[sci.space.shuttle] Blowing Up the Shuttle

whitehrc@ingr.com (Robert C. Whitehead) (04/06/90)

In article <10556.1574.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu>, Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu (Commander Krugannal) writes:

>       Above, Robert writes that if the Shuttle deviates to far
>    from course, the Range Safety Officer would blow it up.
>    This HAS been done.  The Range Safety Officer, upon gaining
>    information on Challanger, realized that the shuttle was
>    unrecoverable and uncontrollerable and detonated charges in the
>    ET and SRB's.

Not true.  The ET range safety charges were found intact after Challenger.

>      Actually, to state the the RSO would blow the shuttle up is
>    a misnomer. There is a line of charges that runs along the
>    ET. The idea is simply to open a large hole and very quickly
>    depressurize the tank and dump the fuel.  As long as this
>    did not hit a flame source (i.e. the SRB's or SSME's) the
>    shuttle would survive.

I find your argument specious.  We've already stipulated that
one SRB is lit; therefore the chances that a flame source
is not present are two: fat and slim.

Care to explain how high-velocity explosive is going to be
flameless?  Hell, if the RSO hits the Button, the ET, SRBs,
orbiter, and the astronauts are *gone*, repeat, *gone*!
Write the obits!  NASA has already said, and every engineer
I can collar confirms, that from the moment the SRB(s) light(s)
until they (it) separate(s), there is no safe way home.

Since the same signal that lights the SRBs blows the holddown
bolts, if only one SRB lights, the astronaut corps is going
to lose some good friends.

 ----------------------------
| Robert C. (Bob) Whitehead  |
|         --=rcw=--          | Intergraph Corporation, Huntsville
| Direct Email Replies:      | Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are
|	ingr!b32a!rw8024!bob |  strictly mine
 ----------------------------
              />                  The Faith
 (           //------------------------------------------------------------(
(*)OXOXOXOXO(*> * * * K N I G H T S * O F * C O L U M B U S * * *           \
 (           \\--------------------------------------------------------------)
              \>          And The Right To Fight For It!

mdbomber@portia.Stanford.EDU (Matt Bartley) (04/07/90)

In article <1990Apr5.035158.23244@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <10556.1574.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu> Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu (Commander Krugannal) writes:
>>   This HAS been done.  The Range Safety Officer, upon gaining
>>   information on Challanger, realized that the shuttle was
>>   unrecoverable and uncontrollerable and detonated charges in the
>>   ET and SRB's.
>
>Well, he pushed his button all right, which blows everything -- there
>is no capability to blow just the SRBs or just the ET -- but the ET was
>already in pieces and so were its destruct systems.  They were recovered
>unexploded.  The SRB destruct system functioned as planned.

I thought after the explosion the SRB`s went flying away like bottle rockets.
When I first saw what happened I thought they were burning pieces of the
shuttle, but I later saw they were the engines.  Doesn't sound like
the destruct worked there.

>>   depressurize the tank and dump the fuel.  As long as this
>>   did not hit a flame source (i.e. the SRB's or SSME's) the
>>   shuttle would survive...

>In a catastrophic failure, especially with explosives involved, plenty of
>ignition sources will inevitably be present.  Note that Challenger did
>not "explode" in any technical sense; it went to pieces and the fuel
>burned.  The orbiter was destroyed not by a blast wave, but by being
>thrown violently out of control at Mach 3 when the ET fell apart.

What first touched off the breakup?  I thought the burnthrough of the SRB
caused the external tank to explode, from either burning through tank and
lighting off the H2, or heating and pressurizing the stuff until the tank
burst.  That of course took the orbiter with it.

In the video, it seemed like the orbiter was blow to bits.  It didn't look
like the tank blew and then the orbiter flew into pieces like you said.
It looked too fast for that.  I thought the thing was vaporized.

