[sci.space.shuttle] Can anyone identify these pictures

broderic@remus.rutgers.edu (Alfred J. Broderick) (07/24/90)

(Sorry, this has nothing to do with the shuttle, but I thought you
guys would know something about this...)

In a recent computer magazine advertisement there is a picture that looks
a lot like a rocket sled experiment.  The advertisement consists of
three
still photographs.  In the first photo there is the face of a very clean
cut looking white male, possibly in his early thirties, wearing some black
eye protectors.  In the second picture his face is disfigured and in
the
last photo his face is very stretched and compressed generally all messed
up.

Does anyone know what was happening in this photo?  (If I had a
scanner I
would post a bitmap for you.)  I want to know if the man in the photo
survived this experience okay.  When and why did the even take place?
Were the eye protectors added tothe photograph by an artist of did the
man really wear them in the experiment? (I think they look fake.)

If it is a picture of a rocket sled experiment, is there a book that has
more information on such experiments?

Thanks,

Alfred
broderic@rutgers.edu

In article <Jul.24.02.02.22.1990.22224@remus.rutgers.edu> broderic@remus.rutgers.edu (Alfred J. Broderick) writes:
>...In the second picture his face is disfigured and in
>the
>last photo his face is very stretched and compressed generally all messed
>up.
>
>Does anyone know what was happening in this photo? ...

This is very probably from John Stapp's rocket-sled experiments, in which he
was exposed to very high decelerations, 40+ gees as I recall, momentarily.
A good book on aerospace medicine would probably have more detail.
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

roberts@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Tim Roberts) (07/26/90)

In article <Jul.24.02.02.22.1990.22224@remus.rutgers.edu> broderic@remus.rutgers.edu (Alfred J. Broderick) writes:
>  In the second picture his face is disfigured and in
>last photo his face is very stretched and compressed generally all messed
>up.
>Does anyone know what was happening in this photo?

As I recall, the poor fellow was paid to look into the air blast coming
out of a mach 6 wind tunnell.  <the experiment was centered around
helmetless ejections from very fast aircraft>  I saw the test movies on
a television show called "The Sixties" and the guys eyelids swelled to
huge proportions as well as his cheeks.  The coverings are real over his
eyes though.  >He felt no acceleration since he was sitting still.

raymond@europa (Raymond Man) (07/27/90)

In <Jul.24.02.02.22.1990.22224@remus.rutgers.edu> Alfred J. Broderick asked:

and in <1122@larry.sal.wisc.edu> Tim Roberts wrote:
>As I recall, the poor fellow was paid to look into the air blast coming
>out of a mach 6 wind tunnell.  <the experiment was centered around
>helmetless ejections from very fast aircraft>  I saw the test movies on
>a television show called "The Sixties" and the guys eyelids swelled to
>huge proportions as well as his cheeks.  The coverings are real over his
>eyes though.  >He felt no acceleration since he was sitting still.

I believe Tim is not making this as a post for rec.humor, but mach 6
air blast is too much to swallow. I do not know if erosion of the flesh
or kinetic burning or impact concussion will kill the poor fellow first,
but anyway it a spectacular way to go. From Alfred's description, I think
it is about the human g-limit tolerance test done by an USAF colonel
and probably there was a NASA type report on the results. I remember
seeing similar pictures in a high school Physics text and also heard
an AE professor talked about him. The colonel was probably the most macho
man ever, volunteered himself for research and came back once with a
broken limb and another with his eyeball in his palm, after it was popped
out of it socket by the g-force. I regret that I can remember his name.
Just call me `Man'.
"And why take ye thought for "    --   Matt. 6:28
raymond@jupiter.ame.arizona.edu