[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle Status for 08/27/90

yee@scam.Berkeley.EDU (Peter Yee) (08/29/90)

             KSC SHUTTLE STATUS REPORT - MONDAY, AUGUST 27 1990  11 A.M.

                        STS-35 - COLUMBIA (OV 102) - PAD 39-A

               Today,  the launch pad is cleared of all non essential  per-
          sonnel  for  the  installation of ordnance devices on the vehicle
          and for  performing  circuit  resistance  checks  of  pyrotechnic
          devices.  Pressurization  of  the  onboard  hypergolic propellant
          tanks is scheduled this afternoon.

               The external tank and power reactant storage  and  distribu-
          tion  system  were  purged over the weekend.  Also completed this
          weekend was replacement and retest of the  forward  load  control
          assembly.

               Columbia and the Astro-1 payload are scheduled for launch on
          Sept. 1. The launch countdown will begin at 1 a.m. EDT Wednesday,
          Aug.  29,  at the T minus 43 hour mark, leading up to the planned
          liftoff at 1:17 a.m. EDT on Saturday, Sept. 1.   An evaluation of
          the  countdown  and launch schedule is set for tomorrow to deter-
          mine the progress of Discovery's VAB processing and targeted  pad
          rollout time.

                       STS-41 - DISCOVERY (OV 103) - OPF BAY 1

               Discovery was spotted in the VAB transfer aisle at 2:35 a.m.
          today.  The  lifting  sling  is  being attached to the orbiter to
          hoist the 100-ton spaceplane into position next to  the  external
          tank  and  solid rocket boosters.  The vehicle is scheduled to be
          hard mated to the tank by tomorrow morning.  Some of the  testing
          of  those connections will be conducted after the vehicle arrives
          at Launch Pad 39-B.

               The  schedules  for  Discovery  and   Columbia   are   being
          evaluated, however, Discovery's rollout to the Launch Pad is tar-
          geted for Friday midnight.

                       STS-38 - ATLANTIS (OV 104) - OPF BAY 2

               Preparations  are underway to repair  the freon cooling sys-
          tem.  Reaction control system regulator  checks  are  continuing.
          Technicians  are  scheduled  to lap the seal groove on the liquid
          hydrogen 17-inch disconnect today.

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (08/30/90)

In article <27284@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, yee@scam.Berkeley.EDU (Peter Yee) writes:
>              KSC SHUTTLE STATUS REPORT - MONDAY, AUGUST 27 1990  11 A.M.
>           Aug.  29,  at the T minus 43 hour mark, leading up to the planned
>           liftoff at 1:17 a.m. EDT on Saturday, Sept. 1.

Oh, boy!  A night launch!  I wish I could be there, but at least I shall
remember to tape it!!

>                        STS-41 - DISCOVERY (OV 103) - OPF BAY 1
>                Discovery was spotted in the VAB transfer aisle at 2:35 a.m.
>           today.

So THERE it is!  I wondered where it had gotten to!	;-)

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

ahughes@arch386.rtp.dg.com (Arch Hughes) (08/30/90)

Do the safety rules for KSC operations allow to shuttles to be
on the pads at the same time?

In article <868@dg.dg.com> ahughes@arch386.rtp.dg.com (Arch Hughes) writes:
>Do the safety rules for KSC operations allow to shuttles to be
>on the pads at the same time?

Yes.  In fact, as I recall, it's happening right now, with Discovery
on the pad while Columbia counts down.

It *is* forbidden for crews to be working on one pad while another is
in the final stages of countdown, though.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

bro@eunomia.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) (09/01/90)

In article <18317@frog.UUCP> john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) writes:
>In article <27284@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, yee@scam.Berkeley.EDU (Peter Yee) writes:
>>                Discovery was spotted in the VAB transfer aisle at 2:35 a.m.
>>           today.
>So THERE it is!  I wondered where it had gotten to!	;-)

Silly, it is just using one of the other meanings of the verb "spot". I
think the new black dots on white background paint job should be quite
striking. :-) :-) :-)

Doug Monk (bro@rice.edu)

Disclaimer: These views are mine, not necessarily my organization's.