--
Internet: mdbomber@portia.stanford.edu                   Matt Bartley
Bitnet: mdbomber%portia@stanford.bitnet

gwh@volcano.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (04/07/90)

In article <10884@portia.Stanford.EDU> mdbomber@portia.Stanford.EDU (Matt Bartley) writes:
>>>   This HAS been done.  The Range Safety Officer, upon gaining
>>>   information on Challanger, realized that the shuttle was
>>>   unrecoverable and uncontrollerable and detonated charges in the
>>>   ET and SRB's.
>>
>>Well, he pushed his button all right, which blows everything -- there
>>is no capability to blow just the SRBs or just the ET -- but the ET was
>>already in pieces and so were its destruct systems.  They were recovered
>>unexploded.  The SRB destruct system functioned as planned.
>
>I thought after the explosion the SRB`s went flying away like bottle rockets.
>When I first saw what happened I thought they were burning pieces of the
>shuttle, but I later saw they were the engines.  Doesn't sound like
>the destruct worked there.

The RSO waited until it was clear what was happening.  In particular, when the
SRB's were determined to be headed back towards land [quite a bit after the
intial explosion] the RSO detonated the charges.

George William Herbert     JOAT For Hire: Anything, Anywhere: My Price
UCB Naval Architecture undergrad: Engineering with a Bouyant Attitude :-)
gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu <= prefered [also gwh@soda.berk.. and maniac@garnet.berk..]
	Give me a billion dollars and two years and I'll build you a space
	station you'll never forget.
"Pull up!   NO, NOT THAT UP!" CRUNCH

In article <1990Apr6.234715.22061@agate.berkeley.edu> gwh@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:
>The RSO waited until it was clear what was happening.  In particular, when the
>SRB's were determined to be headed back towards land [quite a bit after the
>intial explosion] the RSO detonated the charges.

One reason why he wasn't in a hurry was that it had originally been thought
that loose SRBs would tumble, which would largely eliminate the threat of
them running wild.  Oops; didn't happen that way.

In fact, 20-20 hindsight later determined that the SRBs probably were not
a threat and nothing dire would have happened if the RSO had kept his
finger off the button... but the man gets paid to make a decision without
waiting for the benefit of hindsight.
--
Apollo @ 8yrs: one small step.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Space station @ 8yrs:        .| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <10884@portia.Stanford.EDU> mdbomber@portia.Stanford.EDU (Matt Bartley) writes:
>What first touched off the breakup?  I thought the burnthrough of the SRB
>caused the external tank to explode, from either burning through tank and
>lighting off the H2, or heating and pressurizing the stuff until the tank
>burst...

At about the same moment, (a) the external tank, having had a substantial
flame playing on it for some seconds, suffered a major structural failure,
and (b) the aft support struts for the SRB, exposed to the same flame,
failed, and the SRB pivoted on its forward struts, mashing in the side
of the tank near the top end.  The hydrogen did not "light off", as
far as is known, until the tank failed (in any case, it can't light off
inside a tank with no oxidizer present), and tank pressures were not
grossly outside normal bounds.  There was no explosion, just a large fire
as hydrogen from the disintegrating tank burned.

>In the video, it seemed like the orbiter was blow to bits.  It didn't look
>like the tank blew and then the orbiter flew into pieces like you said.
>It looked too fast for that.  I thought the thing was vaporized.

In a word, no.  Read the Rogers Commission report, which based its
conclusions on detailed studies of the technical evidence.  Things do
happen very quickly with major structural failure at hypersonic speeds.
It is possible, although not certain, that the pivoting SRB struck the
orbiter's wing as an additional contributing factor.

The orbiter most certainly was not vaporized; in particular, the cabin
held together well enough that the astronauts were alive (although
probably unconscious) until water impact, and the TDRS payload was
found more or less in one piece.  Both the cabin and the main engines
were identifiable in the photos immediately after the breakup; the Rogers
report points them out.  A good bit of the orbiter was reconstructed from
salvaged debris, and probably most of it could have been if recovery
efforts had been more persistent.
--

rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Ellis) (04/09/90)

In a message of <Apr 04 04:37>, Commander Krugannal (Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu ) writes:

 CK>      Actually, to state the the RSO would blow the shuttle up is
 CK>    a misnomer. There is a line of charges that runs along the
 CK>    ET. The idea is simply to open a large hole and very quickly
 CK>    depressurize the tank and dump the fuel.  As long as this
 CK>    did not hit a flame source (i.e. the SRB's or SSME's) the
 CK>    shuttle would survive.  I believe Henry has already explained
 CK>    how the SRB's themselves would be detonated.

