[sci.space.shuttle] hubble, anon ftp

roberts@iisat.uucp (Greg Roberts) (05/31/90)

I am not sure why people cannot log onto the IRIS1 account using the
password anonymous. A number of people earlier on have sent mail indicating
successful ftp of the images. I got 3 letters today indicating a problem.

I do not have an account on this machine (IRIS1.ect). A don't even attend
the university where it is located. I will try to find out what the problem
is tomorrow. My biggest problem is that I am not on the internet, so I rely
on others to tell me when they have problems. I will try to sort them out
and will post something, hopefully good news tomorrow (May 31).

BTW, my  last count is that 80 people have gotten the pictures, and 8 have
written to mail me disks. For those that wish to mail me disks, no problem.
I need two formatted 5.25" 1.2Mb disks. For those of you in the US or outside
Canada, I cannot use foreign stamps to mail from Canada, so other accomod-
ations will have to be made. Just write, and I will mail my address.

Thanks for your patience.
--
Greg Roberts	              International Information Service (IIS)
                              UUCP:  {uunet,utai,watmath}!dalcs!iisat!roberts

marinell@ac.dal.ca (05/31/90)

In article <1990May30.231459.18567@iisat.uucp>, roberts@iisat.uucp (Greg Roberts) writes:
> I am not sure why people cannot log onto the IRIS1 account using the
> password anonymous. A number of people earlier on have sent mail indicating
> successful ftp of the images. I got 3 letters today indicating a problem.
>

> BTW, my  last count is that 80 people have gotten the pictures, and 8 have

1) I have disabled anonymous FTP to IRIS1.UCIS.DAL.CA between the hours of
   8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Atlantic Time.  I was forced to do this because
   we have had over 800 connections since Monday morning.  Our Internet line
   is only 19200 baud, so it caused a major amount of conjestion on the
   branch of the net that we are in.

2) As I mentioned above the number of accesses to our site is about 800, not
   the 80 the Greg has mentioned in his article.

   Other sites are now making their copies of Greg's images public. This
   will make access to the images much easier.

Kevin Marinelli
System Manager
Iris1.Ucis.Dal.Ca

email = marinell@ac.dal.ca

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (06/03/90)

them to the SPACE archive on ames.arc.nasa.gov.  We are well connected
to the NSFNet, MILNET, BARRNET, NSI, and other nets.  The files may be
retrieved via anonymous ftp (which we do support).  The archive-server
can not currently send these files since they are in a binary (GIF) format.
It will try however, so you can get garbage if you ask for it.  I'm open
to suggestions as to what would be the best format to put the files
in, both for UNIX users and PC users.

						-Peter Yee
						yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov
						ames!yee