[sci.space.shuttle] Easter Island

manning@arrester.caltech.edu (Evan Marshall Manning) (07/19/90)

I was watching a Nova last night about Easter Island.  They
mentioned that Easter Island is an emergency landing strip
for west-coast shuttle landings.

Do they fly out people for each landing?  Stockpile emergency
gear?

Or could the astronauts land there and have to let themselves out,
just bum around until NASA sends out a plane?

Just curious,
Evan

Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT for so | Evan M. Manning
long.  You feel sleepy.  Notice how restful it is  |      is
to watch the cursor blink.  Close your eyes.  The  |manning@gap.cco.caltech.edu
opinions stated above are yours.  You cannot       | manning@mars.jpl.nasa.gov
imagine why you ever felt otherwise.               | gleeper@tybalt.caltech.edu

In article <manning.648341238@arrester> manning@arrester.caltech.edu (Evan Marshall Manning) writes:
>I was watching a Nova last night about Easter Island.  They
>mentioned that Easter Island is an emergency landing strip
>for west-coast shuttle landings.
>
>Do they fly out people for each landing?  Stockpile emergency
>gear?

What they probably meant to say is that Easter Island is an emergency
landing site for west-coast shuttle *launches*.  Of course, there haven't
been any such launches, and it's most unlikely now that there will ever be.
However, NASA did make some improvements to Easter Island's airport, and
set up some other facilities, before that became clear.  I imagine that
if Vandenberg shuttle launches were being done, they'd have equipment
cached there permanently and emergency crews flown out for each flight.
You definitely want people and equipment on hand, if only because the
OMS/RMS fuel and oxidizer -- still aboard when the shuttle lands -- are
very dangerous chemicals.  (There's also some liquid hydrogen and liquid
oxygen, but they're innocuous by comparison.)

About a decade ago, Harry Stine (writing as Lee Correy) produced a novel,
"Shuttle Down", which graphically described how ludicrously unprepared
NASA was for an Easter Island landing.  Some of the preparations were
made partly as a result of the embarrassment it caused.
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

fischer@dssmv2.mpr.ca (Roger Fischer) (07/19/90)

There is a book called "Shuttle down" that describes a scenario of an
emergency landing on Easter Island. I think it is written by Lee Corey (sp?).
It is well worth reading and apparently it uncovered quite a few holes
in the NASA contingency plan.

Roger
Roger W. Fischer         fischer@mprgate.mpr.ca         fischer@mprgate.UUCP
..seismo!ubc-cs!mprgate!fischer     ...ihnp4!alberta!ubc-cs!mprgate!fischer

ssquyres@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Steven Squyres) (07/20/90)

Several years ago, the then-skipper of the US naval facility at McMurdo
Station in Antarctica cooked up the idea of building an abort strip for
Vandenburg launches at a place called Marble Point, right across the sound
from McMurdo. Not a very practical idea... though it would've been a nice
place to land C-141's. I always kind of liked the idea of a shuttle
swooping in with the Royal Society range looming in the background.

smcgee%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Mcgee) (07/31/90)

In article <manning.648341238@arrester> manning@arrester.caltech.edu (Evan Marshall Manning) writes:

>I was watching a Nova last night about Easter Island.  They
>mentioned that Easter Island is an emergency landing strip
>for west-coast shuttle landings.
>
>Just curious,
>Evan

Just as a related point of interest, in David Brin's new novel (science
fiction) called "Earth", the shuttle Atlantis must have used the Easter
Island emergency landing strip and then been accidentally "dropped" onto
the 747 carrier dammaging both irrepairibly. The shuttle was then stripped
of much of the equipement that could be used on the other shuttles and
then turned into a monument.

I just thought someone might be interested!

Scott

Buttered bread always lands   *   Scott McGee
butter side down! (Unless     *   email : smcgee%albion@cs.utah.edu
it sticks to the ceiling!)    *
      Would YOU mistake these opinions as anyone's but my own?

Scott.Johnson@p0.f7.n391.z8.fidonet.org (Scott Johnson) (07/31/90)

    There is also a very good book called "Shuttle Down" by an author whose
name escapes me. It is about a shuttle that has to emergency land on Easter
Island and what happens when they try to get it out.

N.W. Arkansas' UUCP to FidoNet Connection. If you are interested in connecting
up Contact Kenneth Whelan.   Addresses  postmaster@palace or at 1:391/9(Fido)

97.6 % of All Statistics are Made UP

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (08/01/90)

I couldn't help myself here...

> Just as a related point of interest, in David Brin's new novel (science
> fiction) called "Earth", the shuttle Atlantis must have used the Easter
> Island emergency landing strip and then been accidentally "dropped" onto
> the 747 carrier dammaging both irrepairibly. The shuttle was then stripped
> of much of the equipement that could be used on the other shuttles and
> then turned into a monument.

