[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Status for 05/31/90

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (06/03/90)

                         Kennedy Space Center Shuttle Status
                         Thursday, May 31, 1990  11:00 a.m.

                   STS-35 -- COLUMBIA (OV-102)  -  LAUNCH PAD 39-A

               Technicians continue inspections of the shuttle Columbia's
          17 inch disconnect area to isolate the leak in the liquid
          hydrogen line that caused managers to scrub Wednesday morning's
          launch attempt of Space Shuttle Mission STS-35.

               At 5:00 p.m. yesterday, the remaining liquid hydrogen boiled
          off from the external tank and was replaced with an inert gaseous
          helium purge. At 3:15 a.m. this morning, workers gained access
          into the orbiter's aft compartment for a visual inspection. At
          4:00 a.m., the first low pressure leak checks were performed with
          the 17 inch disconnect valve remaining in the open configuration.
          The external tank was pressurized up to 10 psi, however, no leaks
          were detected in the disconnect seals. Leak checks were also
          taken near the vent ports, on the post actuator drive, and the
          shaft seals, in the locked and unlocked position. No leaks were
          detected.

               A visual inspection was made of the 17 inch foam insulation
          on the feed lines. No problems were identified.

               The detailed examination has resulted in discovery of a leak
          in a 1/4 of an inch diameter flex line connector which is a part
          of the LH2 manifold.

               Continued troubleshooting will include leak checks to
          determine if the leak rate can explain the quantities of hydrogen
          detected in the aft compartment during propellant loading Tuesday
          evening.

               Later this morning, the 17 inch disconnect valve will be
          closed and engineers will visually look for any obvious abrasions
          in the welds on the joints. Then the external tank will be
          pressurized to 25 psi and a small volume helium decay check will
          be performed in an effort to duplicate the leak and pin-point its
          location.

               At 2:00 p.m. today, following the conclusion of the low
          pressure leak checks, the orbiter's on-board PRSD tanks will be
          drained of their cyrogenic propellants. This operation will take
          six to eight hours to complete. Following this, the payload bay
          doors will be opened allowing workers to gain access to the
          ASTRO-1 payload for servicing.

               Mission managers will be meeting throughout the day today to
          discuss options for scrub turn-around.

fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip M Gieszczykiewicz) (06/04/90)

>                         Kennedy Space Center Shuttle Status
>                         Thursday, May 31, 1990  11:00 a.m.
>
>                   STS-35 -- COLUMBIA (OV-102)  -  LAUNCH PAD 39-A
>

>               A visual inspection was made of the 17 inch foam insulation
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>          on the feed lines. No problems were identified.
>
>               Later this morning, the 17 inch disconnect valve will be
>          closed and engineers will visually look for any obvious abrasions
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>          in the welds on the joints. Then the external tank will be

	Greetings. About the underlined text:

	Interesting, anyone know why they don't use better and more
precise methods like ultrasound or Xrays to find faults in welds.
If industry uses such technology then why doesn't the STS team?
Or am I missing the point - "visual inspection" IS those methods?

	It just seems to me that, from my _limited_ expirience, welds
tend to crack and waken on the INSIDE; not where a visual inspection
will catch them...

Anyone? Take care.
"The Force will be with you, always." It _is_ with me and has been for 10 years
Filip Gieszczykiewicz "..of future fame...." "Ok! So I have a dream..."
FMGST@PITTVMS  or  fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu "My ideas. ALL MINE!!"

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (06/05/90)

In article <24675@unix.cis.pitt.edu> fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) writes:

>	Interesting, anyone know why they don't use better and more
>precise methods like ultrasound or Xrays to find faults in welds.
>If industry uses such technology then why doesn't the STS team?
>Or am I missing the point - "visual inspection" IS those methods?
>	It just seems to me that, from my _limited_ expirience, welds
>tend to crack and waken on the INSIDE; not where a visual inspection
>will catch them...

Not necessarily. First you do a visual inspection to see if there is
anything obviously wrong. Pretty difficult to do X-ray on an installed
component. Their helium signature leak test is supposed to catch out-of-
limits leakage. Helium is a "small" molecule and will penetrate a leak
for detection by sensors and spectrum analyzers. There is probably a
nominal leakage signature(s) for various parts of the engine compartment
and ET.
.........Peter Jarvis.........Physio-Control Test Engineering