[sci.space.shuttle] Gallileo vs Ulysses orbits to Jupiter

techpubs@PRC.Unisys.COM (Technical Pub. Vince Short) (09/18/90)

In the STS-41 press kit, we find that:

". . .  After being deployed from Discovery . . .  a two-stage Inertial
Upper Stage and a single-stage Payload Assist Module will boost Ulysses
on a trajectory that will take it to Jupiter in 16 months.  . . ."

This is a direct transfer orbit to Jupiter.

My question: if this can be done for Ulysses (direct transfer orbit
to Jupiter), why couldn't it have been done for Gallileo which
was sent to Jupiter via a complex Venus-Earth-Earth gravity assist orbit.

Gallileo was launched via Atlantis during mission STS-34 in October 1989.
However, it only used an Inertial Upper Stage (IUS) without the "assist"
of a Payload Assist Module (PAM) after the IUS burns.

Why no PAM on Gallileo? Is Gallileo so much heavier than Ulysses? Anyone
have any numbers (masses, delta v's, etc) for the craft and their orbits?
Was there just no way to attach a PAM between the IUS and Gallileo?
Or what?

                                         Joseph M. Fedock
                                         Technical Publications
                                         Unisys Corporation
                                         DS/EISG/VFL
                                         Paoli, PA 19301
                                         (215) 648-2495
                                         techpubs@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM

clj@ksr.com (Chris Jones) (09/18/90)

In article <15004@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, techpubs@PRC (Technical Pub. Vince Short) writes:
>In the STS-41 press kit, we find that:
>
>". . .  After being deployed from Discovery . . .  a two-stage Inertial
>Upper Stage and a single-stage Payload Assist Module will boost Ulysses
>on a trajectory that will take it to Jupiter in 16 months.  . . ."
>
>This is a direct transfer orbit to Jupiter.
>
>My question: if this can be done for Ulysses (direct transfer orbit
>to Jupiter), why couldn't it have been done for Gallileo which
>was sent to Jupiter via a complex Venus-Earth-Earth gravity assist orbit.
>
>Gallileo was launched via Atlantis during mission STS-34 in October 1989.
>However, it only used an Inertial Upper Stage (IUS) without the "assist"
>of a Payload Assist Module (PAM) after the IUS burns.
>
>Why no PAM on Gallileo? Is Gallileo so much heavier than Ulysses? Anyone
>have any numbers (masses, delta v's, etc) for the craft and their orbits?
>Was there just no way to attach a PAM between the IUS and Gallileo?
>Or what?

The mass is the thing.  Galileo is "so much heavier than Ulysses", so you've
got to take the gnergy from wherever you can get it.  Galileo has had a
convoluted history, involving almost every permutation of being two spacecraft
or one, launched from either the shuttle or some other (unmanned) booster,
involving the Shuttle-Centaur or not.  Once it was decided to fly it all
together (orbiter and descent package) on the Shuttle-Centaur, its
configuration was pretty well fixed.  Post Challenger, Centaur in the cargo bay
was thought to be a bad idea, so it was launched by an IUS, and it's going to
take this complicated trajectory to get Galileo to Jupiter, only 9 or 10 years
late (but still ahead of anything comparable).
--
Chris Jones    clj@ksr.com    {world,uunet,harvard}!ksr!clj

In article <15004@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> techpubs@PRC.Unisys.COM (Technical Pub. Vince Short) writes:
>My question: if this can be done for Ulysses (direct transfer orbit
>to Jupiter), why couldn't it have been done for Gallileo...
>... Is Gallileo so much heavier than Ulysses?

Yes.  Ulysses is tiny by comparison.  The first two Shuttle/Centaur launches
were originally going to carry (a) Galileo and (b) a *pair* of Ulysses-class
probes, back in the days before the US reneged on its "commitment" to the
International Solar Polar Mission.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

aoab314@ut-emx (Srinivas Bettadpur) (09/18/90)

In article <15004@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> techpubs@PRC.Unisys.COM (Technical Pub. Vince Short) writes:

>My question: if this can be done for Ulysses (direct transfer orbit
>to Jupiter), why couldn't it have been done for Gallileo which
>was sent to Jupiter via a complex Venus-Earth-Earth gravity assist orbit.
>Why no PAM on Gallileo?

           I am told that this is because Galileo is intended to orbit
Jupiter, and hence must carry retro-rockets, whereas Ulysses is a
Jupiter flyby only.  Shuttle weight constraints were the reason for
the complicated flight geometry for the former.
                                                Srinivas