But was a panel formed to investigate the accidental dropping?! :-)

                         - tom

--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas

--
The UUCP Mailer

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (08/01/90)

In article <305.UUL1.3#5131@mvac23.UUCP> thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) writes:

   I couldn't help myself here...

   > Just as a related point of interest, in David Brin's new novel (science
   > fiction) called "Earth", the shuttle Atlantis must have used the Easter
   > Island emergency landing strip and then been accidentally "dropped" onto
   > the 747 carrier dammaging both irrepairibly. The shuttle was then stripped
   > of much of the equipement that could be used on the other shuttles and
   > then turned into a monument.

   But was a panel formed to investigate the accidental dropping?! :-)

Better be an AIB--Accident Investigation Board--since this would
surely be a Class A mishap.  Cheaper or only minor injuries would
entail an IIB--Incident Investigation Board.

After all, when you run a complex program it's important to find out
what went wrong and to avoid doing it again.

Our most extensive AIBs here at Dryden follow a death, naturally.
We've had a few, but never from the same cause twice, so maybe we do
learn.

--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
           NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

smcgee%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Mcgee) (08/01/90)

In article <81.26B66FFD@palace.fidonet.org> Scott.Johnson@p0.f7.n391.z8.fidonet.org (Scott Johnson) writes:

>    There is also a very good book called "Shuttle Down" by an author whose
>name escapes me. It is about a shuttle that has to emergency land on Easter
>Island and what happens when they try to get it out.

In fact, in the afterword to "Earth", David Brin credits "Shuttle Down" by
Lee Correy as the origin of his "shuttle landed on easter island" idea.

Scott

PS "Earth" is an excellent book!

marc@pinet.aip.org (Marc Wiener) (08/01/90)

In article <81.26B66FFD@palace.fidonet.org> Scott.Johnson@p0.f7.n391.z8.fidonet.org (Scott Johnson) writes:

>    There is also a very good book called "Shuttle Down" by an author whose
>name escapes me. It is about a shuttle that has to emergency land on Easter
>Island and what happens when they try to get it out.

I believe the author was Tom Easton, but it might have been published under
the pen-name Lee Corey. NASA did not have a landing strip at Easter Island
until after the book was published. They claim it is merelly a coincidence.
--

Marc Wiener                    |    marc@pinet.aip.org
American Institute of Physics  |    marc@aip.bitnet

smcgee%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Mcgee) (08/01/90)

I can't help myself here either...

In article <305.UUL1.3#5131@mvac23.UUCP> thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) writes:
>I couldn't help myself here...
>
>> Just as a related point of interest, in David Brin's new novel (science
>> fiction) called "Earth", the shuttle Atlantis must have used the Easter
>> Island emergency landing strip and then been accidentally "dropped" onto
>> the 747 carrier dammaging both irrepairibly. The shuttle was then stripped
>> of much of the equipement that could be used on the other shuttles and
>> then turned into a monument.
>
>But was a panel formed to investigate the accidental dropping?! :-)
>
>                         - tom

In the novel, the monument was just left uncared for and birds, using it
as a roost, dropped ... well, um, droppings ... on it. Was a panel formed
to investigate these droppings as well? [insert multiple smilies here]

pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Aug1.132127.7689@pinet.aip.org>, marc@pinet.aip.org
(Marc Wiener) writes:

> I believe the author was Tom Easton, but it might have been published under
> the pen-name Lee Corey. NASA did not have a landing strip at Easter Island
> until after the book was published. They claim it is merelly a coincidence.

Lee Correy, a pseudonym for G. Harry Stine.  I just read the book after
seeing it mentioned in these bytes.  It prompted a question about the
turnarounds they had to build for the C-5s; they expended much effort in
building these concrete aprons for the C-5s to turn around to take off,
but surely the C-5 has to be towed around anyway, so why couldn't they have
just towed the plane backwards along the runway?  And it would already
be facing into the wind.

This is news.  This is your       |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
brain on news.  Any questions?    |    (pjs@aristotle.jpl.nasa.gov)

kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/02/90)

marc@pinet.aip.org writes:
[Re: _Shuttle Down_]
>I believe the author was Tom Easton, but it might have been published under
>the pen-name Lee Corey.
_Shuttle Down_ was written by G. Harry Stine.  I believe that he did
indeed use the pseudonym of Lee Correy (which has two `r's, by the
way).

Kevin, KE9TV
kenny@cs.uiuc.edy

tif@doorstop.austin.ibm.com (Paul Chamberlain) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Aug1.132127.7689@pinet.aip.org> marc@pinet.aip.org writes:
>I believe the author was ...

Anybody for sci.space.shuttle.fiction?		:-)  :-)  :-)  :-)