[sci.space.shuttle] NASA awards contract to develop Advanced Solid Rocket Motor

alvitar@xavax.com (Phillip Harbison) (05/24/90)

In article <1990May18.034636.25886@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry
Spencer) writes:
> In article <4053@castle.ed.ac.uk> ecwu60@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Gillespie)
> writes:
> > ... wasn't one of the reasons for using a segmented design the fact
> > that the company which makes the SRBs is a long way from the Cape,
> > and a single casing design would have been horrendously difficult
> > to transport?
>
> The folks who proposed one-piece SRBs planned to do the motor casting
> in Florida, within easy barge range of KSC.

The ASRBs will be manufactured at an old TVA plant converted to an
ASRB factory, located near the Alabama-Mississippi state lines in
the extreme north-east region of Mississippi.  The location is near
enough to the Tombigbee waterway that it would probably be practical
to have a one-piece design, but I do not know if that is the design
chosen.  After spending a couple billion on the Tombigbee, we might
as well use it for something. :-)

--
Live: Phil Harbison, Xavax, P.O. Box 7413, Huntsville, AL 35807
Uucp: alvitar@xavax.com