID A LOUSY JOB IN SHOWING NASA'S RESPONSE.

Anyone know if the Morton Thiokol / NASA discussion the night before the
ill-fated launch used real dialog?

As a space fan, I used to think that NASA was totally at fault for
not listening to Thiokol.  After seeing "Challenger", I'm not so sure
anymore.  Thiokol looked very disorganized and unscientific when they
were trying to convince NASA not to launch.

I am still disappointed that NASA (managers) did not recogize that booster
leakage could lead to a mission failure.  They seemed to know that there
was a problem with booster leakage, but they were not worried enough about
the problem to stop launching.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john

In article <61@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:
>I am still disappointed that NASA (managers) did not recogize that booster
>leakage could lead to a mission failure.  They seemed to know that there
>was a problem with booster leakage, but they were not worried enough about
>the problem to stop launching.

The best way to avoid this would be to occasionally fly with a passenger,
picked at random from among NASA and contractor managers.  Then we wouldn't
hear any of this nonsense about "take off your engineering hat and put on
your management hat".

Unfortunately, there are no plans to do that.  Moving (ex-)astronauts into
management is not nearly as good, but at least NASA has managed to do some
of that.
--
MSDOS, abbrev:  Maybe SomeDay |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
an Operating System.          | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

bbanzai@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Gary J Ehrlich) (03/06/90)

In article <61@newave.UUCP>, john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) writes:

> Anyone know if the Morton Thiokol / NASA discussion the night before the
> ill-fated launch used real dialog?

     Yes, the dialogue is in fact similar to what actually took place.
I have read the ROgers Commission report, which covers the content of
the teleconference very well (as is to be expected). Specifically, the
line "My God Thiokol, when do you want me to launch? April?" DID actually
occur. I'm not sure about the exact wording of the rest. I suggest
obtaining a copy of the Rogers report if you are interested in more
information

                                                     -- Gary J. Ehrlich
                                                 bbanzai@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu