[sci.space.shuttle] Drag chutes for Shuttle braking

In article <261a51ce.358b@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> mhuang@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU ( * * * Hunter * * * ) writes:
>>>...possibility that NASA could install a drag chute...
>>Already planned.  Endeavour will have one, and the rest of the orbiters will
>>get it as a retrofit eventually.
>
>What other improvements are planned for the Endeavour that will be retrofitted
>to existing shuttles?  ...

A bunch of little things, the details of which I don't remember.  Better
nosewheel steering, I think, and the latest revision of the thermal
protection materials.  The drag chute was the only really new thing.
--
Apollo @ 8yrs: one small step.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Space station @ 8yrs:        .| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr3.170358.121@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Already planned.  Endeavour will have one, and the rest of the orbiters will
>get it as a retrofit eventually.
>--

I would like to know where they intend on putting this chute and the control
system that operated it. I don't know of any spare space for the chute
and control system which would have to be somewhere in or near the engine
compartment.

Peter Jarvis.........

In article <3032@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:
>I would like to know where they intend on putting this chute and the control
>system that operated it. I don't know of any spare space...

I think -- it's been a while -- that the intent was to add a small housing
in the usual place, at the base of the tailfin.
--

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (04/12/90)

In article <1990Apr10.172445.4319@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>I think -- it's been a while -- that the intent was to add a small housing
>in the usual place, at the base of the tailfin.
>--

That's fine, but I've seen residual APU hot gases and flame near there
after some landings. I think that's something they would have to deal with
first.
Peter Jarvis.........