[sci.space.shuttle] Most frequently requested info ever

kclenden@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Kevin Clendenien) (08/25/90)

I've always wanted to work for NASA, of course that hasn't happened
yet.  I've always wanted to see a shuttle launch.  Well I have time
to go see the next launch, assuming it really does launch Sept 1., or
even Sept 2, or Sept 3.  I'm currently in Cary, N.C. and have decided
that the 400 mile drive would be well worth it, especially since as
far as I know this launch is supposed to be at night.  So, I'm
requesting any helpful hints, and suggestions that anyone might have on
how to get a good vantage point, what to take along, and info like
that.  Thanks for any help.

kclenden@silver.bacs.indiana.edu                          Kevin Clendenien
BLAST BBS - (812) 332-0573                                BLAST, President
               "I want someone like you, only nicer."

dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) (08/27/90)

In article <55268@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, kclenden@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Kevin Clendenien) writes:
> I've always wanted to see a shuttle launch.  So, I'm
> requesting any helpful hints, and suggestions that anyone might have on
> how to get a good vantage point,

Glad you asked.  Stop in Titusville, NOT Cocoa Beach.  Titusville is much closer
to Complex 39.  You can get an excellent unobstructed view of the launch
from the shores of the Indian River in north Titusville.  Also, the
hotels are more available and cheaper.  This is based on the assumption
that you are a space nerd.  If you want to watch the girls or otherwise
engage in any sort of fun and diversion, go to Cocoa Beach.

Even the press site is a long way from the
pad.  Take some binoculars (10X or better would be good).  A camera
with a good telephoto might be interesting, but I suspect that you would
still end up with a horizion and a couple of spots.  On the other hand,
how could you not try?

SEE the visitors center.  There is a lot of good stuff there.  You
get there on State Road 405, which heads east from south of Titusville.
After the launch, go to Ron Jon Surf Shop (the only reason to go to
Cocoa Beach)(take US 1 to SR 528) and get a Space Shuttle shirt.
If you are into wildlife, see about the Black Point Wildlife Drive, which is on
the Merrit Island Wildlife Refuge.  You get there by going across the river
on SR 402 in north Titusville.

This is based on 10 years of Apollo watching while I lived in Titusville.
(You thought this was a biased account, didn't you?)

Cocoa scum, flame away!  I have the truth on my side!

--
Perry G. Ramsey           Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
perryr@vm.cc.purdue.edu   Purdue University

wherry@alazif.enet.dec.com (bradley g wherry) (08/28/90)

In article <5414@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey)
writes:
|> In article <55268@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, kclenden@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
(Kevin Clendenien) writes:
|> > I've always wanted to see a shuttle launch.  So, I'm
|> > requesting any helpful hints, and suggestions that anyone might have on
|> > how to get a good vantage point,

There is a small park next to the Howard Johnson's and across US 1
from the Titusville Chamber of Commerce.  This is an excellent vantage
point.

my suggestion has to do with what to do AFTER the launch.

|> Glad you asked.  Stop in Titusville, NOT Cocoa Beach.  Titusville is much
closer
|> SEE the visitors center.  There is a lot of good stuff there.  You
|> get there on State Road 405, which heads east from south of Titusville.
|> After the launch, go to Ron Jon Surf Shop (the only reason to go to
|> Cocoa Beach)(take US 1 to SR 528) and get a Space Shuttle shirt.
|> If you are into wildlife, see about the Black Point Wildlife Drive, which is
on
|> the Merrit Island Wildlife Refuge.  You get there by going across the river
|> on SR 402 in north Titusville.

I absolutely whole-heartedly agree 100 percent.

After the Launch, I would highly, highly recommend eating dinner/lunch
at the "DIXIE Crossroads".  This is in fact on SR402  aka Garden Street
aka the first exit off I-95 into Titusville (Playalinda Beach Exit).

(btw, I have nothing to do with them other than as a very happy customer.)

|> This is based on 10 years of Apollo watching while I lived in Titusville.
|> (You thought this was a biased account, didn't you?)

This is based on 18 years as a resident of this city.  (Though I used to watch
launches from the roof of my house....:-))

|> Cocoa scum, flame away!  I have the truth on my side!

Let them try.

|> --
|> Perry G. Ramsey           Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
|> perryr@vm.cc.purdue.edu   Purdue University
|> dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu    We've looked at clouds from ten sides now,
|> 			  And we REALLY don't know clouds, at all.

--
brad wherry                |  Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam;
wherry@alazif.enet.dec.com |     e luce ad tenebras.