[sci.space.shuttle] Availability of procedure manuals or checklists?

ME.DMG@forsythe.stanford.edu (David Gaba M.D.) (06/02/90)

In article <SHAFER.90May7083624@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>,
shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) writes:
>In article <344.26423266@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG> Mark.Perew@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Perew) writes:
>
>   The [USAF] dash-one manuals contain the instructions for configuring the
>   plane for flight, in flight procedures, emergency procedures, etc.
>
>   Is there a functional equivalent to the dash-one for the Shuttle?
>
>Yes.  I don't know its title, but you will occasionally see the Mission
>Controller with one.  I have a few pages copied from it for some stuff
>that I was working on.
>
>However, I believe that they use flight cards on the Shuttle missions.
>Since each mission is different and each Shuttle is different, it's
>better to generate a set of procedures and checklists cards for each
>flight.  This would essentially be a specific "Dash-1" for each
>flight.  You may remember discussions of sending new flight cards to
>the Shuttle during missions.
>
>Incidentally, the US Navy equivalent of the Dash-1 is the NATOPS manual.

Is it possible to buy these operations manuals or checklist cards?
We are working in anesthesiology to prepare manuals of emergency
procedures analogous to these kinds of things (surprisingly perhaps
anesthesiologists don't currently have such aids).  While I don't
expect to understand all of the manuals and lists (I am familiar
with flight and space issues) I would be very interested in seeing
the formats, layouts, philosophies, etc.  Can anyone help me on
this?

David Gaba, M.D., Asst. Prof. of Anesthesiology, Stanford
me.dmg@forsythe.stanford.edu
415-858-3938
Anesthesia Service, 112A
Palo Alto VAMC