The are also charges on each SRB.  The three (ET, and 21 SRBs) charges are
ganged together to that if any one is armed, they all arm.  Ditto for firing.

--
Rick Ellis
...!{dhw68k,zardoz,lawnet,conexch}!ofa123!rick                             rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG

In article <1990Apr9.062158.21015@uokmax.uucp> mflawson@uokmax.uucp (Michael F Lawson) writes:
>If there were another similar shuttle breakup today and by some miracle some
>astronauts did remain conscious for a minute or so, would they be able to
>get out of the cabin in free-fall?  More specifically, would the emergency
>hatch jettison system still work with no power to the cabin?  And do they even
>wear parachutes on the ascent?

They now wear partial-pressure suits with oxygen systems, so they would
remain conscious.  And they now have parachutes.  I'm a bit unsure about
the hatch-jettison system, although some of those complications were meant
to deal with bailing out in gliding flight and would be less necessary
for getting out after an orbiter had disintegrated.
--

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (04/10/90)

In article <10556.1574.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu> Greg_d._Moore@mts.rpi.edu (Commander Krugannal) writes:

>   This HAS been done.  The Range Safety Officer, upon gaining
>   information on Challanger, realized that the shuttle was
>   unrecoverable and uncontrollerable and detonated charges in the
>   ET and SRB's.

The RSO did not detonate the charges in the ET. They were recovered
intact. Only the SRB's were destroyed by RSO.

Peter Jarvis..........

In article <1990Apr7.221851.14080@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>report points them out.  A good bit of the orbiter was reconstructed from
>salvaged debris, and probably most of it could have been if recovery
>efforts had been more persistent.

Challenger debris recovery went on until sometime in June. How much more
persistent would you have them be?

Peter Jarvis..........

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (04/10/90)

In article <10884@portia.Stanford.EDU>, mdbomber@portia.Stanford.EDU (Matt Bartley) writes:
> I thought after the explosion the SRB`s went flying away like bottle rockets.
> When I first saw what happened I thought they were burning pieces of the
> shuttle, but I later saw they were the engines.  Doesn't sound like
> the destruct worked there.

It took the RSO some time to blow up the SRBs  (110.250 seconds after launch,
36 seconds after the explosion).  I think there was some hope that they'd
recover the SRBs whole, but the left SRB was headed toward a populated area.

> What first touched off the breakup?

T+72.497	SSME roll gimbal rates 5deg/sec
T+72.525	Vehicle max +Y lateral acceleration (+.227g)

Now, imagine being hit under the chin with a GREAT, BIG SLEDGEHAMMER being
driven at Mach 3.  You'd go to pieces, too ;-).
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

In article <121.261FF149@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG> rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Ellis) writes:
>The are also charges on each SRB.  The three (ET, and 21 SRBs) charges are
>ganged together to that if any one is armed, they all arm.  Ditto for firing.

One of the Rogers Commission's recommendations, in fact, was that it might
be worth investigating the possibility of separate arming and firing.
--

In article <3035@phred.UUCP> petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) writes:
>>... A good bit of the orbiter was reconstructed from
>>salvaged debris, and probably most of it could have been if recovery
>>efforts had been more persistent.
>
>Challenger debris recovery went on until sometime in June. How much more
>persistent would you have them be?

"Persistent" wasn't quite the word I wanted, although it was the best
one-word approximation I could think of.  Debris recovery was aimed at
investigating the disaster rather than at recovering every possible
fragment; for example, I don't believe they tried to recover the TDRS,
although they did locate it and verify that it seemed to be in one piece.
--
Apollo @ 8yrs: one small step.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Space station @ 8yrs:        .| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

whitehrc@ingr.com (Robert C. Whitehead) (04/11/90)

I hope everyone remembers the basis for the argument about
the Shuttle generating a 1.2 megaton blast if it were
range-saftied on the pad.

I finally got the definitive figures from my reliable source
(aka my brother-in-law, who wrote the specs and redlines
for the Range Saftey System on STS).  I have appended them with
the parameters of the explosion.

