[sci.space.shuttle] Hubble Images for FTP

roberts@iisat.uucp (Greg Roberts) (05/27/90)

 I produced 24 GIF images yesterday on the IRIS. They are named i1.gif thru
i24.gif . The first two are first light images, the 30 second image, and the
second is the side by side with the Las Campanas image. The resolution is
about 640X480X256. The other 22 are pre-launch, launch, deploy, some earth
shots and two landing shots.

The images are available via anon ftp from  IRIS.UCIS.DAL.CA in /Pub/Gif .
The machine had a frame grabber to make these from RGB format and a program
that converted them to gif. It had no other controls except for managing
contrast, brightness, hue and saturation. The quality is not bad considering
it came from video tape off of an 8 foot satellite dish. I am in a fringe
zone for SATCOM, so you will see the noise.

I will not be able to do any other image conversion, since the University is
giving the machine back to SGI on Thursday, but I will try to do some others
for people of the close encounter images I have of Voyager last summer. I have
about 35 hours of tape of these images, and the quality is about the same, but
b&w may be a touch better.

The files add up to be about 2 Mb in size, so mailing is impractical, but if
you send me a disk, I will put them on and send it back. I would also like
some comment on what you all think.

Cheers..
--
Greg Roberts	              International Information Service (IIS)
                              UUCP:  {uunet,utai,watmath}!dalcs!iisat!roberts

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) (05/28/90)

Greg Roberts writes:
#The images are available via anon ftp from  IRIS.UCIS.DAL.CA in /Pub/Gif .

Do you have an internet numeric address for this? My nameserver does
not know about this site.

Thanks in advance.

--
-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (05/31/90)

In article <1990May27.185301.7800@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) writes:
|> Greg Roberts writes:
|> #The images are available via anon ftp from  IRIS.UCIS.DAL.CA in /Pub/Gif .
|>
|> Do you have an internet numeric address for this? My nameserver does
|> not know about this site.

I guess Greg made a typo.  The name of the machine is iris1.ucis.dal.ca
(note the 1) and its internet number is 129.173.18.107.

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.

stealth@caen.engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (05/31/90)

In article <5712@helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
>In article <1990May27.185301.7800@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
>gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg S. Hennessy) writes:
>|> Greg Roberts writes:
>|> #The images are available via anon ftp from  IRIS.UCIS.DAL.CA in /Pub/Gif .
>
>I guess Greg made a typo.  The name of the machine is iris1.ucis.dal.ca
>(note the 1) and its internet number is 129.173.18.107.

I get the following:

ftp>  close
221 Goodbye.
ftp> open iris1.ucis.dal.ca
Connected to iris1.ucis.dal.ca.
220 IRIS1.UCIS.DAL.CA FTP server (SGI 3.2 version 4.160 Aug 19 1989 04:53) ready.
Name (iris1.ucis.dal.ca:stealth): anonymous
530 User anonymous unknown.
Login failed.
ftp>

What's the story?
Thanks for your help...
--
Michael V. Pelletier		| "We live our lives with our hands on the
 CAEN UseNet News Administrator	|  rear-view mirror, striving to get a better

ngregory@opus.uucp (Nathan Gregory) (06/02/90)

In article <1990May27.130400.26902@iisat.uucp> roberts@iisat.uucp (Greg Roberts) writes:

> I produced 24 GIF images yesterday on the IRIS. They are named i1.gif thru
>i24.gif . The first two are first light images, the 30 second image, and the
>second is the side by side with the Las Campanas image. The resolution is
>about 640X480X256. The other 22 are pre-launch, launch, deploy, some earth
>shots and two landing shots.
>
>The images are available via anon ftp from  IRIS.UCIS.DAL.CA in /Pub/Gif .

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I get to this.  I have used anonymous FTP
other places with success, but here I get "user anonymous unknown".  Is there
another convention other than anonymous and guest?  I tried inverting and
using guest with anonymous and that failed for lack of proper password.  I
also tried several other combinations without success.  Help...

Nathan