[sci.space.shuttle] [shuttle] Hubble Images for FTP

tar@hilbert.math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (05/30/90)

roberts@iisat.uucp (Greg Roberts) writes:

>Archive-name: hubble-images/27-May-90
>Archive-site: iris1.ucis.dal.ca [129.173.18.107]
>Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

> I produced 24 GIF images yesterday on the IRIS. They are named i1.gif thru
>i24.gif . The first two are first light images, the 30 second image, and the
>second is the side by side with the Las Campanas image. The resolution is
>about 640X480X256. The other 22 are pre-launch, launch, deploy, some earth
>shots and two landing shots.

At some point iris1.ucis.dal.ca is connected to the rest of the Internet
via a 19200 baud link.  *Slow*.  It took me more than an hour to download
all 24 images (I left after an hour had passed).

Anyway, to help spread the load and keep from tying that link up, I've made
the shuttle gifs available on ftp.cis.ksu.edu in ./pub/shuttle.gif.  They'll
stick around for at least a week.

The pictures themselves are fairly good.  Worth looking at, at least.
Thanks, Greg, for your work.

Tim
--
Tim Ramsey (tar@hilbert.math.ksu.edu)
Dept. of Mathematics, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (05/31/90)

I'd love to get these, but the machine doesn't know the users "anonymous"
or "anon", and ftp doesn't seem to grok the null passwd for guest.

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (06/01/90)

      Any chance of a UUCP site getting at least some of these images ?
      I am particularly interested in the first four of the series.
      (now if I can just find a .gif to LN03 filter......or a means to
       display them on a PC)

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370      {mips,pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
Signetics in Sunnyvale,Ca (USA)
Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships: Every extinction, whether
 animal, mineral, vegetable, or cultural hastens our own demise.