TERMS:

	FIREBALL
	Defined as area of 27 pounds per square inch (psi)
	overpressure

	ZONE OF TOTAL DESTRUCTION
	Defined as area of 12 psi overpressure

	100% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA
	Defined as area of 8 psi overpressure

	50% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA
	Defined as area of 3.5 psi overpressure

	10% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA
	Defined as area of 1.7 psi overpressure

	5% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA (aka 50% casualty area,
	meaning that 50% of the people in this area die)
	Defined as area of 1.2 psi overpressure

	DEBRIS ZONE
	Defined as area of .7 psi overpressure

OK, now that the nitpicking is out of the way and the terms
are defined, we'll get on with it:

CASE STUDY #1

Range Saftey declared on the pad; SRB and ET RS devices are triggered

ASSUMING:

Blast is at ground level, with 40% of the blast directed
upward.  100% of all fuel (solid, hydrogen, and oxygen)
is consumed in the blast at maximum possible rate of burn.

FIREBALL = 891 feet radius

ZONE OF TOTAL DESTRUCTION = 1,321' radius

100% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA = 1,615' radius

50% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA = 2,643' radius

10% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA = 4,405' radius

5% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA (aka 50% casualty area,
meaning that 50% of the people in this area die) = 7,341' radius

DEBRIS ZONE = 11,747' radius

According to my sources, this compares favorably to the blast
caused by 1 megaton of TNT.

Notice that I said *blast*: this has nothing to do with the
thermal or radiation effects of a thermonuclear device.  I think
that most people arguing with me are saying that a 1MT nuke is
much more destructive.  In a way, they're right, but it's only
because a nuke has three dimensions of destruction (blast, fire,
and radiation) whereas 1MT of TNT is a blast-only weapon.

(Yes, I'll concede that if you detonated 1MT TNT, *something*
would probably burn; I maintain, however, that TNT's thermal
destruction capacity is negligible when compared to a nuke.)

CASE STUDY #2

Range Safety declared on the pad; only the ET RS device triggers.
Only the ET explodes.

ASSUMING:

Blast is at ground level, with 40% of the blast directed upward.

FIREBALL = 589' radius

ZONE OF TOTAL DESTRUCTION = 884' radius

100% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA = 1,081' radius

50% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA = 1.768' radius

10% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA = 2,947' radius

5% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA (aka 50% casualty area,
meaning that 50% of the people in this area die) = 4,912' radius

DEBRIS ZONE = 7,859' radius

I'll be happy to pass on any objections, but I remind you that
these figures come from the people who *build* the SRBs -
United Technologies/USBI.

 ----------------------------
| Robert C. (Bob) Whitehead  |
|         --=rcw=--          | Intergraph Corporation, Huntsville
| Direct Email Replies:      | Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are
|	ingr!b32a!rw8024!bob |  strictly mine
 ----------------------------
              />
 (           //------------------------------------------------------------(
(*)OXOXOXOXO(*> * * * K N I G H T S * O F * C O L U M B U S * * *           \
 (           \\--------------------------------------------------------------)
              \>

pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott) (04/11/90)

In article <9689@ingr.com>, whitehrc@ingr.com (Robert C. Whitehead) writes:
> I finally got the definitive figures from my reliable source
> (aka my brother-in-law, who wrote the specs and redlines
> for the Range Saftey System on STS).  I have appended them with
> the parameters of the explosion.
>[...]
> CASE STUDY #2
>
> Range Safety declared on the pad; only the ET RS device triggers.
> Only the ET explodes.

I'd be curious to know where they get off speculating that the ET could
blow up without setting off the SRBs.  With a fireball of 589' radius,
and considering that the SRBs have their own oxidizer mixed in with them
and require little more than a spark to ignite, this seems an unlikely
scenario indeed.

This is news.  This is your       |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
brain on news.  Any questions?    |    (pjs@aristotle.jpl.nasa.gov)

dave@rnms1.paradyne.com (Dave Cameron (Consultant)) (04/12/90)

In article <9689@ingr.com> whitehrc@ingr.com (Robert C. Whitehead) writes:

>I finally got the definitive figures from my reliable source
>(aka my brother-in-law, who wrote the specs and redlines
>for the Range Saftey System on STS).  I have appended them with
>the parameters of the explosion.
>
>TERMS:
 [Defined as area of X psi overpressure]
>	5% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA (aka 50% casualty area,
>	meaning that 50% of the people in this area die)
>	Defined as area of 1.2 psi overpressure
>
>I'll be happy to pass on any objections, but I remind you that
>these figures come from the people who *build* the SRBs -
>United Technologies/USBI.

