[sci.space.shuttle] Will we lose another orbiter?

mmeyer@m2.csc.ti.com (Mark Meyer) (04/04/90)

In article <1609@nvuxr.UUCP> deej@nvuxr.UUCP (David Lewis) writes:
>A better approach would be to calculate the chance of losing at least
>one orbiter in N launches, because the above approach discounts the
>chance of two (or more) catastrophic failures on different flights.
>Although in reality the first would probably put a long hold, if not a
>stop, on the shuttle program, this calculation understates the
>probability.  I'm not up to derive the calculation for this in real
>time, though.  Maybe later.

	That's easy.  All you have to do is compute the probability of
no failures at all and subtract from 1.  This gives the probability of
at least one failure.  If p is the reliability, then the probability
of no failures in N launches is simply p^N.  Therefore, the
probability of losing at least one orbiter in N launches is 1 - p^N.
	By the way, if p=0.98, then the N such that 1-p^N = 0.9 turns
out to be 114, the same number David derived.

--
Mark Meyer          USENET: {ut-sally!im4u,convex!smu,sun!texsun}!ti-csl!mmeyer
Texas Instruments, Inc.                                   CSNET : mmeyer@TI-CSL