[sci.space.shuttle] Two shuttles at a time?

v071pzp4@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Craig L Cole) (09/08/90)

Could NASA support two shuttles in space at the same time?

Ulysses, of course, has priority over Astro, but if Astro gets delayed
for much longer, it might have to compete with Ulysses for a launch date.

I think a rendevous of two shuttles would make for specatcular TV coverage
and give NASA some much needed GOOD press.

Maybe an MMU flight or two between the shuttles... It would make
Apollo/Soyuz look downright primitive!

                                       Craig Cole
                                       V071PZP4@UBVMS.BITNET
                                       V071PZP4@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (09/08/90)

In article <35201@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v071pzp4@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Craig L Cole) writes:

>I think a rendevous of two shuttles would make for specatcular TV coverage
>and give NASA some much needed GOOD press.

Please no press stunts. The last one was Challenger's last flight. Unless
you are going to do Good Science, no way. We are having enough trouble getting
them off one bird at a time...
				Doug

In article <35201@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v071pzp4@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>Could NASA support two shuttles in space at the same time?

It is not theoretically impossible; back in the optimistic days very early
in the program, there was some planning for the possibility.  However, the
current support systems are very much oriented to one-at-a-time missions.
I doubt that it would be tried except in dire emergency.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (09/12/90)

In article <35201@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> Craig Cole writes:
>Could NASA support two shuttles in space at the same time?

Given NASA's current record, two shuttles being launchable at the same time
seems less likely than me winning the California Lottery.

>I think a rendevous of two shuttles would make for specatcular TV coverage
>and give NASA some much needed GOOD press.

Just launching ONE shuttle would give NASA some much needed GOOD press.

>Maybe an MMU flight or two between the shuttles... It would make
>Apollo/Soyuz look downright primitive!

The current state of the shuttle program makes the shuttle look downright
primitive!

If it isn't obvious, I'm pretty depressed by the current state of things
with NASA.  My confidence in NASA being able to manage things properly and
avoid another Challenger is all but gone.

I'd love to be convinced otherwise.
--
	Roger L. Long
	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com