[sci.space.shuttle] Will we lose another orbiter

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (04/08/90)

In article <1990Apr6.024844.16083@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <278@flight.UUCP> george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) writes:
>>Are you talking about blown tires or gear deployment failure
>
>No gear-up landings -- so far, when asked to come down, the gear has
>always come down...

   On a side note, correct me if my memory has fogged considerably...
Isn't the gear down system a spring loaded explosive system ?
I kinda remember understanding that the gear was locked in place by
explosive bolts, which are blown & the gear drops.  Gravity & springs
then drop the gear.  If that's correct the gear could only stay up if
the explosive bolts don't fire.
al

In article <2836@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:
>Isn't the gear down system a spring loaded explosive system ?
>I kinda remember understanding that the gear was locked in place by
>explosive bolts, which are blown & the gear drops.  Gravity & springs
>then drop the gear.  If that's correct the gear could only stay up if
>the explosive bolts don't fire.

I don't remember the deployment mechanism, but it is true that the gear
can't be retracted in flight.  (That's one reason why the computers are
not trusted to lower the gear -- that function is manual only.)
--
Apollo @ 8yrs: one small step.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Space station @ 8yrs:        .| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

skywalker@dino.qci.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu (Timothy B. Reynolds) (04/09/90)

On reading the posting on landing gear deployment I ask "what if the
gear does not come down ?" Can the crew survive a belly landing,
can the vehicle survive such a landing...
-

Timothy B. Reynolds
VAX Systems Manager
My opinions are my own, not uncle Howards...

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer (OFV)) (04/09/90)

In article <450@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> skywalker@dino.qci.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu (Timothy B. Reynolds) writes:

   On reading the posting on landing gear deployment I ask "what if the
   gear does not come down ?" Can the crew survive a belly landing,
   can the vehicle survive such a landing...

It's highly probable that the crew will survive and that the vehicle
will survive with only minor damage.  Airliners land gear-up fairly
often, are repaired, and fly again quite nicely, for example, and the
Shuttle is much sturdier than an airliner.  They'll have to replace a
_lot_ of tiles, though.

The possibility of a gear-up landing of the Shuttle has been
considered; air bags (for raising it and manually extending the gear
for towing) are in place here.

Incidentally, having _no_ gear deploy is safer than having _some_ gear
deploy.  You're much less likely to roll it, for example.

I've always thought that a landing accident is somewhat likely, BTW,
but I think it likely that the vehicle won't be destroyed, just
damaged.  The crew is very likely to survive, probably uninjured.

--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
         NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (04/10/90)

In article <2836@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:

>   On a side note, correct me if my memory has fogged considerably...
>Isn't the gear down system a spring loaded explosive system ?
>I kinda remember understanding that the gear was locked in place by
>explosive bolts, which are blown & the gear drops.  Gravity & springs
>then drop the gear.  If that's correct the gear could only stay up if
>the explosive bolts don't fire.

The explosive charges that are available to "blow" the gear down are
only activated if the gear is not down and locked within 2 seconds.
The Pilot has a 2-switch sequence to get the gear down. The first
switch arms the pyro-techics, the 2nd switch lowers the gear. The gear
then has 2 second to go down and lock. If not, they are "blown" down
automatically.
Peter Jarvis........

In article <SHAFER.90Apr9095556@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer (OFV)) writes:
>   ... Can the crew survive a belly landing,
>   can the vehicle survive such a landing...
>
>It's highly probable that the crew will survive and that the vehicle
>will survive with only minor damage.  Airliners land gear-up fairly
>often, are repaired, and fly again quite nicely, for example, and the
>Shuttle is much sturdier than an airliner...

Sure about that, Mary?  My impression was the other way around:  the
orbiter is relatively fragile.  Certainly a ditching in water is
considered completely unsurvivable, with serious structural failure
likely (unless the assessments have been revised radically since the
Rogers report); that's why the crew now has a bailout system.  I can't
find a definitive statement about a belly landing, although (astronaut)
Paul Weitz told the Rogers commission:

	"My feeling is... strong that the Orbiter will not survive
	a ditching, and that includes land, water, or any unprepared
	surface..."

>I've always thought that a landing accident is somewhat likely, BTW,
>but I think it likely that the vehicle won't be destroyed, just
>damaged.  The crew is very likely to survive, probably uninjured.

As I recall, both NRC and OTA (in studies on future shuttle operations)
hinted that a hard landing was the single most likely reason to write
off an orbiter, and that the crew would quite possibly survive.
--
With features like this,      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
who needs bugs?               | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer (OFV)) (04/11/90)

In article <1990Apr11.041856.21663@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>In article <SHAFER.90Apr9095556@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer (OFV)) writes:
>>>   ... Can the crew survive a belly landing,
>>>   can the vehicle survive such a landing...

>>It's highly probable that the crew will survive and that the vehicle
>>will survive with only minor damage.  Airliners land gear-up fairly
>>often, are repaired, and fly again quite nicely, for example, and the
>>Shuttle is much sturdier than an airliner...

>Sure about that, Mary?  My impression was the other way around:  the
>orbiter is relatively fragile.  Certainly a ditching in water is
>considered completely unsurvivable, with serious structural failure
>likely (unless the assessments have been revised radically since the
>Rogers report); that's why the crew now has a bailout system.  I can't
>find a definitive statement about a belly landing, although (astronaut)
>Paul Weitz told the Rogers commission:

>       "My feeling is... strong that the Orbiter will not survive
>        a ditching, and that includes land, water, or any unprepared
>        surface..."

I based my remarks on conversations with the folks who were working
on the gear and braking systems (the infamous nosewheel steering!)
and that's what they think.

However, notice the difference in scenario--Paul refers here to
_ditching_, on an unprepared surface.  We were talking about a gear-up
landing, on a prepared surface (i.e. the runway or lakebed).  I am
quite willing to say that the Shuttle will not survive a ditching, no
matter where the gear is.

>>I've always thought that a landing accident is somewhat likely, BTW,
>>but I think it likely that the vehicle won't be destroyed, just
>>damaged.  The crew is very likely to survive, probably uninjured.

>As I recall, both NRC and OTA (in studies on future shuttle operations)
>hinted that a hard landing was the single most likely reason to write
>off an orbiter, and that the crew would quite possibly survive.

Part of the question here rests on writing off vs. repairing and the
other part rests on what a hard landing is.  Airliners are repaired
fairly cheaply, compared to the replacement cost, and both the cost
and technique are well-known.  As for the Shuttle, who knows?  I think
that there'd be a strong inclination to repair, not write off.

Now what's a hard landing?  Too high a sink rate, so that you bottom
out the gear, or driving the gear through the wings, or scraping the
belly off on the runway, or rolling the vehicle up into a ball of
crumpled metal?  To me the first three are damage, the last is
destruction.  So even a hard landing is a question of degree.

But yes, the Shuttle is vulnerable to landing accidents.