[sci.space.shuttle] Space Shuttle Fiction

burnette@ingr.com (Lesley Burnette) (04/11/90)

I just started reading this group, so forgive me if this is a repeat or non-
kosher.

I just finished reading a book by Payne Stewart (I think - but that is the name
of a golfer, so I could be wrong) called Storming Intrepid.  It is about a
russian agent getting control of a space shuttle that has the final and most
secret and important piece of the SDI platform.  He is going to fly it back down
into Russia.  So the Americans are rushing to get him and the russians are
rushing to get him, as the ship (Intrepid) gets cripled in space.

It is quite qood because it gives lots of info on the military uses of the
space programs, and lots of info on the Russian shuttle and space program.

I recommend it as good fiction for anyone who likes to read about the shuttle.

Lesley.

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (04/11/90)

In article <9687@ingr.com> burnette@ingr.UUCP (Lesley Burnette) writes:
>I just finished reading a book ...  about a
>russian agent getting control of a space shuttle that has the final and most
>secret and important piece of the SDI platform.

Well, that's how you can tell it's fiction.

Only a casual fictionsmith would even dare to suggest that SDI might ever
be permitted to have a "final" component.

To think of program completion is to misunderstand SDI altogether! :-)
--
US out of North America, NOW!!   /:   Tom Neff
           -- Richard O'Rourke   :/   tneff%bfmny0@UUNET.UU.NET

jwaid@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (James Waid) (04/11/90)

	I also just finished that book.  I was at Chicago O'Hare and got decided
	to get something to keep me occupied on my upcomming flight, so I pick
	up this book and couldn't put it down.  As a student studing a lot about	avionics I found this book to be outstanding, I want more!!!
	I don't normally read books in my
	leasure time, but this book may change my mind.  Does anyone have
	any suggestions on books simular to Storming Intrepid that I could
	read, or authors that write books like this.  Send them to me email
	please.  By the way the guys name is Payne Harrison.

					thanks,
					Jim

pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott) (04/11/90)

In article <9687@ingr.com>, burnette@ingr.com (Lesley Burnette) writes:
> I just finished reading a book by Payne Stewart (I think - but that is
the name
> of a golfer, so I could be wrong) called Storming Intrepid.  It is about a
> russian agent getting control of a space shuttle that has the final and most
> secret and important piece of the SDI platform.  He is going to fly it
back down
> into Russia.  So the Americans are rushing to get him and the russians are
> rushing to get him, as the ship (Intrepid) gets cripled in space.

The author is Payne Harrison, and I was recommended to the book about 6 months
ago by a netter.  I loved it.  It's Tom Clancy in space.

This is news.  This is your       |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
brain on news.  Any questions?    |    (pjs@aristotle.jpl.nasa.gov)