[sci.space.shuttle] telescope mirrors

pstinson@pbs.org (08/02/90)

Although I use three telescopes, a 3" Maksutov, an 8" Schmidt/Cass. and a 6"
Newtonian, I may not fully understand mirror design.  I just use them.
According to an E-mail, design has no effect on spectral response - only coating
does.  Do other telescope experts out there agree with this?  I was under the
impression Infrared, for example, does not focus at the same point that visible
light does and the thing that effects the focal point the most is the curvature
of the mirror.  I don't see how coating alone is going to solve this problem of
more than one focal point.  If the mirror is going to be used primarily for
infrared work, wouldn't its shape be a bit different?  I do know widefield and
planetary scopes, dedicated to those purposes vary significantly in the
degree of curvature.

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (08/06/90)

I'm not an expert on infrared astronomy, but as a photography hobbyist I am
aware that photographers who use infrared film generally use the same
lenses as for visible light work.  Most lenses have a focusing ring, which
you turn to get the image in focus.  On a single lens reflex or rangefinder
camera, you focus by turning the ring and looking through the eyepiece
without looking at the little numbers engraved on the focusing ring.
These numbers tell you the distance the lens is focussed for.

When using infrared film, you focus the lens, then take your eye away from
the eyepiece and look at the focussing ring.  On the lens body next to the
focusing ring will be a mark indicating which engraved number on the
focussing ring correspond to the focus distance.  On a serious lens for
photography, there will be a second mark, usually indicated in red, for
infrared.  Once you've focussed the lens for the visible light distance,
you then turn the ring so that the same distance is lined up with the red mark.

I don't see how infrared optics would be any different from visible light
optics, except for the coating used on mirrors and the material used for lenses.
After all, parabolic reflectors are used for both optical Newtonian telescopes
and radar antennas.  BTW, I've heard that infrared mirrors use gold as a
coating.

francis@hydracs.ua.oz.au (Francis Vaughan) (08/06/90)

In article <32494@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert
Thorson) writes:
|> When using infrared film, you focus the lens, then take your eye away from
|> the eyepiece and look at the focussing ring.  On the lens body next to the
|> focusing ring will be a mark indicating which engraved number on the
|> focussing ring correspond to the focus distance.  On a serious lens for
|> photography, there will be a second mark, usually indicated in red, for
|> infrared.  Once you've focussed the lens for the visible light distance,
|> you then turn the ring so that the same distance is lined up with the
red mark.

|> I don't see how infrared optics would be any different from visible light
|> optics, except for the coating used on mirrors and the material used
for lenses.
|> After all, parabolic reflectors are used for both optical Newtonian
telescopes
|> and radar antennas.  BTW, I've heard that infrared mirrors use gold as a
|> coating.

For the most part this is correct, but only when talking about conventional
refracting lenses. The different focusing points is due to the fact that
most materials refractive index is dependant upon wavelength. This property
is called dispersion. It is this property that causes both chromatic aberration
and rainbows. A refracting telescope will (if it is any good at all) have a
two element "achromat" lens that is made in two parts, each with a different
refractive index, and a design that attempts to correct the dispersion of
visible light and bring all wavelengths to focus at the same point. (This is
of course impossible, but a reasonable compromise is made.) There do exist
special low dispersion glasses, Nikon's ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens range
use them. They are noticably sharper than lenses using conventional glasses
because of an almost total lack of chromatic aberration. They have the
interesting
property that they have no special infra-red index mark. IR focusses at the
same point as visible wavelengths. They are also unbelivablely expensive.
(Like over $10k for some monsters.)

So much for lens systems. For reflectors there is no such thing as dispersion.
A reflecting telescope has NO chromatic aberration and so long as the
reflecting
coatings reflect the light the image will as good in any wavelength
observed as
another. (Well almost true, if the optics are REALLY diffraction limited
- the HST
was supposed to be, and we hope will eventually be so - the resolution drops
in proportion to the increase in wavelength.) The reason for coating mirrors
with gold and such is that reflectivity at visible wavelengths may have no
bearing on reflectivity at other wavelengths. Silver is transparent to UV (I
think, its been a while since I checked).

Many of the amateur telescopes use special coatings on the mirrors and
corrector plates (taking schmidt-cassegrains here), these would be worse
than useless if one wanted to do work in far wavelengths. Of course the
corrector plate being ordinary glass would absorb many interesting wavelengths
anyway. Schmidt-cassegrains do not suffer from chromatic aberration in the
way refractors do because the light is bent such a small amount when passing
through the corrector and the corrector is so thin that the aberration induced
is undetectable.

						Francis Vaughan

tholen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Tholen) (08/06/90)

In article <32494@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:

> BTW, I've heard that infrared mirrors use gold as a coating.

Some do, usually the secondary mirror.  It's not the reflectivity that makes
gold so desirable.  At infrared wavelengths, aluminim has perhaps 98%
reflectivity and gold has about 99%.  So why go through the expense of
using gold if you only gain 1% more light?  Well, what doesn't get reflected
gets absorbed and then reradiated at thermal wavelengths.  So by going with
gold, you're cutting the emissivity in half -- a big gain if you're working
at thermal wavelengths!

rclark@lpl.arizona.edu (Richard Clark x4971) (08/11/90)

In Message-ID: <9776.26b81e79@pbs.org>

>Although I use three telescopes, a 3" Maksutov, an 8" Schmidt/Cass. and a 6"
>Newtonian, I may not fully understand mirror design.  I just use them.
>According to an E-mail, design has no effect on spectral response - only coating
>does.  Do other telescope experts out there agree with this?  I was under the
>impression Infrared, for example, does not focus at the same point that visible
>light does and the thing that effects the focal point the most is the curvature
>of the mirror.  I don't see how coating alone is going to solve this problem of
>more than one focal point.  If the mirror is going to be used primarily for
>infrared work, wouldn't its shape be a bit different?  I do know widefield and
>planetary scopes, dedicated to those purposes vary significantly in the
>degree of curvature.

With reflective optics the shape, spacing, and tilt of the surfaces are
the only factors controlling the quality of image formation. In the case
of IR the relatively long wavelength relaxes the tolerances to which the
surfaces must be produced for a given image quality. (Quarter wave, 1/10th
wave etc). Although this wave specification refers to the wavefront at the
image, not the actual mirror surface. The coating is not equally reflective
at all wavelengths so that will be a factor in the telescope's efficiency in
collecting light.

With transmissive optics (lenses, corrector plates) the refractive index
is a function of wavelength so these elements introduce the shift in focus
with wavelength. For these elements the same factors as above (surface
figure, element spacing, tilt) and the change in refractive across each
surface (glas-air, flint-crown etc) also effect the power of the surface.

Hence chromatic aberations can be introduced into catadioptric (hybrid
systems with both lenses and mirrors) systems although usually the
refractive element in these is a corrector plate designed to control
spherical aberation (such as introduced by the all spherical surfaces
in the maksutov) and has very little focusing power. So cat systems
essentially free from chromatic aberations. In other words, the focusing
is done by mirrors and the lenses do the correcting.

The achromatization of refractor systems is accomplished by using elements
of different refractive index and dispersion. Dispersion being the rate
at which index changes with wavelength. With the familiar refractor
doublet objective it is possible to have 2 wavelengths focus at the same
point. These wavelengths can be chosen to bracket the wavelength range
that the ccd, film, eye, etc is sensitive to. The other degrees of
freedom (4 surfaces, 2 thicknesses, and one separation) can be used to
control the non chromatic aberatic aberations like spherical, coma, or
distortion.

Hope the questions I answered are close to the ones you were asking.