[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Endeavor

vortex@vpnet.chi.il.us (Jason J. Levit) (07/05/90)

  Does anyone know just exactly when the Shuttle Endeavor will be
  completed and when it's supposed to make it's maiden flight?

  Also, is it and different than any of the other shuttles?  Anything
  designed differently?

:     A good planet is hard to find.                Jason J. Levit           :
:         Let's save this one!                      vortex@vpnet.chi.il.us   :
                               APPLE II FOREVER!

mmachlis@athena.mit.edu (Matthew A Machlis) (07/06/90)

The Endeavor, according to current plans, will make its maiden flight in
1992 or 93, I forget which, when it will be sent up to reboost the ailing
Intelsat communications satellite that Martin Marietta misfired.  they
will actually be bring up an upper-stage and strapping it onto the satellite
in orbit for reboost.

The only significant design change I know of is that Endeavor will have a
drag chute for landing, which will also be retrofitted to all orbiters
when practical.

Matt Machlis
MIT Space Systems Laboratory
(617)253-2272

lybeck@plains.UUCP (Eric Lybeck) (07/07/90)

It might be a good idea to check out the manifest.  It is avalible from the
ames.arc.nasa.gov FTP site in /pub/SPACE.  It is rather large, but it lists
   Shuttle Missons through 96
   Previous Shuttle Flights
   Expendable Flights
   and has a Nice glossary.
(Well, I am not so sure about through 96, but I think I am).

As for endeavor, I think it was manifested for 1993.

Eric Lybeck

dieter@rwthinf.UUCP (Dieter Kreuer) (07/12/90)

In article <5227@plains.UUCP>, lybeck@plains.UUCP (Eric Lybeck) writes:
> It might be a good idea to check out the manifest.  It is avalible from the
> ames.arc.nasa.gov FTP site in /pub/SPACE.  It is rather large, but it lists
>    Shuttle Missons through 96
>    Previous Shuttle Flights
>    Expendable Flights
>    and has a Nice glossary.

I just logged on that machine, typed ls, and got swamped by a directory
of 25 kchars with filenames like '12.23.1989'. Which files contain informa-
tion on Shuttle missions? I'm only interested in the date, as I plan to visit
Florida next March and would like to watch one of the birds launching.
Perhaps other readers of this group are also interested in what the contents
of all these files might be.

   Dieter Kreuer, Lehrstuhl Informatik IV, Ahornstr.55, D-5100 Aachen
        dieter@informatik.rwth-aachen.de = dieter@rwthinf.uucp