[sci.space.shuttle] Igniting SSMEs

dsmith@hplabsb.HP.COM (David Smith) (06/25/90)

In article <721@digi.lonestar.org> msissom@digi.lonestar.org (Marc Sissom) writes:
>If a launch directly into a transfer was done,
>there would be no need for an SSME restart.

Also savings in fuel, since you don't have to raise perigee out of the
atmosphere.  However, the parking orbit allows more freedom in placement
of the virtual launch pad.

>Does the OMS have enough capacity to brake into a lunar orbit,
>then transfer back into an earthbound trajectory?

I hardly think so.  The shuttle news clips mention delta-V from OMS around
300 mph (maybe double: 300 to get up, and 300 to get down).  Firing into
and out of lunar orbit takes about 2 x 3000 mph delta-V.  That's pretty
close to the amount needed for translunar injection from LEO.

--
"Some fear that Newtonian physics	| David R. Smith, HP Labs
governs superpower relations:		| dsmith@hplabs.hp.com
    Time Magazine, interviewing Gorbachev, June 4, 1990