[sci.space.shuttle] Hubble, archive-server

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (06/04/90)

In article <50834@ames.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
>The archive-server
>can not currently send these files since they are in a binary (GIF) format.

Since I used to be one of those "low lifeforms" that couldn't meet such
basic human needs as an Internet connection :-) I have pitty on those
"without".  I got a copy of those images a while back, and I've just made
them available via archive-server@plains.nodak.edu (running the Clarkson
archive server), which can do uuencoding and btoa.  We are poorly connected
to the internet over a 19.2KB line, so the files are only available via the
archive-server ("gif" is a soft link from ~ftp/pub to ~overby, which is why
FTP won't work).

You will find them in "gif/hst", and many more space-related images under
"gif".  I don't have any porno gifs, so don't bother looking for them.

I DO NOT PLAN TO KEEP THIS DIRECTORY UP LONG (MAYBE A WEEK).

I set the archive-server up primarily as a server for Minix related stuff,
so substitute "HST GIFS" for "Minix" in the following formal announcement.

Bitnet people beware that IBM "NOTE"s to fileserv@plains does NOT work; you
have to use a mailer.

I don't know how the archive server splits files over it's size limit (100K
due to our sendmail.cf constraints).  Good luck!

An archive of Minix upgrades and other interesting files are kept
in    a    manually-maintained    archive   on   Plains.NoDak.edu
[134.129.111.64].

This archive is accessible via anonymous ftp, as well as  with  a
mail server.

USING THE MAIL SERVER

For those not fortunate enough to be on the Internet  itself,  we
run the Clarkson server to process mail requests.  This is an ex-
tremely versatile program, that allows various  encoding  formats
(btoa,  uuencode), compression (compress, arc, zoo) and splitting
of large files.  The server has been customized to send HELP  and
Index  files  at  any time, and all other files between 23:00 and
08:00 local time.  If you submit a request  that  contains  *any*
file  that  is  not  a  Help or Index file, the entire request is
queued until late night (currently 23:00 local time, but that may
be  moved  to  earlier  hours of the morning if it proves to be a
large load on the system).

The addresses for the server are:
     archive-server@plains.nodak.edu
     {umn-cs, ogicse, uunet}!plains!archive-server (UUCP)
     fileserv@plains (Bitnet)

Note to Bitnet people: this server is not 'logged on' to the machine, so you
cannot send it interactive messages.  The 'fileserv' alias was added for
those of you who do not run the Croswell mailer, but you must still use
something that is detect- able as mail (such as a NOTE) *VIA THE MAILER*.
Bitnet files will drop into our bit bucket, unprocessed, since there is no
real user by either of these names.

To obtain a list of the files, the INDEX command is used:

     index [ <directory> ]

where <directory> is a directory under our ~ftp/pub login  (empty
for  the main directory).  There are several other directories of
programs for Microcomputers, current volumes  for  comp.sources.*
and some of the Free Software Foundation's products.

The SEND command is used for having files sent to  you,  such  as
in:

     send Minix/doc/Info_Sheet

That file is a copy of  the  monthly  "Minix  Information  Sheet"
posting.   The  Minix Compatibility list is available in the file
"Minix/doc/Compatibility".

There are many more options  for  having  your  files  compressed
(note:  most files in these directories already have been), uuen-
coded, split, and so on.   To  obtain  more  information  on  the
server, send the command:

     help

and you will be enlightened.

The server accepts commands in mixed case, but all directory/file
names are case significant (just like Minix).

A cautionary note: this server is  somewhat  'probational';  that
is,  if  it  turns  out  to be a serious load on our CPU, mailer,
postmaster, and network links then it will be shut down (and then
your  only  alternative will again be that listserv thing over on
our IBM Iron Pig).  Use with moderation.

This    archive     is     maintained     by     Glen     Overby,
<minix@plains.nodak.edu>,  at North Dakota State University, Far-
go, ND USA (46 52 N / 96 48 W city)
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>