[sci.space.shuttle] Galileo vs Ulysses orbits to Jupiter

bsk@portia.Stanford.EDU (Brian Keller) (09/18/90)

In article <15004@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> techpubs@PRC.Unisys.COM (Technical Pub. Vince Short) writes:
>In the STS-41 press kit, we find that:
>
>". . .  After being deployed from Discovery . . .  a two-stage Inertial
>Upper Stage and a single-stage Payload Assist Module will boost Ulysses
>on a trajectory that will take it to Jupiter in 16 months.  . . ."
>
>This is a direct transfer orbit to Jupiter.
>
>My question: if this can be done for Ulysses (direct transfer orbit
>to Jupiter), why couldn't it have been done for Gallileo which
>was sent to Jupiter via a complex Venus-Earth-Earth gravity assist orbit.
>
>Gallileo was launched via Atlantis during mission STS-34 in October 1989.
>However, it only used an Inertial Upper Stage (IUS) without the "assist"
>of a Payload Assist Module (PAM) after the IUS burns.
>
>Why no PAM on Gallileo? Is Gallileo so much heavier than Ulysses? Anyone
>have any numbers (masses, delta v's, etc) for the craft and their orbits?
>Was there just no way to attach a PAM between the IUS and Gallileo?
>Or what?

Yes, Galileo IS much heavier than Ulysses, by a factor of 2 or 3, as far as
I can remember (I wish I had my references with me know).  As a result,
the IUS does not have enough poop to get Galileo on a direct trajectory
to Jupiter.  When the Centaur was going to be used (the plan before
Challenger), both were going to be launched direct within about a month of
each other.  However, after Challenger, there was a crisis about whether
the Galileo mission was even feasible with any of the existing upper stages
that were "allowed".  The only possibilities included using gravity assists
from Venus and Earth.

I used to work at JPL and my former supervisor found the first such trajectory
within 24 hours of a major briefing for NASA as to whether Galileo could still
fly.

Brian Keller
bsk@tunguska.stanford.edu