[sci.space.shuttle] Board appointed to investigate reasons for damaged shuttle thruster

yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (07/25/90)

  Lisa Malone                                       July 24, 1990
  (407) 867-2468

  KSC Release No. 135-90

  BOARD  APPOINTED  TO  INVESTIGATE  REASONS  FOR  DAMAGED  SHUTTLE
  THRUSTER

       Center  Director  Forrest  McCartney has appointed an inves-
  tigation board to examine the circumstances surrounding damage to
  an orbital maneuvering system (OMS) pod thruster  at  the  Hyper-
  golic  Maintenance  Facility's  (HMF)  east  test cell located in
  KSC's Industrial Area.

       On July 18,  1990,  one of the 14 primary thrusters  on  the
  shuttle  Discovery's  right  OMS  pod was being secured in a test
  stand in the HMF checkout  cell  for  inspections  of  a  leaking
  dynatube.  The  thruster,  mounted  in  a piece of ground support
  equipment,  fell from a work  platform  onto  a  lower  platform,
  creating  an  impression on the shroud between the power head and
  nozzle approximately 4 1/2 inches long by 1/4 inch  deep  by  1/2
  inch  wide.  The  weight  of  the thruster and nozzle is about 30
  pounds.   The right pod is being prepared for shipment to the Or-
  biter  Processing  Facility for installation on Discovery for the
  STS-41/Ulysses launch scheduled for October.

       The damaged thruster is being prepared for shipment  to  the
  vendor, Marquardt Co., Van Nuys, Calif. for repairs. In the mean-
  time,  a spare thruster is being prepared for installation on the
  pod.

       Thomas Cain, III, Chief,  Operations Support Branch,  Center
  Support  Operations,  has been named to chair the board.  The two
  other members of the board are Craig Baker, mechanical and fluids
  system engineer,  Mechanical and Structures Section,  STS Payload
  Operations Directorate;  and Mickey Riddle,  NASA Site Manager at
  Launch Pad 39-B.  Ex-officio board  members  are  Patricia  Lynn,
  safety  advisor;  Douglas  Hendriksen,  legal  advisor;  and Lisa
  Malone, public affairs advisor.

       Board functions include investigating the facts  surrounding
  the mishap,  determination of its cause,  assessments of the pos-
  sibility of a recurrence,  and recommendations for corrective ac-
  tion. A final report is due by the end of August.

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (07/25/90)

From article <54666@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, by yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee):
-   BOARD  APPOINTED  TO  INVESTIGATE  REASONS  FOR  DAMAGED  SHUTTLE
-   THRUSTER
- [.....]
-   The  thruster,  mounted  in  a piece of ground support
-   equipment,  fell from a work  platform  onto  a  lower  platform,
-   creating  an  impression on the shroud between the power head and
-   nozzle [....]
-        Board functions include investigating the facts  surrounding
-   the mishap,  determination of its cause,  assessments of the pos-
-   sibility of a recurrence,  and recommendations for corrective ac-
-   tion. A final report is due by the end of August.

The other day, a cup of tea sitting on my table fell off and hit the
floor. Half a pint of tea spread in several directions and the cup
underwent a sudden non-orthogonal transformation.
I am considering setting up a board of inquiry to investigate the facts
surrounding the mishap, determination of its cause, assessments of the
possibility of a recurrence and recommendations for corrective action.
The board will probably consist of my Mum, my Uncle Norman and my pet
dog Biff.

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Sorry folks, I don't mean to undermine the seriousness of this situation
or NASA's professionalism, but it did sound rather funny. Well, *I*
thought so.  ;-)

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, England
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (07/28/90)

In article <54666@ames.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
>  KSC Release No. 135-90
>
>  BOARD  APPOINTED  TO  INVESTIGATE  REASONS  FOR  DAMAGED  SHUTTLE
>  THRUSTER
>
>       Center  Director  Forrest  McCartney has appointed an inves-
>  tigation board to examine the circumstances surrounding damage to
>  an orbital maneuvering system (OMS) pod thruster  at  the  Hyper-
>  golic  Maintenance  Facility's  (HMF)  east  test cell located in
>  KSC's Industrial Area.
>
>       On July 18,  1990,  one of the 14 primary thrusters  on  the
>  shuttle  Discovery's  right  OMS  pod was being secured in a test
>  stand in the HMF checkout  cell  for  inspections  of  a  leaking
>  dynatube.  The  thruster,  mounted  in  a piece of ground support
>  equipment,  fell from a work  platform  onto  a  lower  platform,

Now this is what is really wrong at NASA, appointing a Board of Inquiry
because somebody dropped a part and damaged it. At my job, my boss and
I were installing a delicate and expensive part one night and dropped
it. We both said "Damn!", went and got a spare and got on with the
job. When we told our boss about it the next morning, he said "Damn!,
be more careful next time" and that was that. In the real world, people
drop things, bosses understand that, and getting the job done right and
on time is the important thing. I am willing to bet that the cost in
both money and time of this Board will far exceed the cost of the
damage to the shroud of the thruster.

Gary

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (07/30/90)

In article <1101@ke4zv.UUCP> gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) writes:
> In article <54666@ames.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
> > BOARD  APPOINTED  TO  INVESTIGATE  REASONS  FOR  DAMAGED  SHUTTLE
> > THRUSTER

> Now this is what is really wrong at NASA, appointing a Board of Inquiry
> because somebody dropped a part and damaged it. At my job, my boss and
> I were installing a delicate and expensive part one night and dropped
> it. We both said "Damn!", went and got a spare and got on with the job.

I think it's a little bit more complicated than "Damn".  In this case, we
are talking about a billion dollar airplane/spaceship where ever part is
critical to the safty of the human crew.

Every part that is installed on the shuttle has a procedure.  If the
sequence of events when installing a part differs from the plan (ie, an
accident or otherwise), it should be investigated.  Perhaps the plan is
flawed...in which case other procedures may also be flawed.  Maybe a better
scaffold or work platform is needed.  Maybe the parts themselves are bad.
Maybe the procedure has been flawed for sometime resulting in some hidden
damage.  These types of questions need to answered.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (08/01/90)

In article <1101@ke4zv.UUCP>, gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) writes:
> In article <54666@ames.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:

> At my job, my boss and
> I were installing a delicate and expensive part one night and dropped
> it.

When you dropped this part, was it covered by national news media?
Are you hounded by shareholders who want to know where every penny goes?

There's a lot wrong with NASA, but things didn't get that way in a
vacuum (so to speak...).

drd@siia.mv.com (David Dick) (08/03/90)

In <465@newave.UUCP> john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) writes:

<<a couple of postings and repostings about the dropped-part Board>>

>...  In this case, we
>are talking about a billion dollar airplane/spaceship where ever[y] part is
>critical to the safty of the human crew.

If every part must work perfectly every time, it's a wonder
the shuttle hasn't failed more often.  I would say that
any engineered system in which "every part is critical" is
rather badly designed.

David Dick
Software Innovations, Inc. [the Software Moving Company(sm)]