[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle & SR-71: Up close & persona

sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/07/90)

/* Written 10:25 am  Sep  5, 1990 by mbullock@ADS.COM in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:sci.space.shuttle */
also related some stories and facts about the aircraft - like the time
when Reagan had an SR-71 do a fly-by at Castro's home in Cuba in the
middle of the night at tree-top level. ZOWIE - what a way to be woken up
in the morning!
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:sci.space.shuttle */

Err, excuse me?  Have I missed something here?  When did this occur?
Sounds like Reagan was more of a show-off than I thought...

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (09/07/90)

In article <52900002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, sfn20715@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> /* Written 10:25 am  Sep  5, 1990 by mbullock@ADS.COM in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:sci.space.shuttle */
> also related some stories and facts about the aircraft - like the time
> when Reagan had an SR-71 do a fly-by at Castro's home in Cuba in the
> middle of the night at tree-top level. ZOWIE - what a way to be woken up
> in the morning!
>
> Err, excuse me?  Have I missed something here?  When did this occur?
> Sounds like Reagan was more of a show-off than I thought...

Doesn't sound likely.  Mostly because the SR-71's low-level performance
isn't likely to be much better than a number of other aircraft.

During the Cuban Missile Crisis, there was quite a bit of low-level
recce flying going on, mostly with RF-101s.

Wouldn't be suprised if JFK OK'd doing something of the sort then, or
that such activity wasn't the germ behind the story.

--
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes