[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle crews and citizenship

stinnett@plains.UUCP (M.G. Stinnett) (05/26/90)

In article <30479@ut-emx.UUCP> pjm@ut-emx.UUCP (Phillip MacQueen) writes:
>In article (50112@ames.arc.nasa.gov) (from yee@trident.arc.nase.gov) occurs:
>>     Foale also will make his first space flight.  He was born an
>> American citizen on Jan. 6, 1957, in Louth, England, and considers
>> Cambridge, England, his hometown.
>  Surely these should read something like:
>  ... was born a British citizen in Louth, England, on Jan. 6th, 1957, and
>claimed American citizenship through ... (for example, his parents American
>citizenship).

Not really. The original form states all the information quite clearly,
and is easily understood. Since he (and Lucid) was born in England, he
obviously has, or is eligible for, British citizenship; the "born an
American citizen" simply indicates that at least one of his parents was
an American and thusly he is as well. He didn't have to "claim"
American citizenship; it was already his.

I'm sure that they include the "born an American citizen" bit simply
to stave off questions like, "oh, is this a joint British-American
mission?"

--M. G.

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (05/28/90)

Would it make sense that both of these astronauts were born to parents
who were living on American military instalations abroad at the time of
their birth?  I think it is a real possibility.  Many of my American
friends who were born overseas had parents who were either missionaries
or in the military.
                         - tom

--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas

--
The UUCP Mailer