[sci.space.shuttle] Why is voluntary work excluded?

nraoaoc@nmt.edu (Daniel Briggs) (09/10/90)

In article <SHAFER.90Sep5111310@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>
 shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) writes:
>So short of funds that we've all gotten the dreaded furlough letter.
>NASA is legally required to give us 30 days notice of a furlough and
>the letter says it may be as long as 22 days.  At this time,
>management is predicting that we'll only be in a non-pay status for
>one day in October.  Non-pay status means that we don't get paid and
>we can't come to work, even as volunteers.

I'm just curious, Mary, as to why voluntary work is specifically excluded.
Is it simply that they want to *completely* close down in the installation,
(ie.  heaters, janitors, non-gate guards, and so on) and that anyone
coming into the work area would be a problem this way, or is there some
more obscure reason?

--
This is a shared guest account, please send replies to
dbriggs@nrao.edu (Internet)

bruce@idsssd.UUCP (Bruce T. Harvey) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep10.054830.27039@nmt.edu>, nraoaoc@nmt.edu (Daniel Briggs) writes:
> In article <SHAFER.90Sep5111310@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>
>  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) writes:
> > ... material deleted ...
> >                     Non-pay status means that we don't get paid and
> >we can't come to work, even as volunteers.
>
> I'm just curious, Mary, as to why voluntary work is specifically excluded.
> Is it simply that they want to *completely* close down in the installation,
> (ie.  heaters, janitors, non-gate guards, and so on) ...

I'll bet it's for "insurance/liability" reasons.  If someone is not being
paid to be there, they are not acting in the capacity of an "employee,"
therefore they must not be authorized to be there and therefore any
contractural arrangements regarding hazard/comp/etc pay are null and
void in this situation.  This would work in BOTH directions.

But it's just a guess (;-) ...

Bruce T. Harvey  {B-}> |                    ... cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!idsssd!bruce
System Software Dvlpmt | ... idssup!idsssd!bruce  -or- ...ctnews!idsssd!bruce
(301) 329-1100 -- x312 | In*sight Distribution Systems -Hunt Valley, MD 21031

kidd@halley.UUCP (Dave Kidd) (09/12/90)

>  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) writes:
>  Non-pay status means that we don't get paid and we can't come to work,
>  even as volunteers.

I've been told, though it may not apply to government work, that federal
legislation mandates that "non-exempt" (under federal fair labor standards
act) workers MUST be paid for every hour worked, whether they "volunteer"
or not. I guess to avoid an employer mandating such "voluntary" work to get
around minimum wage or overtime standards.

--
David N. Kidd, Tandem Computers, Austin TX
halley!kidd@cs.utexas.edu   (512) 244-8820

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep10.054830.27039@nmt.edu> nraoaoc@nmt.edu (Daniel Briggs) writes:

   In article <SHAFER.90Sep5111310@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>
    shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) writes:
   >So short of funds that we've all gotten the dreaded furlough letter.
   >NASA is legally required to give us 30 days notice of a furlough and
   >the letter says it may be as long as 22 days.  At this time,
   >management is predicting that we'll only be in a non-pay status for
   >one day in October.  Non-pay status means that we don't get paid and
   >we can't come to work, even as volunteers.

   I'm just curious, Mary, as to why voluntary work is specifically excluded.
   Is it simply that they want to *completely* close down in the installation,
   (ie.  heaters, janitors, non-gate guards, and so on) and that anyone
   coming into the work area would be a problem this way, or is there some
   more obscure reason?

Shutting down the facility won't save any R&PM money, since janitors,
guards, power, etc come out of a different fund.

I think that there are two reasons.  The first is to protect the
troops from demands by management for non-voluntary voluntary work.
The second, more minor issue is liability and responsibility.

Also, I think there's some brinksmanship going on here.  The USDA is
saying, for example, that food processing and meat packing plants will
have to be shut down due to the lack of inspectors.  If the inspectors
come trooping in anyway, there'd go that bit of leverage.

I personally believe that the whole thing demonstrates a remarkable
lack of leadership and courage on the part of Congress and the
Administration, but I don't want to be accused of lobbying, so I won't
launch into my jeremiad on the topic.
--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
           NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

In article <974@halley.UUCP> kidd@halley.UUCP (Dave Kidd) writes:

   >  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) writes:
   >  Non-pay status means that we don't get paid and we can't come to work,
   >  even as volunteers.

   I've been told, though it may not apply to government work, that federal
   legislation mandates that "non-exempt" (under federal fair labor standards
   act) workers MUST be paid for every hour worked, whether they "volunteer"
   or not. I guess to avoid an employer mandating such "voluntary" work to get
   around minimum wage or overtime standards.

Yes, this applies to government work, although the rule is that they
must be compensated, not paid.  Thus, they either receive overtime pay
or compensatory time off (known as comp time).  In addition, even
those of us who are exempt receive comp time or pay for extra hours,
since the civil service is on an hourly basis.  I take comp time,
since the regulations on pay make the amount I get for overtime barely
more than my regular hourly rate and I'd rather have the time off
later.

However, the no-voluntary-work-during-the-furlough rule that I was
discussing applies to exempt and non-exempt alike.