[sci.space.shuttle] Budget Summit

pstinson@pbs.org (09/13/90)

In article <0093C8E3.24D16320@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU>, sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:

> Let us hope Congress can reach a budget agreement by 1 October...and if they
> can't, THROW THE BASTARDS OUT IN NOVEMBER!!!
I wouldn't put it so strongly, but I do agree with the sentiment behind that
statement.  Many of the current members of Congress have had numerous
opportunities to deal with the budget crisis.  The amount of "progress" they
have made is sickening.  I regard the special sessions at Andrews AFB as the
 last chance for this particular group of Congressman.  If they can't even
 break the log jam in that setting, totally isolated from all distractions of
 the news media,  then we should put someone in office who is willing and able
to get the job done.  No more lame excusses.  Deliver or ship out.   It is up
 to the American voters to hold them accountable for failure to reach a budget
 agreement that deals with the long term problems.  We have seen what these
Congressmen can do, or rather can't.  Let's give someone else a chance to act.
They can't possibly be any worse then the bunch we have now.  A total House
cleaning may be just what this country needs ... and that goes for members of
BOTH parties.

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (09/14/90)

In article <10098.26ee39c4@pbs.org>, pstinson@pbs.org writes:
>In article <0093C8E3.24D16320@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU>, sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>>
>> Let us hope Congress can reach a budget agreement by 1 October...and if they
>> can't, THROW THE BASTARDS OUT IN NOVEMBER!!!
>I wouldn't put it so strongly, but I do agree with the sentiment behind that
>statement.  Many of the current members of Congress have had numerous
>opportunities to deal with the budget crisis.

[cut arguements]

>Let's give someone else a chance to act.
>They can't possibly be any worse then the bunch we have now.  A total House
>cleaning may be just what this country needs ... and that goes for members of
>BOTH parties.

Followups on throwing out Congressmen in talk.politics....

DIFFERENT SUBJECT: If the G-R ax falls on 1 October, how will this affect
shuttle launches, including Ulysses?

In article <0093CA9D.91A2ACA0@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>DIFFERENT SUBJECT: If the G-R ax falls on 1 October, how will this affect
>shuttle launches, including Ulysses?

NASA will toss almost anything else to the wolves for the sake of getting
Ulysses off on time.  However, it doesn't look like it will come to that.
As Mary noted, most of the shortfall can probably be made up by pinching
pennies on support activities temporarily.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

Bob.Underdown@p4.f4.n391.z8.uafcveg.uark.edu (Bob Underdown) (09/21/90)

  > Congressmen can do, or rather can't.  Let's give someone else a
  > They can't possibly be any worse then the bunch we have now.  A
  > total House
  > cleaning may be just what this country needs ... and that goes
  > for members of BOTH parties.

I didn't catch all of it but one party was upset the other day because the other wanted to give a few more tax cuts to the rich...  I sure hope that was wrong because I hate to see anyone get a free ride anymore when we can't balance the budget...

     Bob.Underdown@f4.n391.z1.uafcveg.uark.edu
  The GASLIGHT BBS!  1:391/4 8:391/4  501-444-8420

Bob Underdown - via NetWork node 8:391/12
UUCP: uafcveg!tprs!4.4!Bob.Underdown
INTERNET: Bob.Underdown@p4.f4.n391.z8.uafcveg.uark.edu