[sci.space.shuttle] Differences in appearance between shuttles

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (08/21/90)

I am presently nearing completion (only taken me 3 years!) of a Revell
model Shuttle (the largest one) and I am trying to make mine as close in
appearance to Columbia as possible (although the kit is really for
Challenger).  I have lots of colour photos of the various orbiters and I
am struck by the differences in appearance - that is, the tiling colour
patterns, especially on the upper wing surfaces.

Can anyone knowledgable comment on why they are so different?
Do tiling configurations vary between flights? I notice also that the
RCS nozzles appear to be red-oxide brown. Is this their normal colour?
I've painted mine gunmetal grey!

Also (a minor point, this) I notice that Atlantis and the former
Challenger have/had "USA" and the US Flag on the upper left wing, and "NASA"
and "Atlantis"/"Challenger" on the upper right wing, whereas Columbia
has just the US Flag on the upper left, and "USA" on the upper right
wings, as far as I can make out from the pictures available. Any reason
for not making them the same? I don't have any Discovery pictures to
hand so cannot check that.

Lastly, a query on the Apollo command module. Several photographs that I
have, show the Apollo CM in pre-flight status, as being a deep metallic
blue colour. A few in-space pictures seem to confirm this. Is it true
that they were blue? And why?

Thanks for any help. Replies via followup or email; I don't mind which.

Cheers

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, England
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

In article <3316@syma.sussex.ac.uk> andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:
>Lastly, a query on the Apollo command module. Several photographs that I
>have, show the Apollo CM in pre-flight status, as being a deep metallic
>blue colour. A few in-space pictures seem to confirm this. Is it true
>that they were blue? And why?

The Apollo news reference says the outermost surface was aluminized Mylar,
so its color was the color of whatever it happened to be reflecting at the
moment.
--
Committees do harm merely by existing. | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                       -Freeman Dyson  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

bruce@idsssd.UUCP (Bruce T. Harvey) (08/23/90)

In article <3316@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:
> ... a query on the Apollo command module. Several photographs that I
> have, show the Apollo CM in pre-flight status, as being a deep metallic
> blue colour. A few in-space pictures seem to confirm this. Is it true
> that they were blue? And why?

I'm not sure what the "blue" was (perhaps a protective coating similar to the
tape you pull off the "shiny" parts of your new stereo or answering machine ...
to protect from scratches).

I believe the Apollo Command/Service Modules, while represented as being
"white" were actually, when deployed and in service in the "ether," were
actually a mirror-like silver -- this being a thermal shield to help
reflect most of the sun's energies.  FYI, the Lunar Module, being
mostly a paste-up that would make a Reynolds Aluminum salesman proud,
was protected using "gold" foil.

The "blue" in space may have been a reflection of our good-ole orb,
(as Gene Wolfe puts it) Urth.

Netters, please point out my lies, if any.  But not to me.

bruce@idsssd.UUCP
Bruce T. Harvey  {B-}> |                    ... cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!idsssd!bruce
System Software Dvlpmt | ... idssup!idsssd!bruce  -or- ...ctnews!idsssd!bruce
(301) 329-1100 -- x312 | In*sight Distribution Systems -Hunt Valley, MD 21031

goldader@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jeff Goldader) (08/24/90)

In article <769@idsssd.UUCP> bruce@idsssd.UUCP (Bruce T. Harvey) writes:
>In article <3316@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:
>> ... a query on the Apollo command module. Several photographs that I
>> have, show the Apollo CM in pre-flight status, as being a deep metallic
>> blue colour. A few in-space pictures seem to confirm this. Is it true
>> that they were blue? And why?
>
>I believe the Apollo Command/Service Modules, while represented as being
>"white" were actually, when deployed and in service in the "ether," were
>actually a mirror-like silver -- this being a thermal shield to help
>reflect most of the sun's energies.
>
>Netters, please point out my lies, if any.  But not to me.

I wouldn't call it a lie :-) but the "white" representations
of the command module were true- to a point.  Until separation
of the launch escape system (the solid rocket connected
to the command module, designed to separate the crew from the
vehicle in case of dire emergency) the command module was protected
by a conformal white shell, which jettisoned with the escape tower.
I think it might have been called the "boost protection cover" or
something like that (probable wrong...)

The actual surface of the command module was covered with highly
reflective gold foil.  I have a bunch of pictures in a book here
showing CMs after splashdown, and the color is gold.  Because of
its ability to reflect so well, I agree it looked blue or silver
at times (heck, I've probably seen the same pictures).  The foil
was indeed for thermal control.

Jeff Goldader                        University of Hawaii
goldader@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu      Institute for Astronomy

"It was the Lone Biker of the Apocalypse..."

Disclaimer: They don't know what I say, I don't care what they think, and
we're all happy that way.

dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) (08/24/90)

In article <9102@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, goldader@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jeff Goldader) writes:

> the "white" of the command module [lasted] Until separation of the
Launch Escape System ...

True

> The actual surface of the command module was covered with highly
> reflective gold foil.  I have a bunch of pictures in a book here
> showing CMs after splashdown, and the color is gold.  Because of

Actually, the brownish color you see it the ablative (burns away) reentry
thermal protection AFTER reentry.  Look at it up close, and you will
see that it is a very dull brown.  On orbit, the surface is a shiny reflective
surface.  I have not yet found its exact composition.  Give me a couple of
days.

In summary, THREE colors
1.  On the pad and in the first 2 minutes  WHITE
2.  On-orbit REFLECTIVE
3.  After reentry  DULL BROWN

Perry G. Ramsey           Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
perryr@vm.cc.purdue.edu   Purdue University
dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu    We've looked at clouds from ten sides now,
			  And we REALLY don't know clouds, at all.