[sci.space.shuttle] Freedom Construction

skywalker@fred.qci.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu (04/08/90)

When will the construction start (on the ground) start ?
Also when will the first segments fly onboard the shuttle ?

My opinions are my own..Who am I to speak for the dead...

Timothy...

dbm0000@DOMAIN_2.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave McKissock) (04/12/90)

In article  <494@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>,
skywalker@fred.qci.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu writes:

>When will the construction start (on the ground) start ?
>Also when will the first segments fly onboard the shuttle ?

Being a rather wordy engineer, my response to your simple
questions is on the long side. My apologies. For those of you
who don't want to wade through the following disertation, the
short answers are 1) "Construction" starts after March 1992,
2) first segment flies on shuttle on March 31, 1995.

=== QUESTION #1 ===
Your first question is a little difficult to answer. It's not
like we are constructing a new building, & have a ceremony
where the big cheeses get to have their pictures taken during
ground-breaking as they stick their shoves in the ground. In
Space Station, we are following the standard NASA procedure of
having a series of reviews for each Station distributed system
(i.e. power system, thermal control system, communications,
etc.) and each element (node 1, habitation module, solar power
module, etc.). The "biggies" in the reviews are:
  PDR - Preliminary Design Review. A technical review of the
basic design approach. Lewis Research Center is having our PDR
for the Station electrical power system in July.
  CDR - Critical Design Review. The purpose of CDR is to
determine the compliance with NASA requirements of the
completed design. CDR results in authorization to the
Contractor to release to manufacturing all engineering
drawings, and the approval of test procedures. Our CDR is
scheduled for March 1992, so I guess you could say
"construction begins" on the power system after March 1992.

To fill out the review list, in case you are interested, ...
  DCR - Design Certification Review. Ensure that all system
designs have been verified and are ready for flight. DCR for
flight 1 of the Station is May 1994.

  OPR - Operations Readiness Review. Provides a critical
review and assessment of operations plans and processes, and
operations capabilities not reviewed in the DCR process. OPR
for flight 1 of Freedom is scheduled for August 1994.

  FRR - Flight Readiness Review. Formally certify the
flightworthiness of the assembly hardware. The FFRR (First
Flight Readiness Review) is January 1995.

=== QUESTION #2 ===
The currently baselined Space Station Freedom assembly
sequence takes 29 shuttle flights. 14 of the flights deal with
assembly of Station elements. 11 of the flights are Logistics
& resupply, and the remaining 4 are outfitting flights (where
racks are added inside the nodes & the lab modules, for
example). Highlights of the assembly sequence are as follows
(with a focus on the early flights as you specifically asked
about the first segments):

Flight   Date    What Goes Up
  1     3/31/95  Solar array, truss structure, assembly work
                 platform for the astronauts, astronaut
                 positioning system, docking adapter,
                 mobile transporter, Flight Telerobotic
                 Servicer, & Passive Dampers (I believe
                 they are like the kind used on LDEF to
                 maintain Station attitude). This is a
                 PASSIVE spacecraft. The solar arrays are not
                 deployed until flight 2. NASA is currently
                 studying an active spacecraft for flight 1.

  2     6/15/95  More Truss bays, Starboard Ku antenna pallet
                 with avionics, 2 propulsion pallets,
                 starboard central Thermal Control System
                 pallet, passive dampers.

  3     8/31/95  Starboard & Port thermal control system
                 radiators & condensors, power management
                 and distribution pallet, Guidance Navigation
                 & Control pallet, Attached Payload
                 Accommodation Equipment stuff

  4     11/15/95 Forward Port node, pressurized docking
                 adapter, cupola

  5     1/31/96 O2/N2 repress tanks, port thermal control
                pallet, propulsion pallet, Port Ku antenna
                pallet, more truss

  6     3/31/96 Port solar array, propulsion pallet

  7     6/15/96  U.S. Laboratory Module added. After this
                 flight, the Station is "man-tended". That
                 means when the Shuttle docks, folks can enter
                 a pressurized module & do useful work, but
                 the visitors must leave when the Shuttle
                 leaves.

 13     7/30/97  Freedom is permanently manned (peopled?)
                 after this flight. The configuration includes
                 all U.S. modules, all nodes, airlock
                 associated power and subsystems, attached
                 payload, the Canadian Mobile Servicing
                 Center, and one full logistics module.

 17     2/1/98   Japanese Experiment Module added.

 20     6/15/98  European Space Agency Module added.

 29     7/30/99  Assembly Complete. All elements of the
                 approved Space Station Freedom Program
                 baseline configuration are in orbit &
                 functional.
Dave McKissock              sakissoc@csd.lerc.nasa.gov
NASA LeRC: Responsible for the remarkable & ingenious Space Station
           Freedom Electrical Power System
Opinions expressed herein probably bear absolutely no resemblance to
the official NASA position.