Now Wait A Minute - somebody clearly misunderstood something.

The accepted definition of casualty is injury, not death. Even with this
change I wonder about that part.

One of the first lessons to come out of WWII was how RESISTANT to
overpressure the human body is.

[The English government planned for way too many dead and way too few
homeless and minor injuries for the bombing of London.
After the first big raid they had a lot of unneeded coffins and a lot of
basically unhurt people looking for shelter.
]

[The structural damage numbers are reasonable for normal construction.]

dave "thinkin about the unthinkable" cameron

whitehrc@ingr.com (Robert C. Whitehead) (04/12/90)

In article <1990Apr11.161459.14816@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>, pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott) writes:
> In article <9689@ingr.com>, whitehrc@ingr.com (Robert C. Whitehead) writes:
> > I finally got the definitive figures from my reliable source
> > (aka my brother-in-law, who wrote the specs and redlines
> > for the Range Saftey System on STS).  I have appended them with
> > the parameters of the explosion.
> >[...]
> > CASE STUDY #2
> >
> > Range Safety declared on the pad; only the ET RS device triggers.
> > Only the ET explodes.
>
> I'd be curious to know where they get off speculating that the ET could
> blow up without setting off the SRBs.  With a fireball of 589' radius,
> and considering that the SRBs have their own oxidizer mixed in with them
> and require little more than a spark to ignite, this seems an unlikely
> scenario indeed.
>
> Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech

Thanks for the catch, Pete...

Granted; what I should have said is that the figures represented
the amount of damage one could expect if the ET blew alone.

The case study scenario was poorly worded.  Let's just say that
if, for some reason, NASA wanted to blow up a full ET, that's
what you'd get (though God only knows why they'd want to blow
up a good ET.....)

 ----------------------------
| Robert C. (Bob) Whitehead  |
|         --=rcw=--          | Intergraph Corporation, Huntsville
| Direct Email Replies:      | Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are
|	ingr!b32a!rw8024!bob |  strictly mine
 ----------------------------

In article <9689@ingr.com> whitehrc@ingr.com (Robert C. Whitehead) writes:
>I hope everyone remembers the basis for the argument about
>the Shuttle generating a 1.2 megaton blast if it were
>range-saftied on the pad.
>	5% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA (aka 50% casualty area,
>	meaning that 50% of the people in this area die)
>	Defined as area of 1.2 psi overpressure
>Range Saftey declared on the pad; SRB and ET RS devices are triggered
>5% STRUCTURAL DAMAGE AREA (aka 50% casualty area,
>meaning that 50% of the people in this area die) = 7,341' radius

Unfortunately, this *still* doesn't add up to 1.2MT.  A quick spin of
the old Nuclear Bomb Effects Computer (revised edition, 1964) (an AEC
"publication" -- a circular slide rule -- based on data from The Effects
of Nuclear Weapons) shows a yield just under 10 *kilo*tons to produce
1.2psi overpressure at 7341ft.  This assumes a ground burst, the yield
for optimum burst height is even smaller.  (By comparison, the 1.2psi
overpressure radius for a 1.2MT ground burst is *seven miles*.)  That's
a fairly good case; evidently an exploding rocket doesn't behave quite
the same way as a nuclear bomb, because the yields for your higher-
overpressure radii are even smaller, mostly down in the 2-3kT range.

Could someone using an N.B.E.C. have read the distance scale, which is
in miles, as thousands of feet instead?  It's interesting that your
radius is 7 thousand feet and the 1.2MT radius is 7 miles.

And where did you get the idea that 50% of people die at 1.2psi??
T.E.o.N.W. estimates 50% fatalities at about *fifty* psi and negligible
fatalities below about 35, although some injury to lungs is possible
at 7psi or so in worst-case conditions.

>According to my sources, this compares favorably to the blast
>caused by 1 megaton of TNT.

Can you identify your sources?  They seem to disagree drastically with
the numbers from the US government's bomb-effects experts.
--
With features like this,      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
who needs bugs?               | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu