[sci.space.shuttle] Various leak check questions

tif@doorstop.austin.ibm.com (Paul Chamberlain/32767) (08/22/90)

In article <56279@ames.arc.nasa.gov> yee@trident.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:
>Window number six on the starboard side of the orbiter which had
>a small impairment was removed and a new window has been installed.

How do they check a window for leaks?  Do they check the entire
cabin for leaks as well?  Another thoughts: to test for ~1 atmosphere
vs. a vaccuum, would they use ~2 atmospheres on earth?

>Tire leak checks have been completed ...

I never thought about it before but that must be some tire (and some
clever kind of leak check) to go into a vaccuum and then take a beating
on the landing too.

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM         tif@doorstop, sc30661@ausvm6
512/838-7008     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif